Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
no oil pressure still!!!! (Read 60 times)
baker87

ridin since 06

venus tx
no oil pressure still!!!!
04/21/12 at 19:31:18

just went through and cleaned my engine thoroughly cause it ate the rockerarms and scrapped the cam..... i checked the oil pump and it pumps great.... with a 1/2 inch drill it took 2 seconds to get oil to the head at 700 rpms.... i checked clearance and its all fine.... so why am i getting oil to the head but no oil pressure?????? Angry Huh Undecided

ride hard/live hard
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: no oil pressure still!!!!
Reply #1 - 04/21/12 at 19:48:26

There is a pressure test port on the main gallery, see if you get pressure there.

I have redone an engine with this "no pressure" situation.   I found that previous "clutch basket removal" repairs which had accidentally reversed a behind the basket flanged washer had also moved the oil pump gear out far enough that it could disengage from the clutch basket gear.  

This same engine was also missing the small "anti-spin" pin that makes a positive connection for the gear behind the basket that drives the oil pump, without the "anti-spin" pin it was slip city under any real world oil back pressure from the oil pump.

I have seen engines with clutch side cover gaskets that permitted all oil pressure to dump out before making it to the jug stud pathway to the head.  

I saw one gasket with NO THROUGH HOLE in it for the oil pressure to make the trip to the oil filter.

I have seen bad crank rod male passage to female cover lip seals (badly torn) that did the same thing, dumped out all the pressure.

I have heard of people losing the little metering jet (located next to the speedo gear & spud) that goes to the transmission that can come out when you take the side cover off, venting way too much oil down the tranny and starving the head.

There is a whole stack of gaskets/"o"rings on the jug base, the head gasket, the top cover that must be done correctly or you cut off the vertical oil path (this assumes you didn't cut it off earlier by doing one of the things above.

Lastly, the little drilled passages up in the head cover love to get blocked off by silicone gasket maker "ooze" & loose chunks of that same substance that get loose down below.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
baker87

ridin since 06

venus tx
Reply #2 - 04/21/12 at 20:18:21

i use a compression tester for 14mm sparkplug at the test port....
and as for the anti spin pin i have it installed....
not sure bout anything else...thanks for helpin i will check tomorrow...

ride hard/live hard
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 04/21/12 at 21:48:50

Id pull all the junk off that keeps the oil pump drive shaft covered & build a low cover to keep oil in with the side cover off & spin that thing with a drill,, YOu cant start it till you know where you have pressure & where it is stopping,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 04/22/12 at 10:22:09

If you have no oil pressure at the test port, then the oil pump isn't getting driven correctly or has internal problems of its own.

Splitting the cases to get to the oil pump is a major pain in the butt -- most folks simply seek a replacement motor at that stage as so much has already been damaged by the lack of oil pressure.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 20:26:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › no oil pressure still!!!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.