Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Savage Owner Here! Need some help! (Read 421 times)
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
New Savage Owner Here! Need some help!
04/19/12 at 18:20:47

With the coming of my 18th birthday, I decided to buy myself a bike.
I've always loved bikes, and riding them, and the day finally came! Unlike most guys my age I was always against the sports bikes, so naturally i went with a cruiser. On sunday I purchased my first bike, a 1987 Suzuki Savage. The bike is in great condition with only 6,500 original miles, new tires, and many new parts.

But of course as a new, never before owner of a motorcycle i have some questions which would be awesome if you guys helped answer.
Here they are:

What kind of oil should I buy? IM planning on changing the oil soon, and how will i know if i need a filter change as well?

My bike seems to have the notorious head gasket plug leak, I heard its okay to ride it with it, i just gotta keep an eye on the oil levels, is this correct? And how much is okay for it to leak? I mean i know it shouldnt leak at all but whats acceptable.

And my last question is how does the tank system work? Do i set it on prime, and switch it to reserve when prime is almost out? Mine is set right on the middle.

Thanks, and i hope you guys can help me out, it would really make my riding experience a whole lot better!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: New Savage Owner Here! Need some help!
Reply #1 - 04/19/12 at 18:31:48

He said the "O" word!... Lips Sealed...

Shell Rotella diesel oil... (wallmart)... Seriously... it's good for a Savage..
Yes, change the filter, (you don't know where the old one has been)...
(Off brand is just as good as Suzuki brand)...
The leak needs fixed when you have to top off every ride... (or when yer' sick of wiping up)...
Stock, vacuum petcock, is reserve,on,prime...
ON to run... reserve when you run out... prime when the bike has been sitting for more than a week, or has been run out of gas, or has had carb work,.. or just won't start otherwise for any reason...
Prime requires no vacuum to work... other positions need a running engine to let fuel flow...
Don't run all the time on prime, 'cause you'll have no reserve...It's just for stubborn starting, or troubleshooting, or draining the tank to do work...

Okie-dokie?... Huh...

Now... let the oil war begin!... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/19/12 at 19:47:06

the 4 speeds shut down quirk.  On shut off the engine will on occasion spin backwards.  This is bad for the 4 speeds.  The 5 speeds have a torque limiter in the starter gear train that eliminates the problem.

When you come to shut her off, leave it in gear and as she starts to spin down, snub the spin.  grab the front brake tight and let out the clutch slowly.

or...

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1288911670

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #3 - 04/19/12 at 19:56:17

Grasshopper, you have just been instructed by two of the top ten most knowledgeable people on here. I will not add except to say, "Welcome. Be safe."  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
MarkHB

Go for it!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #4 - 04/19/12 at 21:08:47

I'll echo Boofer: Be Safe. I've been on the road longer than you've been on the Earth, and I still screw up. And that's not counting all the nutjobs out there who text, drink, talk, do their nails or whatever behind the wheel other than driving and paying attention. Be extra cautious. Be wary of every vehicle you see. Be aware of every turn in the road, every intersection and where your outs are. Be safe, brother.

OK, the Dad Speech (TM) is over.  Wink Welcome, and long may you ride!

Stock White 2007 S40
Raptor petcock
1/2 white spacer
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 04/19/12 at 21:43:13

The riders safety course,, highly recommended.
Protective gear,, highly recommended

head on a swivel, highly recommended.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #6 - 04/20/12 at 06:09:23

Thanks a lot for the help everybody, to everyone giving me the safety advice, I plan on being as safe as possible.
I'm buying my helmet today, gonna get a full face for the extra protection as I begin my first stages of rising.
And I'm also purchasing a jacket. One of my main reasons for getting a cruiser is for the safety factor. I have the mentality of " why would you buy a sports bike that goes over 180 mph and not think of going fast" and I jut overall think cruisers look awesome!

As for the safety course, I signed up to take it at my local HD dealership. I plan on being as safe as possible. I'm staying off highways and main roads for a while.
Thanks everyone!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 04/20/12 at 06:44:05

Welcome!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/20/12 at 09:06:54

I'm staying off highways and main roads for a while.

I had been w/o a bike for 25 years or so,, & thats what I did. Boy I was scared to death the first time I got in the mix,,& the 2nd, & the 3rd,, it slowly got more normal,, but riding out on the rural roads is still where Im happiest.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #9 - 04/20/12 at 09:24:54

I still remember my first trip down the super slab. I made it two off ramps.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Tim
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/20/12 at 09:44:22

Welcome!  Smiley I have been riding for about 2 years non-consecutively, had a hiatus after I sold a bike, have had my license for about 4 years and just bought an '87 Savage about a month ago as well, and I love it! I have seen some of the projects that have been done on this forum and I have to say that I have some plans for this bike! I am also still learning a lot about this bike as well, so thius questions section of the forum is awesome for picking up tips on keepin her runnin tip top!

IP Logged
Scott McCrory

Thumper newbie

Columbus Ohio USA
Reply #11 - 04/20/12 at 11:41:08

martinfilms34 wrote on 04/20/12 at 06:09:23:
Thanks a lot for the help everybody, to everyone giving me the safety advice, I plan on being as safe as possible.
I'm buying my helmet today, gonna get a full face for the extra protection as I begin my first stages of rising.
And I'm also purchasing a jacket. One of my main reasons for getting a cruiser is for the safety factor. I have the mentality of " why would you buy a sports bike that goes over 180 mph and not think of going fast" and I jut overall think cruisers look awesome!

As for the safety course, I signed up to take it at my local HD dealership. I plan on being as safe as possible. I'm staying off highways and main roads for a while.
Thanks everyone!

I like this guy already!  Cool

Like the others are saying, welcome to Thumperhood!
- Scott

2006 Suzuki S40 Boulevard
  IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #12 - 04/20/12 at 17:58:18

Is there any store you guys purchase your oil filters from? Or should I just order it online?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #13 - 04/20/12 at 18:01:31

Call around to the bike shops in the area. Theres a local guy I like who is also the best deal, not the Zuki dealer,, in fact, the only places Ive been in where I didnt feel like a space alien is his place & the Kawa shop..all the other places acted like if I wasnt buyin some fancy bike, I needed to scoot on,,

I said all that to say this,, then forgot,, so, here goes. I spend my $$ locally when I can, I got my battery from my favorite shop, but went online for the tire, cuz I simply cant drop 120 locally when 80 gets it online, but filters? Please,,  gimme a break,, I could save a few pennies, maybe, buyin online, but help keep a place goin, develop a relationship
& some day when you need someone to point you in the right direction, maybe they will remember you as a decent customer & help you out a bit,

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #14 - 04/20/12 at 19:13:23

enjoy, have fun tinkering with the bike and making it fit your own style.  Gear up safe and watch out for those idiots.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/05/24 at 15:40:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Savage Owner Here! Need some help!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.