Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Best gear for hot summer months (Read 172 times)
TxRider
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Best gear for hot summer months
07/09/12 at 20:29:51

Hi all,

I just bought a 2008 S40 and am really excited to get on the road with it.  This is my first bike, so I want to make sure I am properly outfitted with the right protective gear.   I am in the Texas summer so we are averaging 95 degree days most of the time.   I'm looking for some input on the best warm weather shoes, gloves, and jacket that offer the best protection.   I've just purchased a Nexx X1R1 helmet today so am covered in that arena.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Best gear for hot summer months
Reply #1 - 07/09/12 at 20:33:50

The best gear for weather like that is a pool, an umbrella, 30 spf and a case of something ice cold  
Smiley  Cool

WWW   IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #2 - 07/09/12 at 20:44:04

The best gear is something that you will actually wear all the time. Here in the Houston area, its been in the 90's and kissing the 100's with stupid humidity. I just spent the money and bought a Speed and Strength mesh jacket to wear during the summer time.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/mesh_jackets_and_pants/speed_a...

It is much more comfortable (temperature wise) than my textile jacket that I was using. I also wear a APX full face helmet and ZR1 leather gloves, I'm sure I could find some textile gloves also but I'm used to work gloves in the heat so they don't bother me.

As for riding pants, I found out hot pipes melt mesh over pants so I just started wearing double knee Dickies jeans or Cowboy Cut original wranglers (from walmart) not the best protection but better than shorts  Tongue

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 07/09/12 at 21:56:49

Best gear,.. is 5th gear...  
...the faster you go, the bigger the breeze... Cool...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 07/09/12 at 22:00:05

I know it goes against some peeps, but during the hot summers here in TX  I just forgo the jacket.  I still have my FF helmet and gloves though. I always wear jeans and normally hiking boots or at least hi top leather shoes.  I tried the mesh jacket to start with this summer but once it got over 90F that didn't really even help for me.  

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 07/09/12 at 22:01:23

I know it goes against some peeps, but during the hot summers here in TX  I just forgo the jacket.  I still have my FF helmet and gloves though. I always wear jeans and normally hiking boots or at least hi top leather shoes.  I tried the mesh jacket to start with this summer but once it got over 90F that didn't really even help for me.  My FF helmet has good airflow so it stays cool while moving, it's a modular design so when I'm stopped I can just flip the chin bar up if need be.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 07/09/12 at 22:59:57

Ditto... if it's over 100f... I'm in a long sleeve shirt (for sun protection)...
FF helmet, jeans, fingerless gloves, and ankle high shoes,.. but no jacket...
Just can't take it...

Leather will help some, with abrasion... armour will help a little with some bruising,.. but,.. it's mostly false security... 1/2" of foam won't do much against a car... Bones still break...
If a 1/2"foam and leather really did something, we'd all be wearing leather padded beanies on our heads...
Grin...

Just ride extra careful,.. and hope for the best...
... or,.. take the car... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 07/09/12 at 23:20:47

The Khaki welders shirt ( wrangler, IIRC, snaps, not buttons) is a tight weave & I slid at least 60 feet & got no holes in mine,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #8 - 07/10/12 at 01:14:52

Good denim jacket is what i wear when its hot, even in 100 degree heat. I get a lot of looks and questions but its surprisingly cool even just plugging around town. Keeps the sun off and you dont dehydrate nearly as bad as going nekkid or in mesh.
Not nearly as good as leather but better then a shirt.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #9 - 07/10/12 at 01:22:41

I dehydrate quickly period,  even when not riding the bike.  Trying to figure out a way to mount a couple of those 1/2 gallon Gatorade bottles one on either side of the fuel tank or somewhere and also figure out a way to drink from them at the same time, since I wear a FF helmet.  As it is I have to stop about every 30 mins or so for a drink of something, even when it's not hot. I'm constantly thirsty.  I've always had this issue even when not on a bike, and just driving a cage.

R.F.

IP Logged
l33tl4m3r
YaBB Newbies

A Frakkin Toaster

Albuquerque, NM
Reply #10 - 07/10/12 at 15:03:15

rfw2003 wrote on 07/10/12 at 01:22:41:
I dehydrate quickly period,  even when not riding the bike.  Trying to figure out a way to mount a couple of those 1/2 gallon Gatorade bottles one on either side of the fuel tank or somewhere and also figure out a way to drink from them at the same time, since I wear a FF helmet.  As it is I have to stop about every 30 mins or so for a drink of something, even when it's not hot. I'm constantly thirsty.  I've always had this issue even when not on a bike, and just driving a cage.

R.F.

I wear a backpack most of the time when riding and I put a camelback in the backpack with the drinking tube tucked inside the front of my jacket. It's easy enough to grab the tub and stuff it in the bottom of my FF when stopped, and even when riding.

The one I have has a bite valve so I just put it between my teeth and bite down to open the valve.

And I got mine for around $25.

“History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce.” --Karl Marx
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 07/10/12 at 16:09:44

I use mesh and sometimes an evaporative cooling vest.  Mine is the old style that leaves my shirt damp.  They have some new ones now that stay dry.  One of those might be a good investment.  Of course, nothing helps if you're sitting still.  Also, evaporative cooling doesn't work very well in extremely humid weather.

http://www.silvereagleoutfitters.com/kula-xd/

« Last Edit: 07/11/12 at 09:50:07 by Savage_Rob »  

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #12 - 07/10/12 at 16:51:16

When riding hot & humid, I always wear jeans, boots, and either long sleeve light cotton button up shirt, or long sleeve T-shirt.   You can buy cheap thin "dress shirts" at Kmart or Wallyworld and they work perfect.   Never ride long distance with short sleeves.   It may seem like a good idea, but your arms will cook, and long sleeves actually help keep the moisture inside the sleeves, so you will be cooler and sun protected.   If you keep your wallet and other stuff in a fork or sissybar bag, you can hose yourself down when you stop for fuel at the radiator station.   It don't last long, but for a few minutes you're in nirvana.

I used to have a "hot weather" riding suit.   It was a light one piece, and had velcro flaps that could be pulled open while riding exposing mesh covered vent holes.  Typically out here in Calif we don't need such apparatus, so mostly I used on cross countrys thru the south and east coast.   Also remember, light colors tend to reflect heat, whereas darker colors absorb.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
HondaLavis

It's nothing
personal; the other
one came first.

Plano, TX
Reply #13 - 07/10/12 at 19:02:43

I'm in central Texas, so I feel your pain!  I bought an Olympia Viper Jacket, and I love it.  I wear it EVERY time I ride.  It has 2 removeable liners: a rain/windbreaker, and fleece.  Here in texas it should be an "all-year" jacket.  The mesh is very breathable.  I don't get hot unless I'm sitting at a stoplight, but I'm good at minimizing that.  Wink  I also wear Cortech Accelerator gloves and an HJC IS-33 helmet.  Airflow is pretty good. Between all of that and my jeans and leather boots, I keep myself comfy.   Cool

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/mesh+motorcycle+jackets/olympia_vipe...

http://www.revzilla.com/product/cortech-accelerator-series-2-gloves

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/11/98/19161/ITEM/HJC-IS-33-Helmet.aspx

"You ride a single cylinder motorcycle??"

"When you're good, one is all you need." Wink

I guess that means I'm no good anymore; I've got 4 more cylinders! '08 Yamaha FJR1300 and still '01 Savage
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #14 - 07/10/12 at 19:57:21

My Tucson pal Gerald.Hughes suggested using 1/4" I.D. food-grade tubing to get water from bottle to mouth w/o removing FF helmet. +/- $.70 at True Value, works great.

My new, unmet, pal High_Plains_Thumper, suggested an evaporative cooling vest to deal with the heat, of which we occassionally have some here in AZ. Found one on Amazon that zips up to the neck & has a Mandarin collar. A two-hour ride in it today left me absolutely delighted. In temps well over 90 degrees I was completely comfortable, and I've no doubt it'd have done fine at well over 100 degrees. I wear it over a wicking t-shirt from Wickers, under a First Gear Mesh jacket. Note that the mesh jacket is key; air needs to flow for it to work. And note that since the vest is evaporating water, YOU won't be as much as you would otherwise, limiting the risk of dehydration. This may be the second best buy I've made, exceeded only by replacing the crappola IRC front tire that was still on my bike when I bought it.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/04/24 at 16:22:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Best gear for hot summer months

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.