Leaking Gas Cap (Read 657 times)
michelleb318
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hudson Valley, NY
Leaking Gas Cap
05/06/10 at 13:43:45

Has anyone here had a problem with gas leaking out the sides of their gas cap? My 2007 Suzuki Boulevard LS650 (or S40) started doing that a few months ago. I thought I was just overfilling the tank when I gassed up ... but it did it even when I filled it up only about halfway or so.

Two weeks ago I brought it to the local dealer who, for some reason, couldn't even get the cap to come off. They ended up removing the tank, emptying it out (I'd just filled it up the night before) and drilling the cap out. Then it took them nine days to get a replacement cap because I have an extended warranty and they went through Suzuki California. I would gladly have paid extra to have the cap overnighted, but they never told me where it was coming from.

They knew I was going on a ride with about 100 other bikes the next weekend (9 days later) but the bike wasn't ready until late in the afternoon of the ride ... and I was already ON the ride, as a passenger.

Well, I picked my Thumper up Tuesday night and now I have TWO problems. First of all, they apparently damaged the tank so they had it repainted - and it doesn't match the rest of the bike. (My bike is the white/pearl color.) Plus, I sloshed the tank around a bit and guess what? Gas came pouring out around the new gas cap.

So ... 12 days after I dropped it off, I still had the exact same problem. I was so angry with the dealer that I contacted Suzuki ... and apparently they chewed the dealer out. Now the dealer says they will get me a new tank and gas cap ... but if I have to wait almost two weeks AGAIN, I will FLIP out. As it is, I will never go to that dealer again ... if I get another bike it will NOT be from them.

So ... back to my original question - has anyone else experienced gas leaking out under their gas cap? And is there some sort gasket on the lip of the tank that maybe mine is missing?

Thanks,

~Michelle

IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Re: Leaking Gas Cap
Reply #1 - 05/06/10 at 13:48:57

Hey Michelle,

Not a happy start, I must say, but welcome aboard anyway.

There is a search fearture, that is a little tricky to use, but it works pretty good.  There seems to be a rash of leaking gas caps all of a sudden.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1272327417

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1250445664

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1262920654

Have Fun!

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
michelleb318
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hudson Valley, NY
Reply #2 - 05/06/10 at 14:16:43

Thanks ... believe it or not, I read all three of those before you replied to me! LOL!!

Seems like the problem is more common than I thought. At least I don't feel like it's just ME!

~Michelle

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #3 - 05/06/10 at 15:03:15

I don't believe its that common to newer bikes,I've had a lot of bikes and never had a single one leak,Maybe some older bikes that have been left outside were they go through the cold and hot weather could leak,My bikes have always been kept in a garage.But you really must have a bad dealer,Why would they take off the gas tank because the gas caps leaks.The gasket is on the cap only.Do you have the arrow facing forward when you put the cap on.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #4 - 05/06/10 at 15:16:16

My '07 S40 started a gas cap leak last year. If I fill it to the filler neck in the tank and put the cap back on, then as I ride away a little gas comes out around the gas cap. If I fill it to the neck, stand the motorcycle upright and "burp" the tank, then put the gas cap on it seems to be OK. I'd be interested to know whether the California bikes with the charcoal cannister and the vent tube do the same thing, or whether it is a 49-State vented gas cap problem.

My bike is kept in a garage during the summer, and in a shed during winter. Neither building is heated, but the bike is protected from sun and wind. I point out that in general, motor vehicles including motorcycles are considered to be outdoor devices, and as such should be designed to withstand the weather.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 05/06/10 at 15:21:56

I've never heard of burbing a gas tank til I got here and don't do it.I must fill my petty full because I normally go 135 mile before I have to go to reserve.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #6 - 05/06/10 at 15:30:13

I couldn't think of any better terminology than "burping". I fill the tank to the filler neck, generally trying to fill the tank so that part of the slanted filler neck is in the gas and part is out. I then slowly stand the bike upright, and usually as it comes upright the fuel rises in the neck, followed by a good-sized bubble which allows the fuel to drop a bit. My guess as to the cause of the leak is that the bubble can't escape quickly enough through the gas cap vent, so it pushes some fuel out either through the vent or past the gasket. I think past the gasket is more likely, since the gasket may have compressed a little with age and may not be sealing as well as when the bike and gasket were new.

Gee - I wonder if Seafoam would cure it?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 05/06/10 at 18:30:52

Sea Foam will keep the gasket from drying out.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 05/07/10 at 03:07:22

I took my cap apart & cut & installed a shim to put under the rubber to make it sealo better. Its a bit of a hassle , gotta push down to twist the key, but it doesnt leak like it did.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
michelleb318
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hudson Valley, NY
Reply #9 - 05/07/10 at 06:02:43

We LOVE Seafoam ... but it didn't help with my cap.  Sad

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #10 - 05/08/10 at 05:44:38

Come to think of it, neither of my Kawasakis have the problem (so far). But on both Kawasakis the gas cap is centered on the tank, so when the bike is raised from the sidestand the level of fuel in the center doesn't change much. The S40 cap is on the right, and when the bike is raised from its left-leaned sidestand position the fuel level on the right side of the tank rises. The S40 is known to have a few design issues, and perhaps this is just another of them.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 05/08/10 at 07:32:10

Charon says..
The S40 is known to have a few design issues.

Heretic! Stone him!

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
wingsout
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lockport NY
Reply #12 - 05/08/10 at 08:23:03

Mine leaks too.(05 S40, 12,000 miles).

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 05/08/10 at 10:27:52

Let him who is without aim cast the first stone.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 05/08/10 at 10:43:06

Charon wrote on 05/08/10 at 10:27:52:
Let him who is without aim cast the first stone.

roflmao   Smiley

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 13:16:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Leaking Gas Cap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.