Timing light? (Read 184 times)
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Timing light?
06/03/12 at 11:20:21

Has anyone ever put a timing light on the motor and watched the timing marks?   I'm curious as to the advance curve, which seems to be calculated electronically in the ignitor unit.   The shop manual says 5 deg BTDC at 2000 rpm and 30 deg at 4000 rpm, so I assume there is a somewhat linear transition between the two?

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Re: Timing light?
Reply #1 - 06/04/12 at 06:55:50

I don't think you can adjust it so what's the point? Maybe i'm wrong tho'

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 06/04/12 at 09:43:56

some makes of bikes you can elnogate the holes in the pick ups mounting tabs..
dont see much of a beneifit imo

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #3 - 06/04/12 at 12:59:19

I'm not interested in adjustment so much as I am in the advance curve being generated.   Anyway, since this post, I think I have things pretty well figured out, and now have a 2 digit LED tachometer working showing 1000ths and 100ths of RPMs, as was my goal in my original post last month...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1337306855

Now I'm trying to figure out a way to place the display either on the speedo light panel, or attached right above it in a plastic housing, along with another 2 digit display showing either cylinder head or oil temp.

« Last Edit: 06/04/12 at 16:09:35 by 360k+ »  

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #4 - 06/04/12 at 18:58:44

What would you aim the timing light at? No pulleys or other exposed rotating items on the bike.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #5 - 06/04/12 at 19:48:49

Ahhh, good question.   I assumed that you could pull the timing cover off the left side and run the motor - maybe not tho, as oil may splash out???   In any case, I don't need the info anymore because I've figured out a way to look at rotor pulse vs iggy coil (spark) timing relationship and I think I know how the advance curve is done in the ignitor software (it's actually pretty cool).   Now I'm tempted to tear into an ignitor to see what chip they are using and then reverse engineer Zuk's software.

I'm sorry, if some of this is over the heads of the "average Savage", but it's way cool for me.   Ultimately, I could end up with a tachometer, temperature, and just about any other sensor in a multi digit display, which of course, I would share and/or kit up for the rest of the forum.

« Last Edit: 06/05/12 at 08:18:45 by 360k+ »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 06/04/12 at 20:24:09

I could end up with a tachometer, temperature, and just about any other sensor in a multi digit display, which of course, I would share and/or kit up for the rest of the forum.

Well,, step Rite on UP to that! Heck Yeaaahh,, Ill give ya the Mupp sisters on that,,

Ita & Tara,, coupla the meanest gals I ever met,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #7 - 06/04/12 at 20:41:57

Sounds great...   ummm altho I'm sure the wife will have issues with Ita and Tara   :'(

Anyway, I'll keep you guys informed of the progress.  Meanwhile, if anybody can think of other schtuff they'd like to see displayed, lemme know and I'll see what can be done.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 06/04/12 at 20:45:41

360k+ wrote on 06/04/12 at 19:48:49:
Ahhh, good question.   I assumed that you could pull the timing cover off the left side and run the motor - maybe not tho, as oil may splash out??? Yes it will   In any case, I don't need the info anymore because I've figured out a way to look at rotor pulse vs iggy coil (spark) timing relationship and I think I how the advance curve is done in the ignitor software (it's actually pretty cool).   Now I'm tempted to tear into an ignitor to see what chip they are using and then reverse engineer Zuk's software.

I'm sorry, if some of this is over the heads of the "average Savage", but it's way cool for me.   Ultimately, I could end up with a tachometer, temperature, and just about any other sensor in a multi digit display, which of course, I would share and/or kit up for the rest of the forum.

this help any?  some discussion on the topic in the link.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1293638302/0

WWW   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #9 - 06/05/12 at 10:12:32

Uh oh, blew the big coil driver transistor.   I was looking at that design in the block diagram, and saw that certain situations can put the transistor right in the current loop.  The shop manual specs the primary side of the coil at 1 to 7 ohms (to DC) - a pretty loose spec indeed - but if it is on the low side that means potentially 10 or 12 amps thru the transistor sitting static with the key switch on.   This is not good.

This TCI design is very old (antiquated), but one of those gadgets that works for the most part so they don't invest in a new design using today's technology.   A new design would use a CPU (or more likely MPU).   Then it would be smart enough to disable the driver transistor when the motor isn't running, have a reprogrammable advance curve, and run the digital tach as well.   I'm tempted to dive right in on mine, but don't want to disable my bike.   I can simulate the circuit, but eventually must actually attach the redesigned ignitor hardware to the bike.   I hate experimenting on my ride because if I blow something I ain't ridin for a while    Sad

Anyway, wayyy good stuff here, vers, thanx.   That really helps a lot.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #10 - 06/05/12 at 11:15:33

BTW, I just looked at the microfiche parts list and the TCI ignitor part retails for $387.   I can tell you from many years of working in computer manufacturing that I'd be surprised if the manufacturing cost is more than $10 or $15.   This is like when you take your broken car into the shop and they tell you the computer board must be replaced for $1500.   If PC manufacturers can sell a far more sophisticated motherboard for $50 AND STILL MAKE A PROFIT then something's wrong with this picture.   This is a massive rip off!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 06/05/12 at 11:34:07

You give me something plug and play I'll give it a go.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
ratz

Wait.......what??

Alabama Gulf Coast
Reply #12 - 06/05/12 at 11:52:40

360k+ wrote on 06/04/12 at 19:48:49:
Ahhh, good question.   I assumed that you could pull the timing cover off the left side and run the motor - maybe not tho, as oil may splash out???   In any case, I don't need the info anymore because I've figured out a way to look at rotor pulse vs iggy coil (spark) timing relationship and I think I know how the advance curve is done in the ignitor software (it's actually pretty cool).   Now I'm tempted to tear into an ignitor to see what chip they are using and then reverse engineer Zuk's software.

Now I wish I could have found my data from when the (non-existant) rev limiter was being discussed. Sounds like you have it very well sorted now. This is NO problem for the igniter you are thinking about building,the stock igniter has an input from the decomp controller that retards the timing further during cranking. I'm probably telling you what you already know though!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 06/05/12 at 12:00:55

ratz wrote on 06/05/12 at 11:52:40:
Now I wish I could have found my data from when the (non-existant) rev limiter was being discussed. Sounds like you have it very well sorted now. This is NO problem for the igniter you are thinking about building,the stock igniter has an input from the decomp controller that retards the timing further during cranking. I'm probably telling you what you already know though!

This one?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1267565477/30

WWW   IP Logged
ratz

Wait.......what??

Alabama Gulf Coast
Reply #14 - 06/05/12 at 12:06:53

Thanks for finding the thread,vers! Actually I was talking about my 'scope data.I would have liked to send it to 360k+ to compare to what he has found.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 19:16:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Timing light?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.