Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
engine shutting off!!!!! (Read 189 times)
adrinachrome
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

engine shutting off!!!!!
07/19/12 at 20:32:04

i have a problem that im not sure how to fix. before i start i will explain something. After having the bike for about 5 months now i was ready to make some noise. So, i purchased a jardine muffler. After installing it i was shocked at how loud it was but also didn't like all the back firing. so i took the carb out, cleaned it, and put everything back together. i also did the white spacer mod. as it is now it has the stock jets. now heres the problem. when the bike is at idle its fine but when i hit the throttle hard it acts like it wants to die when the rpm's come back down. it doesn't die but acts like it. every time i get above 70 mph and hit an exit ramp things start to happen. after going above 70 mph and then slowing down to lets say 30 the engine shuts off. after wondering what was wrong i gave the bike a good look over and found that the vacuum line hose had a crack in it. so i replaced it but i still have these problems.       thanks for your time.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: engine shutting off!!!!!
Reply #1 - 07/19/12 at 20:48:25

You need to go thru the jetting process... highly recommend serowbots.

WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 07/19/12 at 20:51:01

Whenever you make a modification, and it results in something you don't like, go back and undo it. If that corrects the new problem, you know that modification didn't do what you wanted. That's the reason for doing one thing at a time, and keeping notes.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #3 - 07/19/12 at 20:54:30

White spacer mod. Did you shave it, remove it?  It's designed to keep a bit of gas saved so it won't die after coming off hard throttle. At least that's what I have come to understand from reading around here. I'd remove the spacer and add 3/4 of its original thickness back with washers. Maybe go tomthe marketplace and get one of lancers jet sets and go up a size in main and pilot jets. It also comes with the washers for the white spacer mod.there are also several jet tuning how to threads here.

Edit: lol looks like I was too slowin the reply lol

IP Logged
adrinachrome
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/20/12 at 09:12:33

charon...... i tried that approach. after the shut off i put the stock muffler back on and the problem still occurred. as far as the white spacer mod i just shaved the spacer in half. do any of you think it has to do with the jets or the fuel mixture screw? i ordered a jet set and hoping to try out the 150 main and 155 pilot....... time will tell.   thanks for the help.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 07/20/12 at 09:23:20

O.K. 2 things here, 1 you said you took the carb apart to clean it,  did you make absolutely sure the TEV was spotless not even a fingerprint on it? If you didn't get this that clean it can stick causing you a lot of headaches. 2nd with the Jardine slip-on I can pretty much guarantee you that your gonna need to re-jet as it's a flow through muffler with very little restriction.  The white spacer mod is only needed if you are running lean on your mid range throttle positions,  it does not cure backfire issues.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 07/20/12 at 09:28:53

Id put the muffler back on & prove its just jetting, if it doesnt run like it did before the swap, you fixed it broke,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 07/20/12 at 09:35:14

The Jardine will make you lean... but, since the problem is still happening with the stock muffler back on,... you have boogered something in the carb...
Don't try to rejet to correct this... It'll only confuse the issue...
Undo, the carb mods, and make sure everything in the carb is clean and functional...
You need to do a Do-over... Once you have the bike running like it did before, by only correcting changes you made,... you can proceed...

Too often,.. people try to correct one problem by adjusting another... this gets you a one-way ticket into tuning hell...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
adrinachrome
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/20/12 at 14:25:55

hahahahaha......well i understand what people say about the headaches now. so, took the carb back out looked over everything. everything seems to be in order and recleaned it. checked all the hoses and they all seem good. it seems we have an update in more problems. after doing it all again, ive lost count now, the bike barely wants to start. before, it only wanted to die at idle when i hit the throttle hard now it wants to die when i give it about 1/8 throttle. the bike acts like its not getting fuel, it will run for about 10 or so seconds then slowing die. i dont understand this because i didnt do anything different then what ive done before. could it be a faulty petcock? SWEET MOTHER OF GOD( it slams its head against the wall)

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 07/20/12 at 15:10:56

.....  and the dawn of comprehension begins to break at last, dispelling the swirling fogs and murky darkness where the evil plotting vac sucker prefers to lurk, slowly sucking the sanity out of the minds of its helpless victims.

The black mood of despair begins to lift as spirits are encouraged by the dawning of comprehension.  
There is hope at last .....

SKREEEE !!!!   SKREEEEE !!!!   Hark!  Up there, in the sky above us, lit by the first rays of the breaking dawn, it is the soaring form of the mighty Raptor !!!

The Raptor's marvelous bird of prey eyes penetrate the murky fog and he quickly spots the slinking form of the evil vac sucker as the vac sucker hurries to hide behind yet another murky misleading symptom.  

It does no good, for the Raptor begins his never-failing stoop, dropping down from the heavens to snatch off the evil vac sucker and fling him onto the scrap heap.

Grin   Grin   Grin

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429/1

« Last Edit: 07/20/12 at 21:04:39 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
adrinachrome
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/20/12 at 16:18:56

hahahahaha very nice, very nice indeed! i shall try calling on the raptor.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 07/20/12 at 16:35:20

Serowbot wrote on 07/20/12 at 09:35:14:
The Jardine will make you lean... but, since the problem is still happening with the stock muffler back on,... you have boogered something in the carb...
Don't try to rejet to correct this... It'll only confuse the issue...
Undo, the carb mods, and make sure everything in the carb is clean and functional...
You need to do a Do-over... Once you have the bike running like it did before, by only correcting changes you made,... you can proceed...

Too often,.. people try to correct one problem by adjusting another... this gets you a one-way ticket into tuning hell...

Now, if the "Repairs" to the education system had been handled with this kind of thinking, we would still have a functioning system,, but they just kept on "fixing " it,, after the first "efforts" to fix it failed,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
adrinachrome
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/20/12 at 20:36:45

Since the jardine will make it run lean what kind of slip on muffler do you advise.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 07/20/12 at 20:45:18

Put it on prime, let the bowl have time to fill up. Petcock to Run, drain bowl, was it full?
If so, Put it on Prime & start it up. If it wants to die when you give it gas, Id think th slide isnt Perfectly Clean & DRY.
If you fill the bowl up,but forget to put the gas line on the carb, itll run a block just on the bowl,, & OHH Please dont ask me how I know,,

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #14 - 07/20/12 at 21:21:29

adrinachrome wrote on 07/20/12 at 20:36:45:
Since the jardine will make it run lean what kind of slip on muffler do you advise.

It's already lean from the factory unless your in high altitude areas in stock form. On Carb'd motorcycles any change in allowing the engine to breath differently, you are going to have to do some carb tuning.  The same applies to cars as well but they aren't as sensitive to the changes that small displacement engines are.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 09:28:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › engine shutting off!!!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.