Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is Shifting Hard Normal For Being New (Read 130 times)
Jacob

2012 Suzuki S40 650

Ford City, PA
Is Shifting Hard Normal For Being New
04/19/12 at 15:07:49

I bought the bike brand new 1 mile. It now has 230 miles. It is a 2012. I have not changed the oil or done anything to it yet. I've checked all the fluids and everything is good. I am not changing the oil till 500-600 miles like the manual says because I bought the 5 yr warranty and don't want to ruin that. But anyhow, to the problem. I've noticed that when I shift it seems to be alittle loud or hard? Like I don't have the clutch pulled in all the way or something but I do have the clutch completely pulled in and the throttle closed when I shift. I wasn't sure if maybe it would be little loud and hard while shifting since the bike is breaking in or until I do the first oil change. Please any comments or advice would be great. Thanks.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Is Shifting Hard Normal For Being New
Reply #1 - 04/19/12 at 16:03:42

A little loud and hard .. compared to what?  The LS650 is a very simple machine compared to most motorcycles.  Nothing fancy in the transmission, clutch or engine.  It may seem loud and hard if you are use to a sport bike, or something more "sophisticated".
And how you shift can impact how loud and hard it is.  You don't need to close the throttle all the way when you shift, just back off a little bit.  That will cause the shafts to be closer to the same speed than if you shut the throttle down all the way.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/19/12 at 16:51:47

Ever ride a Hog?... ours is silk in comparison... Grin...

I wouldn't be worried... and it will smooth a bit with time...
Also,.. check that your shift lever is positioned nicely for your foot...
It's adjustable, you know... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/19/12 at 18:17:55

Dang things are like wine & violins,, they get smoother with time,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
MarkHB

Go for it!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #4 - 04/19/12 at 21:15:14

Check the tension on the cable running from your left hand lever to the clutch arm; I recently tightened mine up to reduce the slack and it's shifting much nicer now. Given that yours is a new bike, the cables are probably still stretching.

Stock White 2007 S40
Raptor petcock
1/2 white spacer
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 04/19/12 at 21:40:05

Dont take so much slack out that the cable stays tite.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #6 - 04/20/12 at 07:02:12

Has the bike been adjusted to fit you? From the angle of the bars & levers to the height of the brake pedal & shifter, the clutch cable adjustment, it all adds up to a bike that may not be adjusted correctly to you. I recently worked on a friends' bike & was amazed that he had it for 3 years & nothing was positioned right. Since he is about my same size, I readjusted everything, especially the angle of the clutch & brake levers. When he picked it up & rode off, he came back in a bit & asked what I did, because "it never felt this comfortable before". A couple more adjustments with him on it made it even better. Cool

I'm always amazed at the people who don't change things on their bikes, riding them just the way they were delivered. No wonder so many don't get ridden much. Shocked

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
MarkHB

Go for it!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #7 - 04/20/12 at 07:17:26

+1 on justin_o_guy2's comment about tension. The cable must still be slack when you're not pulling on the lever -- Owner's Manual (see Tech section) says 10 - 15mm of play on the lever.

Stock White 2007 S40
Raptor petcock
1/2 white spacer
  IP Logged
Jacob

2012 Suzuki S40 650

Ford City, PA
Reply #8 - 04/21/12 at 18:02:04

Thanks everyone. I kind of figured the bike shifting would smooth out as I keep riding it. After all it does have less then 300 miles still. I absolutely love the Suzuki S40. Fun to ride and lots of power! I wanted to thank the folk that told me about the slack in the clutch, I recently tightened it up. No slack in it but haven't rode it yet so before I ride it next time I will definitely be putting some slack in it. Thank you! And I am going with the manual on the oil and filter change and doing it between 500-600 miles. Thanks everyone. Your advice will always make a difference!

Jacob

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 04/21/12 at 21:52:04

Your advice will always make a difference!

Even bad advice makes a difference,, just not a very desirable one,

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #10 - 04/22/12 at 09:18:12

You give no indication of riding experience...do you have enough rpm's when shifting (and this is a wonderfully forgiving bike on this issue)?? are you rushing the shift??  and as noted, check the play of the cable.
Welcome aboard, ride safe. Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:36:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Is Shifting Hard Normal For Being New

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.