Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Street Tracker Handlebars (Read 134 times)
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Street Tracker Handlebars
06/12/12 at 09:53:26

I would like to replace the handlebars on my Savage as a first step in building a Street Tracker, while I'm waiting for Ryca to tool up for the pipe and seat.  The bike would be easier to manhandle about the garage with some straighter bars. The stock cruiser bars are awkwardly bent for moving the bike.

I noticed that the bars on the Scrambler and Street Tracker on the Ryca site seem to be the same ones? I assume they must be an off the shelf item from some manufacturer, Flanders or Renthal or? Does anybody have a brand and part number that they have used?

I’m excited about building a bike and figured the handlebars would be an easy way to get started.

Thanks,

John in the PRC

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Street Tracker Handlebars
Reply #1 - 06/12/12 at 10:12:32

They look chrome, probably steel.  I imagine something like this...

https://www.denniskirk.com/khrome-werks/chrome-low-rise-drag-bars.p595863.prd...

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 06/12/12 at 10:55:59

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
clearush

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Deer Park,TX
Reply #3 - 06/12/12 at 11:35:56

IP Logged
SinglesGoinSteady

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks like Bon
Scott!

From Seattle, now in Savannah.
Reply #4 - 06/12/12 at 12:26:09

I got emgo wide bars, see my RYCA tracker thread.  Love how wide they are. Don't forget most bars are 7/8 inch and our savage is 1.0 inch, so you need spacers if you get 7/8 in.  I made spacers for risers and levers.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 06/12/12 at 13:10:27

I have Emgo bars on my 1963 Honda street tracker project. Decent bars as long as you stay on smooth surfaces with them, they are kinda thin and bend pretty easily. And the chrome is really soft and extra thin. They work great on museum pieces. Or bicycles.

The industry standard for years has been 1" bars, when metric twins stopped looking like cartoons and started looking like motorcycles 7/8" bars pretty much went away. The aftermarket still offers them simply because of how hard it is to kill an old air-cooled metric multi.

Krome Werks offers the best bang for the buck. Harder chrome than most others, more scratch and corrosion resistant. Flanders are great bars but way overpriced.

Any bend you can find in 7/8 is available in 1".

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
jay313
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/12/12 at 16:36:47

Biltwell makes a really nice 1" tracker handlebar. Bought one for my project.

IP Logged
John in Kalifornia

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 06/12/12 at 19:15:45

Thanks, guys

Lots of ideas here. I see mention of "dimples." What are these? I assume it's something to do with control mounting. Are they something to have or to avoid?

Ryca Ryan said he used Emgo Superbars, 07-12516. A place for a start.

John in the PRC

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 06/12/12 at 19:41:32

I got the bars for my project on Ebay; they were a take-off from one of the new Triumph Bonnevilles, so they were pretty cheap; about $30 I think, and basically like brand new.
Search for Norman Hyde Bars; that's the name of that style of bar.
Might not be quite as flat as you are looking for, but they are 1"

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 06/12/12 at 19:52:16

You want to avoid dimpled bars. They are for 1984 and newer HD hand controls, which are slightly oval inside. Your bike has half round switch box openings, you would need to dress the openings with a half round file to fit the bar dimples. Then when you get bored with the dimpled bars your switch boxes will be loose on non-dimpled replacement bars.

Expensive lesson.

Emgo bars are only a few bucks cheaper than good bars... use my apes as an example, I paid $85 for Krome Werks, the Emgo version was $78 list price. I know Krome Werks bars are strong, I know Emgo bars are junk (was in the bike business for years). I also know that the "catalog house brands" parts are repackaged Emgos. I spent the extra $7 for USA made bars.

On street track type bars you'd likely be alright with cheapos, but why risk it? If you can't get a set of take off Triumph bars stick with an American or European made bar.

I do have an Emgo track bar on my Honda. Which doesn't run. IF i ever get around to fixing the Honda I'll be ordering 7/8" Flanders bars for it. The Emgo set is just for looks and to move it around.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/16/24 at 01:44:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Street Tracker Handlebars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.