Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Changing muffler / Jets (Read 98 times)
Jacob

2012 Suzuki S40 650

Ford City, PA
Changing muffler / Jets
05/27/12 at 20:43:01

I have a completely stock Suzuki s40. I am in the process of buyimg a Dyna muffler right now. I've already drilled out the brass plug for the mixture screw. I read on here to use the 150 main and leave the pilot at 52.5 I also read to go 152.5 main and leave the pilot 52.5. Like I said, bike is all stock. I'm sure some people have changed out there stock muffler for a Harley Dyna and want to know where to start? Anything will last

Thank you

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Changing muffler / Jets
Reply #1 - 05/27/12 at 21:15:58

YOure at sea level,, well,, 800 feet, snot a lot,, so, youre lean now, the dyna isnt super open,, how is it on popping & growling?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #2 - 05/27/12 at 21:41:38

just to tag onto this instead of opening another while I wait on my jets to arrive.  I have a Jardine Slip-On that came on the bike when I bought it and just installed a K&N filter.  I'm sub 1000 feet altitude as well  so I'm guessing from reading I should be pilot #55 and 155 Main or should I use the leaner 152.5 main.  Not sure how the Jardine is compared to a Dyna muffler.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 05/28/12 at 06:49:16

What you read, should be guidelines, not gospel !
It seems you guy's are just itching to" hack a carb"
Why not read just a little less, and think more of the ole saying......
if'n it ain't broke don't fix it ? All bikes don't run the same w/ the same mods.
IMO, if its running good, don't touch it.
But if you do work it hard in hot weather, play it safe,.... start w/ uping just the main jet to a 150 ?? and go from there? Do any carb mods one step at a time. Then have a good reason to do more.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #4 - 05/28/12 at 10:42:26

well to be honest I was just looking for ya'lls tried and trued wisdom on what worked for the most part.  Was figuring that I would have to play with it a little to get it just right for my little savage. I was just looking for a starting point is all to get me in the ballpark.  But you are also right on another point, meaning if it's running good leave it be. Since putting in the K&N and the temps have started to rise a little more the backfiring has pretty much diss-appeared and I know the carb has already been messed with by the PO because the brass cap has been removed from the pilot circuit adjustment screw.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
bobber_prjct_2010
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/29/12 at 09:58:30

Routy wrote on 05/28/12 at 06:49:16:
What you read, should be guidelines, not gospel !
It seems you guy's are just itching to" hack a carb"
Why not read just a little less, and think more of the ole saying......
if'n it ain't broke don't fix it ? All bikes don't run the same w/ the same mods.
IMO, if its running good, don't touch it.
But if you do work it hard in hot weather, play it safe,.... start w/ uping just the main jet to a 150 ?? and go from there? Do any carb mods one step at a time. Then have a good reason to do more.

I completely agree.  I installed a shorty muffler on my bike last week.  Everything on my bike is stock.  The backfiring was terrible, however, I found that I had a tiny leak where the header bolts to the motor.  Once I fixed that, no more backfiring and I didn't even touch the carb.  If it runs good now, don't mess with the carb.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 03:20:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Changing muffler / Jets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.