Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
need help trouble-shooting an electrical problem (Read 123 times)
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
need help trouble-shooting an electrical problem
07/08/12 at 21:09:28

I recently finished the ryca conversion.
The kit comes with an LED rear tail light that has turn signals and a brake light integrated all together.
The rear signals worked after initial installation, although the blink rate was faster than stock.
I installed ebay front signals with bulbs--they worked after installation, with the same fast blink rate as the rear.
I accidentally buggered up the lens on on of the front signals and decided to swap them out for somethting of a little higher in quality.
Shortly after installing the new front signals, the relay fuse blew (they worked initially).  I attributed this to the insulation being rubbed away on one of the 3 wires leading to the signal.
I used heat shrink tubing on all 3 wires and no more blown fuses.  However, when activating the turn signals, the front and rear signals no longer blink--they light up with a constant glow, but no blink.
Your thoughts?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: need help trouble-shooting an electrical probl
Reply #1 - 07/08/12 at 22:26:37

new electronic turn signal relay

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #2 - 07/09/12 at 08:23:43

OK, dumb question--is that an upgrade that replaces the stock relay, or do I need a new stock relay?

And, where is the relay located?

I would like to get this sorted without relying on taking it to the shop, so any help you can offer is appreciated.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 07/09/12 at 08:27:20

you replace the stock flasher with the electronic one.  The LED's don't draw enough power to make the mechanical one do it's job.  Your other option is to put in load resistors with each signal.  The stock flasher is located on the right hand side under the tank.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #4 - 07/09/12 at 09:35:15

Stock 21W turn sig bulbs draw 1.71 amps each (I = P / E), but LEDs typically use far less.  The stock relay is mechanical and load dependent.   In other words, it depends on the current draw to click the flasher contacts.   Solid state flashers are not load dependent, but instead work from a timing circuit.

The flasher is just a set of contact points that alternates between a short and open.  You can manually flash your signals by unpluging the flasher connector and shorting and unshorting the contacts yourself with a length of wire.   This will ensure your wiring works OK, and also separates the components for troubleshooting.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #5 - 07/10/12 at 19:17:59

Thanks guys.  Another dumb question, but why the rapid flash initially, but no flash at all now?

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #6 - 07/11/12 at 09:47:24

Pull the turn signal relay and refer to my part B above.   In other words, remove the connector from the flasher and see if you can flash the signals by shorting the connector on and off with a piece of wire.

If they work manually, then either the flasher has gone bad by permanently fusing the contacts together, ORRR, since you are using LEDs, you aren't loading the flasher unit enough to cause it to make/break contact.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 07/11/12 at 09:59:10

With the stock flasher sometimes they will do a rapid flash when they aren't loaded enough until the contacts fuse.  I have experienced this on automotive applications.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #8 - 07/11/12 at 21:18:02

Thanks!

IP Logged
bikertrash

another bad example

Ogden, Illinois
Reply #9 - 07/22/12 at 20:26:34

OK, back in the shop today after being out of town last week.  Dumb question:  what does the flasher look like?  The Clymer manual is of no help.  Also, all of the wiring got re-arranged during the ryca build, so most of the wiring now goes down the left side of the frame.

Thanks in advance for your help with this. Smiley

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 07/22/12 at 20:38:13

bikertrash wrote on 07/22/12 at 20:26:34:
OK, back in the shop today after being out of town last week.  Dumb question:  what does the flasher look like?  The Clymer manual is of no help.  Also, all of the wiring got re-arranged during the ryca build, so most of the wiring now goes down the left side of the frame.

Thanks in advance for your help with this. Smiley

stock flasher looks like a relay but with only 2 terminals.  it's square and black. Original location was on the right side of the bike just under the forward edge of the fuel tank.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:26:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › need help trouble-shooting an electrical problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.