Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help with backfiring! (not typ. decel or shutoff) (Read 112 times)
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Help with backfiring! (not typ. decel or shutoff)
07/20/12 at 11:35:11

I need suggestions. Running an 87 savage, and it runs good but engine is tired and noisy. I have swapped in a low mileage 98 engine that fires right up, idles smooth but will not gain rpms. When I try to bring up the rpms it backfires sharply through the exhaust. The harder I try the louder and nastier it gets! I have pulled off the head cover and side cover and the valve timing is right on, clearance properly adjusted and the valves (look) good and straight and well seated. I tested the resistance on the signal generator and it is right in spec. I am scratching my head on this one. Question: what advances the spark on the savage and can this be tested. I know my ignitor and carb are ok because the old engine runs fine. Help!!

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Help with backfiring! (not typ. decel or shuto
Reply #1 - 07/20/12 at 12:21:45

I think you need to read this Post in the Tech Section.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1280002938

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #2 - 07/20/12 at 12:41:42

I did this a year or so ago. The info in that thread is accurate. Personally I went with swapping the CDI. Haven't had a problem with the engine since.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 07/20/12 at 22:31:46

yep, you either need to swap the cdi or the rotor

the 87 and the 96 have different advances
once you speed up the 96 will back fire with the 87 cdi.

WWW   IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #4 - 07/21/12 at 06:07:40

This forum is great! I knew I would get an answer. I took a good look at the rotors and the 98 has a much longer strip of metal that passes the signal generator. Mystery solved, thanks guys.
Next questions: Is there an easy way to get the rotor off without a special tool? And, if I go cdi, the cdi from 96 on has a different connection than the 95 and earlier. How do I connect to the newer style cdi with my old wiring connection and, how do I get the pins right? Thanks

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #5 - 07/23/12 at 10:53:38

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to get the rotor off without the special tool.
I used mini female disconnects for the new CDI. I know I should eventually get the proper part, but "it ain't broke so I ain't fixin it." As for the right connections, there is a drawing on here somewhere that has where each wire should go. I'll give a look for it at lunchtime.

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #6 - 07/23/12 at 13:09:49

You may want to look at this thread.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1310612216/0

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 07/23/12 at 13:18:16

I just bought the special puller, and I have used it once.....it worked great.  I could "rent" you the tool to use, then you could send it back to me.  I intend to make this puller available to the members on this website through the Marketplace.  They would send me a deposit to cover the cost of the tool and the shipping, and I would refund them most of the money when they return the tool in good condition.  I have not yet figured out the rental cost.....something like $ 10 a month plus whatever the shipping cost is.

Let me know if you need this puller....send me a PM and we can work ou the details.  I am making the 46mm socket and flywheel holder tonight that is needed if you want to remove the left side crank nut.....which you need to do if you are splitting the case.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #8 - 07/23/12 at 15:57:54

greenmonster wrote on 07/23/12 at 13:09:49:

Thanks greenmonster, just the info I needed!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:18:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help with backfiring! (not typ. decel or shutoff)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.