Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Idiot sales associate?... (Read 274 times)
bojangals43
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Martinsville, Indiana
Idiot sales associate?...
06/12/12 at 15:07:21

So by some miracle the local Yamaha dealership in town had a Suzuki OEM oil filter for my Savage so I thought I'd show them some support since the guy I inquired to was helpful.  (No Susuki dealership anywhere near me).  While I was being rung up at the counter some other sale associate came over and asked a few questions about my bike... instead of complimenting me on my bike he decides to degrade my intelligence and decision making skills.  He says, "in my day we called those savages grenades. The starter reduction gear ALWAYS blows out/off the bike."  Shocked  Then he just stares at me to see if I'm gonna start freaking out.  Am I just stupid or was this guy a complete douchbag?  Huh  I thanked the helpful guy and ignored the second one.  I haven't noticed this being a problem but once on the internet... Am I missing something or did this guy see this happen ONCE and labeled all Savages crap?  Just thought I'd share this experience and see what you guys had to say with all your experience.  Thanks!

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Re: Idiot sales associate?...
Reply #1 - 06/12/12 at 15:33:49

I tend to lump salesmen in with politicians and lawyers; they all have an agenda, but it's usually not in the direction of YOUR best interest.  It sounds like this guy was hoping to make a Yamaha sale using fear, insults, and customer alienation.   Whereas, a smarter salesman with an altogether different tactic could maybe have persuaded you to think about it.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/12/12 at 15:44:30

80's model had a starter gear problem... no more...
90's and up,.. fine...
there's a fix for the 80's 4spd model in the tech sec.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #3 - 06/12/12 at 16:12:50

serow,
can you link me please? I wanna be prepared incase it happens to mine

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 06/12/12 at 16:17:51

martinfilms34 wrote on 06/12/12 at 16:12:50:
serow,
can you link me please? I wanna be prepared incase it happens to mine

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1288911670
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 06/12/12 at 19:35:03

Am I just stupid or was this guy a complete douchbag?

Im just gonna say I dont think youre stupid & Ill let you work out the rest of it,,
OHH, & when you send him his Christmas card, spell his name right

Douchebag,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #6 - 06/12/12 at 19:58:00

Of the big 4 J.A. Pan Co brands, Suzuki does have the lowest level of QC. Big whoop, 90% of the built in flaws are easy to fix. And of the issues, 95% or better of those are insignificant (soft chrome, cheap bolts, cheap bulbs, weak gaskets, crappy paint etc).

Yammerscammer hasn't made a good bike since they quit cranking out wire wheel XS650s.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #7 - 06/12/12 at 20:09:39

I was in sales for a long time, and I took good care of my customers. Consequently I had more customers and fewer problems. Some people like to tell you what they know whether they are helping or not. Usually they can't scratch their ass with a Bobcat in each hand and fall back on heresay to look educated or wise. Verslagen has been talking about the timing problems for years, but he has a solution and knows his business. We know the Savage has some petcock problems, but we have several solutions--check Serowbot's tech post. Neither will tell you the Savage is junk. Remember, tomorrow you'll have forgotten that guy and he'll still be stupid...or maybe he just had a bad day.  Undecided

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #8 - 06/12/12 at 20:33:15

The local dealer here can't give bikes away. His crew can't assemble them right, the shop won't honor warranties, parts cost twice what they do at the next closest dealership, labor rate is over $100/hr in an area with an average income under $10/hr...

Indie shop closer to the city gets most of the local metric business. Listens to his customers. Won't charge a full hour of labor for a 5 minute repair. Doesn't mark up or charge handling on special order parts. Will give you a realistic quote before touching your bike. Has staff that knows what customer service is AND goes way beyond customer expectations...

I know which one gets our business, and all of our bikes are "ancient" according to dealership standards... hmm, Savages and Intruders are still made, yet they are "ancient"... Huh Funny, I can still get OEM new parts for my 63 and 71 Hondas, from those dealerships...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 06/12/12 at 20:40:53

bojangals43 wrote on 06/12/12 at 15:07:21:
He says, "in my day we called those savages grenades. The starter reduction gear ALWAYS blows out/off the bike."   

Proper response would be "HOLY COW!  when did you escape from the old folks home."   Grin

Some of the pre90's did.  post 95's have a torque limiter gear to prevent it.  But I do have some more investigating to do.  It may be caused by a misalignment of the pinion gear with the starter clutch.

WWW   IP Logged
Blinky-FSO
Serious Thumper

Three Eyes Are
Better Than Two

Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/13/12 at 07:20:46

Quote:
I tend to lump salesmen in with politicians and lawyers; they all have an agenda, but it's usually not in the direction of YOUR best interest.

360+ I agree with you except when you use the term"all". Yes, there are some real plaid coat creeps out there that are just after your wallet. But there are some of us (yep, been a salesman for quite a while now) that listen and work for our client's best interest. Just my 2 cents.

Now, If you will send me your mailing address and only $149.95 plus shipping and handling, I will send you one of what I sell (please allow six to eight weeks for delivery). You will love it!!! You have my word as a salesman.  Smiley

2007 S40 (Sold)
2007 C50 (Sold)
1992 Honda GL1500
2014 Honda CTX700N
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 06/13/12 at 09:29:02

Probably just trying to spook you into buying a brand new, super reliable whatever he's selling.

I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's blue, it's a Laredo (base model, except for leather seats vs cloth and a CD player). Not the big, beefier V8, doesn't have a tow package. Nothing that would make it desirable.
It was my dad's before it was mine. When it was time for him to sell it I bought it because I got a deal for being his son and I knew the history of it. I knew it had all it's maintenance etc.
I'm drifting, anyway. Some guy called my dad. Said he got his phone number from the stealership and was looking for my exact Jeep in my exact color and was willing to offer me 1500 more than blue book for it.

1) I'm supposed to believe the dealership gave this guy records of who bought what vehicles?
2) Then gave up my dad's phone number?
3) and that now someone wants a base model vehicle with 200,000+ miles when they could have the same truck, if not better with less miles on craigslist or even ebay for less money?

I call BS sales tactics.

--Steve

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #12 - 06/13/12 at 10:05:57

Those guys don't last too long in the sales business.
In '89 I inherited some money and set out to buy my first new car. I was looking at Camrey wagons and wanted a white one, so I toured the local lots until I found one. I was wearing cut-offs, sandals and  T shirt. The sales person came out, walked up to me and said "those are really expensive you know" and walked away. I went in and asked to speak to the sales manager and told him what had happened, and was told the "guy was new" and offered a discount on the car and was asked how I was going to finance it. I said "I will pay cash, but not here", and walked out. The guy worked for a few dealers over the next year, until he wound up at a dealership where my cousin was sales manager. My cousin said he couldn't sell air conditioners in Texas and was going to fire him in a week or two anyways.
I was a commissioned sales person for a couple of years and did quite well at it.
Sugar gets more flies (sales) than vinegar.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #13 - 06/13/12 at 14:56:40

arteacher wrote on 06/13/12 at 10:05:57:
Those guys don't last too long in the sales business.
In '89 I inherited some money and set out to buy my first new car. I was looking at Camrey wagons and wanted a white one, so I toured the local lots until I found one. I was wearing cut-offs, sandals and  T shirt. The sales person came out, walked up to me and said "those are really expensive you know" and walked away. I went in and asked to speak to the sales manager and told him what had happened, and was told the "guy was new" and offered a discount on the car and was asked how I was going to finance it. I said "I will pay cash, but not here", and walked out. The guy worked for a few dealers over the next year, until he wound up at a dealership where my cousin was sales manager. My cousin said he couldn't sell air conditioners in Texas and was going to fire him in a week or two anyways.
I was a commissioned sales person for a couple of years and did quite well at it.
Sugar gets more flies (sales) than vinegar.

I have to agree. My favorite used car lot around here (Unfortunately not in business any more Sad), you'd go start looking around, they'd come out and ask if they could help you, if you said "just looking", they'd say "just lemme know if you need the key to anything" and leave you alone. No high pressure sales or anything! Shocked  I gave them most of my business, and was always recommending them, which is the added bonus for treating your customers right.

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #14 - 06/13/12 at 17:59:20

"Yammerscammer hasn't made a good bike since they quit cranking out wire wheel XS650s."

I beg to differ, my Vstar 1300 is a killer cruiser for the money. Highly recommend if one was inclined to upgrade to a big v-twin.   Cool

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:24:10

General CategoryThe Cafe › Idiot sales associate?...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.