Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
So diappointed in Rustoleum header paint-good now (Read 151 times)
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
So diappointed in Rustoleum header paint-good now
07/22/12 at 08:39:12

I wanted to paint my Thrush glass pack and try it again now that I have re-jetted. The parts store only sold Rustoleum 2000* paint. I wanted VHT but no luck locally. I have multiple coats on and there is no color change. I thought I was spraying a clear coat. I sprayed the newspaper I have the muffler on and it is the most faint color I have ever seen! What a waste of $8. I am ordering the VHT online today...

« Last Edit: 07/23/12 at 16:13:45 by Greg »  

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: So diappointed in Rustoleum header paint...
Reply #1 - 07/22/12 at 16:15:36

I've yet to have any VHT high temp paint come out the correct color...

Never had any issue with Rustoleum. Including the 20 year old can of brush on I'm painting our bench swing with. You just got a rare bad can. Heat it up a bit with a hair dryer, bang the base on something to loosen up the pigment tthat has settled out and try again.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 07/22/12 at 16:38:49

Its called Rattle Can for a reason,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/22/12 at 16:59:59

Shoot man,.. return it.  Show them the paper you sprayed, and say "THIS STUFF"S CR@P!"...
I hate gettin' ripped... Angry...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 07/22/12 at 18:43:24

I was once disappointed in one of ArmorAll's excellent products, so I wrote them a nice letter. Got A coupon and a nice cap. Anyway I used Rustoleum 2000 degree primer and flat black 2000 degree paint last year on my header after scuffing it. Still looks good. I would take the paint back as Serow says. Money back with a receipt or probably a straight swap without. Most businesses will help if asked. Good luck.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #5 - 07/22/12 at 19:19:42

I will try the heat and beat idea. And I did rattle it. A lot. If it doesn't spray right tomorrow, I will take it back. I pitched my receipt so I can only hope for an exchange.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 07/23/12 at 13:22:50

What color of paint did you buy?  I have used their black paint on a lawnmower muffler, and it covered very well.  I first sandblasted the muffler as it was rusty, then I sprayed it with the black paint....then baked it in my wife's oven as detailed in the directions on the can.  It has held up without issues, and still looks great.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #7 - 07/23/12 at 13:54:18

Well, I heated it up with my heat gun. Beat the snot out of the bottom of the can with my concrete patio. Shook the heck out of it. It still won't cover. I sprayed another piece of paper and there were actually red spots in there this time. I will take it back after work.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #8 - 07/23/12 at 13:55:11

Dave wrote on 07/23/12 at 13:22:50:
What color of paint did you buy?  I have used their black paint on a lawnmower muffler, and it covered very well.  I first sandblasted the muffler as it was rusty, then I sprayed it with the black paint....then baked it in my wife's oven as detailed in the directions on the can.  It has held up without issues, and still looks great.

I bought the red. Six coats on my muffler and you can't tell anything was done. When I sprayed white paper, the color is very, very faint with a few red specks in it.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 07/23/12 at 15:22:37

Yep, bad can. It happens occasionally, but I usually find 50 bad spray valves to one bad pigment issue. And of course they had to change spray valve styles on me, the old type never failed, the new one isn't worth $hit.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #10 - 07/23/12 at 16:11:53

I exchanged it and all is right with the world again. Assuming I didn't miss anything, it will cover in 1 coat. The conversation with the counterperson was interesting though. He didn't speak my language and I didn't speak his. I believe he said he was just going to put it back on the shelf.  Huh

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:20:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › So diappointed in Rustoleum header paint-good now

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.