Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Can Somebody please help me? (Read 299 times)
Dalziel_A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Can Somebody please help me?
Reply #15 - 05/22/12 at 18:00:06

I gotta try this.. I just had the most frustrating evening trying to figure out where the hell the oil leak was coming from. I took it for a drive around the block the other day to a car wash and gave it a good cleaning then drove it home to see if I could find where it was leaking. It seemed to be leaking from everywhere. Within 2 minutes there was oil on my shoes, around the spark plug and the exhaust (which smokes like crazy, and must look hilarious while I'm sitting at a stop light). But as Wake51 mentioned earlier, I'm finding that the oil level doesn't seem to drop at all. Anyway, let us know how this turns out. I'm in the same boat as you my friend.

IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #16 - 05/22/12 at 18:17:57

Dalziel,
This seems to be the cause of the leak. I'm waiting for the sealant to dry and really check but the plug was barley even on at all! Made total sense. My head gasket was clean so it looks as if it is okay. The repair itself was not to hard at all! A little time consuming took me 3 and a half hours start to finish, including having to take the tank back off because i forgot one small part! But it was not hard at all!

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1177184297

I used that to help me out, takes you step by step to what needs to happen. I'll update you once i take it out on a test run to see how it holds up. I noticed that everywhere that the oil leaked was coming from the headgasket. At higher speeds it would leak onto my pants, and down onto my exhaust making the smoke, which was in fact kinda embarrassing.

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #17 - 05/22/12 at 21:12:54

Way to knock it out! Once you pull the cover and see the plug floating loosely in oil, it's pretty much "OH... yeah that is the problem."

IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #18 - 05/23/12 at 16:32:38

After the initial test ride today of about 20 minutes I think that its safe to say that i fixed the leaks! It was all being caused by the plug, every part. It was a good feeling pulling up to a redlight and not being clouded by smoke!
Thanks everyone for their help!

IP Logged
Dalziel_A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 05/23/12 at 16:41:07

I don't get it! I just came in from the garage when I finally found the oil plug saying "This little piece of crap can't be the real plug".. So I jumped on the computer and come to find out that it is. And it was just sitting there?? Of course it's going to leak! My bike is an '01, and I bought it very recently from a guy who let it sit for the last three years. So I'm assuming that may have something to do with the fact that it leaks. Either way, I'm very excited I found this. Martinfilms34, how exactly did you seal it when you had it opened up? I have silicone sealer I got today from a shop I had it at a while ago, so I'm guessing you just make sure a tight seal is formed around it?
Cheers guys, This forum is a godsend.

IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #20 - 05/23/12 at 16:48:35

Yeah, pretty much just put some sealant around the plug don't be afraid to put a little bit more that what you think is needed cause you can just wipe the excess. Then just go ahead and press it into the hole. Make sure you put sealant on the head cover as well.

IP Logged
Dalziel_A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/24/12 at 04:20:53

Well this fix seems to have worked! Mind you, I finished up everything at 10:30 last night and didn't get a chance to fully test it out, other than running it for a couple minutes in the garage. I checked all the usual spots that were covered with oil within minutes and they're completely dry. I'll take it for a drive to the car wash tonight and spray off the rest of the oil from before and see how it works. Fingers crossed!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 05/24/12 at 04:50:34

I have found on several engines that had never been opened up before, that the plug is just press fit at the factory without any sealer.
Makes me wonder WHY ?  Why no factory sealer ?
Or am I just finding engines that were assembled without the sealer when they SHOULD HAVE BEEN.
Strange since sealer is mentioned in the book.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:19:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Can Somebody please help me?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.