Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
More newb questions from another newb. (Read 189 times)
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
More newb questions from another newb.
05/22/12 at 16:05:21

Hello to all in this awesome forum,

New member and new rider here. I've had my '04 Savage (6400k, bone stock) for 3 weeks now, had my license for 2 whole days now. Unfortunately, its been raining buckets here in the Northeast so all I can do for now is get informed and wait for better weather. This forum is great, but I do have some questions I've been wondering about.

1. This is the first vehicle I've ever owned with a carburetor. I understand the very basics of it, but I know there is going to come a time to adjust my carb. I'm getting blue in my pipes... is that due to a lean mix? I guess just some general carb tips for a newb would settle this up nicely.

2. How often should this bikes oil be changed? I do my car's oil changes and I would like to do the same with the bike. Any videos or pictured tutorial someone could refer me to would be greatly appreciated.

3. The tools I got in my tool box are complete garbage! What tools should I get to replace them? Also, is there anything else I should look for aside from what they teach you to look for in a routine bike check?

4. Has anyone made a gas gauge or trip meter mod to this bike so I can better track how much gas I have? Probably the only thing I don't like about this bike.

5. Is there a reputable online dealer for Savage/S40 parts? I dont like to buy parts on ebay due to past experiences. I'm looking for a windshield, sissy bar and sattlebags, preferably used since I blew most of my money on my bike, insurance, registration and the safety licensing course.

A premature thank you for all of the help!

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: More newb questions from another newb.
Reply #1 - 05/22/12 at 16:29:13

1. Look in the tech section re carbs. It is indexed.
2. General consensus is every 3000 mi. There are as many opinions on which oil to use as there are types of oil. Personally I use Rotella T6.
3.There is a recent thread regarding tool kits. In cafe or rubber side down , can't remember which.
4. The cheapest easiest thing to do is buy yourself a china marker (grease pencil) and write the odometer reading + 100  on one of the mirrors when you fill up. When you approach that reading on the odometer it's time to look for a gas station. If it is bone stock you can probably get 120 mi on a tank. The only way to find out is to run it out of gas and see how many miles you went, then put it on reserve and you have 25 miles to find a gas station.
5. A lot of folks here use Ron Ayers. Bike Bandit is ok too.
Bluing is a natural and normal thing, but these bikes are set lean at the factory. Refer to the carb section for suggestions. You can remove the blue with a polish called Blue Job.
I notice you quote your odometer reading in kilometers. Is it a Canadian or European bike?
Now go read. Wink

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #2 - 05/22/12 at 16:32:54

1. the header pipes blue this bike, get some blue-job and wipe your blues away! or you could wrap it with exhaust wrap, or get heat shields. adjusting your idle mix screw is in the tech section, the bike pops on decel out of the box...

2. 3k miles from the manual, whenever you feel like it realistically...

3. replace what ever you can find that's higher quality, for example I replaced everything I could with a ratchet and some sockets/screw tips, left what I couldn't in the bag..

4. lot's of info on this in the tech section, I personally just count every 100 miles or peek in the tank every now and then...

5. get the schematic guide for the bike (tech section), then you can search the net by part number and find whatever you need and decide where to order from, or try your local suzuki dealer.. if it's an easy nut and bolt you can try your local hardware dealers..

don't be like me and go tinkering with the engine and stuff (unless you know what you're actually doing) and end up with a sloppy running bike (that still rules)... I'll know what I'm actually doing soon enough though Cheesy

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #3 - 05/22/12 at 16:41:29

2. 1,500 miles from the manual, whenever you feel like it realistically...
What manual are you lookin' at. Mine says every 3500 miles, after the first one at 600.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #4 - 05/22/12 at 17:14:13

EDIT: You're right, every 3k miles for the oil change.. I have no clue where I pulled 1,500 out of.. I do change mine around 3-4k... I must be working too hard  Shocked

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 05/23/12 at 04:05:17

3000 mile oil changes are a decent standard, but I watch the oil level sight gauge and when the oil is no longer clear looking, but is turning dark, then I change it.  Even if the oil itself is still good...especially the synthetic types since they remain viable longer, it is the contaminants that the oil picks up that causes wear and damage.
If we had a better filtering system that removed the contaminants from the oil then we could go longer between changes.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #6 - 05/23/12 at 04:29:21

So far I have used Suzuki filters. Are there better ones?

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 05/23/12 at 04:47:20

Don't just assume you need to adjust your carb.
If its idling and running good, except for the speed nut, don't touch it,......it could save you a heap a trouble.

Change oil when it looks dirty,.......or even before.. A book doesn't know when you should change oil, but you should know.

Use any MC oil, or Shell Rotella 15-40 is popular here.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 05/23/12 at 08:20:22

Keep a close eye on that oil level, you mite even want to use the "slight overfill" method many here have tested & proven. Some fill it so that they can see oil when its on the stand.

When the oil starts to get old, it will start using oil, I add a little a couple of times & I can see it start to use it faster,, all in a matter of a coupla weeks,, gives me time to get ready & do it,,

I dont see any need to just dump $$$ in the crank case to prove ya love it.
Ive seen one of these things with 90+ thousand miles on it & from the looks of it, it didnt get the best of care,

I run Rotella 15-40. Hasnt blowed up yet..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #9 - 05/23/12 at 08:32:13

arteacher wrote on 05/23/12 at 04:29:21:
So far I have used Suzuki filters. Are there better ones?

I've been using K&N oil filters, bought from Amazon.com they're cheaper than most oil filters, seems like they clean the oil so well that you don't even need the full 2.5 quarts...

IP Logged
TheSavagePJ

Learn as you go...

Schenectady, NY
Reply #10 - 05/23/12 at 08:37:10

Thanks for all the help.

Just had my mind blown away by the pdf link to the clymers service manual. Simply amazing.

I should rephrase my mileage, 6400 miles, not 6,400,000 miles, though I would love to think that my bike circled the earth or rode to the moon and back a few times  Grin

I really dont plan on messing with the carb too much. The important thing is that it runs well, has an occasional pop when riding, but nothing that makes me uneasy.

Are there any of you in the Northeast? Are there any meets around the New York/tristate area? Another reason I got the bike was to get out and meet some new people, young and old, male, female, and not spend another summer sitting around.

2004, stock minus dyna exhaust
TheSavagePJ electrospector00   IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #11 - 05/23/12 at 08:40:21

TheSavagePJ wrote on 05/23/12 at 08:37:10:
Are there any of you in the Northeast? Are there any meets around the New York/tristate area? Another reason I got the bike was to get out and meet some new people, young and old, male, female, and not spend another summer sitting around.

I am in SE PA. I haven't seen anyone around me either.

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #12 - 05/23/12 at 12:22:54

I'm in Pittsburgh, PA. I don't know of any specific meets but we have charity rides in Pittsburgh every so often. They are hard to hear of, kind of have to be in the right place at the right time to learn about them. An example is that a few weeks ago a local bar/restaurant had a charity ride for the local fire station

The other two big meets I know of are Thunder in the Valley (which is in Johnstown, PA) and Roar on the Shore (Erie, PA). Family in both of those places alerted me to those meets, otherwise I never would have known about them.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #13 - 05/23/12 at 20:03:27

TheSavagePJ wrote on 05/22/12 at 16:05:21:
Hello to all in this awesome forum,

New member and new rider here. I've had my '04 Savage (6400k, bone stock) for 3 weeks now, had my license for 2 whole days now. Unfortunately, its been raining buckets here in the Northeast so all I can do for now is get informed and wait for better weather.

Welcome PJ.   Wow 6.4 million miles and not burning any oil!    Grin

Anyway, take it from me, if your community ever finds itself in an extended drought period, just go out an buy a new motorcycle.   It is a virtual guarantee that a deluge will begin that day that will last 40 days and nights.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 15:20:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › More newb questions from another newb.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.