Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Forks by Frank Questions (Read 85 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Forks by Frank Questions
07/22/12 at 12:39:50

Rockin_John installed a set of +4" on his Savage. I read everything I could find concerning them. I even bookmarked and viewed all the photos on his website. I have a question but he hasn't logged in in nearly 2 years. I assume he has moved on.

Anyway, my questions: Has anyone here installed a set of longer tubes without changing any other geometry? What differences did you experience in handling?

I know many will talk about rake and trail. The theory is great. I am looking for someone with real world experience. I installed a 3/4" longer set of spacers to adjust preload and the handling changed a little. I am just curious how much that is amplified with a +2 or +4 kit.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Forks by Frank Questions
Reply #1 - 07/22/12 at 13:02:46

You are talking apples and oranges. Increasing the preload will stiffen the spring, and raise the front a bit, which will change the handling. Did you like the change? Would you like the change magnified ten or twenty fold? Longer forks will decrease the trail (there is your theory) and royally screw up your handling. Frank will not sell you forks longer than 4" over because of the degradation in handling.
I have 4" over stock tubes, but I also increased the rake 9 deg and the handling improved.
There are quite a few guys in Europe that have done it. Maybe wait and see if anyone from across the pond replies.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #2 - 07/22/12 at 13:53:30

arteacher wrote on 07/22/12 at 13:02:46:
You are talking apples and oranges. Increasing the preload will stiffen the spring, and raise the front a bit, which will change the handling. Did you like the change? Would you like the change magnified ten or twenty fold? Longer forks will decrease the trail (there is your theory) and royally screw up your handling. Frank will not sell you forks longer than 4" over because of the degradation in handling.
I have 4" over stock tubes, but I also increased the rake 9 deg and the handling improved.
There are quite a few guys in Europe that have done it. Maybe wait and see if anyone from across the pond replies.

I did like the change. Aside from being less "squishy", it tracks straighter with the front lifted a little. It stands upright easier and faster when coming out of a curve. Would I like it 10x or 20x? I don't know. That is why I am asking on here. Did you ride with just the longer tubes before increasing the rake? How did increasing the rake improve handling. These are the things I am interested in.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 07/22/12 at 15:30:56

No- I did the rake and fork extension at the same time. The combination of 9 deg rake and 4" longer tubes kept the bike level, and increased the wheelbase about 6".
The changes in handling are hard to describe. At speed on the highway it fells like it's on rails. Much more stable IMO. The only change in city cornering is that you have to lean it a bit more, but that's kinda fun.
One other point: I had a SuperBrace on it before the changes, but the 4" wider trees made the brace unusable. The plan was to get a T-Kat brace made up, but ,for some reason (wider distance between tubes, increased rake, increased wheelbase) it seems like I don't need one now. The benefits of the brace are built into the changes I made.
Here is a link to the thread I started about my mods:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1326578190/0#0

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #4 - 07/22/12 at 15:42:31

Thanks for the info. I am just trying to plan my one big upgrade and don't want to waste the money.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:23:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Forks by Frank Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.