Send Topic Print
Very bad cranking (Read 714 times)
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Very bad cranking
07/31/12 at 05:06:23

Bad cranking Ok guys my bike use to start no problems Recently the battery kept going dead So now i have a new one fully charged the bike cranks very slow and at the odd crank starts but kills the battery So i have stripped back all the wiring no breaks or bad conections It just started to crank over very slow and i mean slow even with jump leads from car attached same cranks slow then every odd crank starts And if you take off either jump lead the bike runs bad and clock lights flicker put pos lead back on its fine It seem has thou its drawing a lot of power to me because it use to whiz over when cranking

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Very bad cranking
Reply #1 - 07/31/12 at 05:12:37

Is your decompression solenoid correctly adjusted?

Does it click every time you try to start the bike?

Are your valves correctly adjusted?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #2 - 08/01/12 at 05:37:45

Valves are adjusted corectly and yes the solidnoid clicks and readjusted to 5mm from body of solidnoid done at tdc pulling cable

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/01/12 at 05:55:52

Check the ground on the case, right side. If you crank it & it gets warm there, for sure its resistive, but the easy thing is just bust it loose, clean it up & put it back together. This may be why your other battery bit the weenie,,If that checks good, check all the connections to the battery.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #4 - 08/01/12 at 23:56:24

Thank you for your Do you mean ground on the solinoid

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 08/02/12 at 05:43:31

NO,, Theres a ground on the engine case. Look over where the clutch actuator goes thru the case, its back in there.Of course, a ban connection is a bad connection, so, every one of them needs a lookin at,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 08/02/12 at 06:09:23

If it runs bad when either jumper is removed, the charging system is not working first of all.

If you put the neg jumper on the engine, and the other directly to the started terminal, and it cranks slowly, then the starter is drawing too much current (may be defective) If it just won't crank over, could be because the comp release is not in the circuit.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #7 - 08/03/12 at 01:52:37

I removed the ground and it was clean but still give another clean checked connections all are good Its still the same Can the charging system make it give bad cranking drawing power too much instead of giving it

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 08/03/12 at 06:15:51

A malfunctioning charging system will not cause slow cranking speed, IF the battery is for sure fully charged.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/03/12 at 18:50:02

How about going back to the basics?

I'm going to assume no mechanical problems with the engine if as you say it runs and you haven't done anything lately like taking it apart. If you can push it in gear with the spark plug out and ignition off then it isn't likely something wrong inside the engine.

Remove the spark plug and ground the ignition. Does it spin over better then?  That would indicate that the decompression solenoid isn't doing its job.

If it still spins slow with the plug out then you may have bad wiring or a bad starter. You can do voltage checks. Digital meters are cheap; I got one "free with purchase" with a coupon from HF. For our purposes they are fine.

Connect a good battery, like from a car to the battery terminals through jumper cables. Check the voltage drop from the motorcycle battery terminal negative to the motor case when cranking.  It should be a very low value, like one or two tenths of a volt. Same for the drop between the battery positive terminal and starter terminal.

If the voltage drops are within reason and it still spins slow with the spark plug out check the voltage across the motorcycle battery terminals, with jumper cables connected to a good battery. If that voltage is low then you either have bad jumper cable connections, the car battry is bad or the starter has an internal short.

Turn on the headlights of the car that has the "good" battery. If they go dim or out when you are trying to start the Suzuki then you are drawing too much current or the car battery is shot, not likely if it runs the car OK. Too much current means that the starter has a problem internally.

Let us know what you find.

John in Kalifornia

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 08/03/12 at 21:53:53

If the starter get hot cranking it just a few seconds, thats a clue,mite need to have it tested. Pretty rare to see one fail..
Are you absolutely certain all the Big Wire connections are clean & tite?
I like the PLug OUt idea,
& Look at the decomp on the head, be sure its working,its on the left side, you can follow the cable from the decomp solenoid.

How old is it? How many miles? Mite be in the posts, I missed it if so.,

IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #11 - 08/06/12 at 04:19:45

Ok when you take plug out she spins over no problem So i put plug back bad cranking So i have double checked decompression solinoid adjustment i just nipped it up to 4mm at tdc Still the same problem and it does click everytime you hit start switch but either cranks or just sits there click click

IP Logged
mmg123

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cyprus
Reply #12 - 08/06/12 at 05:16:48

Ps i have removed the sidestand switch because it has never worked since i have had the bike Do i join the black and wire to the green and white wire where i snipped it off .

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #13 - 08/06/12 at 18:24:02

Sounds like 2 things are going on. 1 If when booster cables are connected with the bike running and you remove one of the jumper cables and it starts to crap out your charging system is not working correctly. And 2 if your decomp is adjusted correctly, and it sounds like you have adjusted it correctly, and your solenoid just clicks when you try to start the bike, your battery voltage is too low. Voltage should be 12.75 volts minimum to crank well.

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #14 - 08/06/12 at 18:53:43

Read his lips, he said he got a new fully charged battery.
He said he checked and cleaned all the connections.
Its kinda point'in to a bad starter motor.

Rich
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 08:51:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Very bad cranking

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.