Healthcare in America (Read 269 times)
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Healthcare in America
Reply #30 - 07/17/12 at 04:55:48

In Ontario OHIP dictates what the costs are. It tells the doctors how much they can charge, and the hospitals how much an MRI is, and how much per day they can charge. Dental cost are covered by private insurance (if you have it), and a cleaning cost $350. I had benefits for a while, and had a whole bunch of dental work done, but when the dentists office called me to schedule my yearly cleaning after I lost the benefits, I told them to blow it out their ears.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 07/17/12 at 06:35:03

Take a long look at the insurance industry, it depends on profits from NOT having to cover medical expense. Take a look at the medical industry, it depends on the insurance industry, medicaid, and medicare to not look at the charges. Example- my Mother was billed for a scheduled checkup she didn't have, she had passed away three months before.. My Father had the same scenario.. You have whole sections of the hospitals,and doctors offices, all geared to sort through all the different insurance policies, see which ones they can gouge, and which they can't, then you have those who don't pay. They slip into the emergency room, get their care and slip out, your tax dollars, insurance, and people like 360K pay the difference. You won't find a medicaid patient at the doctors office, they go straight to the emergency room with their hangnail, their colds, and scratches. All paid for with our dime...

When Tiawan was looking at different ways to upgrade their medical system someone asked them about the American example, they said "Thats a perfect example to stay away from."... They went to a single payer system.

Our medical community is a for profit enity, they are not their to care for the patient. You go to the hospital for nursing care, not doctor care, they do a short procedure, and the understaffed nurses bring you back to health.. Another way to make more money, cut staff, some nurses are taking care of over ten patients per nurse! If you think thats OK, try to work and have ten people on your butt all day..

Our medical costs are high because of all of the above factors, and one more, GREED.. People will spend their last dollar on their health, an do...

My Father was Navy, he spent thirty years in the service of this country, my Mother followed him around as a RN, she worked in many government hospitals, in fleabag corners of the world all her life.. Mom and Dad had very little life savings when they retired, they were nomads, they never asked anything from this nation, never wanted welfare, or handouts, worked hard long hours. My father passed in 91, my mother lived on until 2009, she was blind for her last fifteen years, and my wife and I did her shopping, paid her bills and did our best to make her comfortable, she was always upbeat, loved her dirty jokes, and shot of whiskey in the evening..

She became sick her last year, pnemonia, and a perforated bowel, she decided to go to a nursing home, the nursing homes would not take Medicare, or Tricare, so she had to go on medicaid.. She had signed over most of her life savings to the wife and I a year before, which we kept in trust for her, but not within the timeline that medicaid requires (five years). So no matter that WE had taken care of her for fifteen years, we did not deserve this money in their eyes.. So I handed over her and Dads life savings to the nursing home, before I did this the director of the nursing home told me they would put my mother out on the curb if I didn't!!!  It was the closest I have ever come to strangling a woman with my bare hands! Angry
After all this my Mother lived for another two months died of pnemonia she caught in that crappy nursing home, she recieved two weeks of Medicaid!!!!!!!

So folks, work all your life, never ask nuts from anybody, and this is what you have to look forward to, hand your money, home, and all your stuff over to a hospital... Not me, I like the line, "Take a gun and the horse up into the hills, send the horse back!"..... Sorry for the long rant, but I get a tad pissed.. Single payer now, everybody pays, everything is covered, from birth to death...

« Last Edit: 07/17/12 at 08:20:16 by Retread »  

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #32 - 07/17/12 at 19:17:42

Amen! Ms Starlifter's father died unexpectedly and mom had to go into a nursing home (Alzheimer's). They took everything...every dam* thing they had... Their life savings, earned the hard way, working and working, scrimping and saving, buying the no-name brands because they were a little cheaper than the good stuff. They took their home,...everything.

Dad was self employed, no health benefits, no retirement (except for his life savings which the nursing home stole).

Yea! Rah! Rah! woot woot!...what a country! ...What a health care system! .... What a DISGRACE!

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #33 - 07/17/12 at 20:14:27

I AGREE,, the way things have been is screwed up,,but if you were drowning, would you want someone to paint "Life Preserver" on an anvil & toss it to you? No? REally? Why not? Because it Will Not Help[ You?? Well,, guyess what? This "ANSWER" to our problems is the equivalent to handing an anvil to a drowning man,, & you guys crowing about what a Win this is? Youre gonna be cryin in about 5 years,, if it takes that long,,

Print this out & stick it on the wall,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #34 - 07/17/12 at 20:17:04

Happens a lot. My great grandmother lost everything when her son put her in a home. Home, car (64 Nova SS, first one on the road where she lived), the very little bit of money she had...

Black church up the road had conned her out of the house she'd lived in since 1930. As soon as she left, the place got broken into. And her late husband's immaculate 1938 Chevy truck was auctioned off for pennies on the dollar (gotta hep the chirrens doncha know). And the home's contents were destroyed.

Not sure which was worse for her, crooked nursing home (state facility) or crooked preacher...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #35 - 07/17/12 at 21:22:18

Hmm, (I found it.) Here is a letter to the editer a friend forwarded to me last winter from Wisconsin... (Gotta LOVE our great health care system.)

"I just got the itemized bill from my hospital stay last month. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. Now mind you I had a wonderful experience while I was in the hospital. My husband had the same surgey (GallBladder removal) at another local hospital and he had the absolute worst experience. My husband was in the hospital for 3 weeks. I was there for 5 days. But our hospital bills were exactly alike. How is that even possible?? His bill was $110,000 in 2005. I can't believe the costs have gone up that much in 7 years.

Here are a few items I found interesting:
* Accomodations - $4500 (I could have stayed at the Breakers for less money)
* Pharmacy - $35,000 (I know I had some good drugs, but WOW)
* OR Costs - $30,000
* Sterile Supplies - $7500

And here is the kicker. I have insurance, so these items were all negotiated down to 1/10 the cost. My insurance company paid $11,000 and the bill is done. So those people without insurance don't get a negotiated rate?? How can someone afford that without insurance?? And how are they allowed to get that much of a discount??

At the end of the day, I've met my deductible for the year ($2800). Still not sure how I'm gonna pay for that, though. But hopefully I can make installment payments . . .

And finally I want to thank the Affordable Care Act of 2010. My company before 2011 had a lifetime limit on medical of $100,000 and a yearly amount of $20,000. I might be paying a ton more money out of pocket without ObamaCares!! If more people would actually read what is covered they would see that this is a good thing for this country. If people would stop listening to Talking Heads who know nothing and actually learn for themselves, this country wouldn't be as angry as it is.     S.H. Ashland.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Retread

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 07/18/12 at 07:37:29

I have a good friend who was working at a dead end job for ten years, the only reason he stayed there was the health insurance, and the fact his youngest has MS. He dared not leave because of the pre-existing condition clause on most if not all insurance policys. This year he got another offer from a company that has wanted him for the last five years, paid medical, better pay, and a chance to move up the ladder.. He was able to take this job only because of the ACA..

No, it not the best we could have, and I really don't think it'll do a darn thing for me, unless it offers me a cheaper better policy in one of the COOPs it supposed to create. I will be most likely stuck in my retired company plan, which will rip me off until Medicare kicks in three years from now... No one has really looked at the ACA in detail, we know a few highlights, and we know the GOP is against it, thats enough for me to like it... Grin

Used to look like a Greek God, now I look like a darned Greek!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 22:29:04

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Healthcare in America

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.