Velocity stacks (Read 771 times)
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Velocity stacks
Reply #15 - 03/01/12 at 07:58:53

Bubba wrote on 03/01/12 at 07:48:58:
I'd be interested in what performance one gets after someone installs this on a savage.
Any thoughts on what this is going to do to your engine since the screen basically keeps bugs out?

What it's going to do will depend on where, when, and how you ride it. Yes it will keep the bugs and leaves out, but should otherwise give you unrestricted airflow. If you ride in the rain, or wet, or dirt/fine dust/road salt (A serious condition up here in the great white North...) those fine particles will get sucked right in.
I can't speak directly about this particular Velocity Stack - I'm just talking generally. Most usually come with some sort of screen, like this one. The finer the screen, the more protection it will offer, but it's NOT a filter.
A lot of guys who use them, will keep a cone filter on hand for wet/dirty conditions and use the stack on clean, dry days. You just need to have a cone filter with REALLY good air flow so that the jetting wouldn't need to be changed.
With the Savage, it should be an easy 5 minute swap every time, (I'm guessing...) so it wouldn't be impractical to have both, and this looks like a very nicely made unit for a very good price...
Wink

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #16 - 03/02/12 at 04:34:11

6" velocity stock on Edelbrock carb in this photo.  I use a microscreen filter that fits over the outside of the intake...will take a photo of that later and post it here

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 03/02/12 at 06:49:53

HEY LANCER, THAT LOOKS AMAZING!
Can you tell us more about it; how it works for you, and why you have it set up that way? Why is it so long? Does that help with turbulence?
I'm sure you've posted this info elsewhere, so just some links, or tell us where to look for it would be helpful.
Cheers!

IP Logged
beacon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 03/02/12 at 08:35:22

Contact me (Wombat) by email to get your order in.
SinglesGoinSteady wrote on 02/27/12 at 22:45:33:
Ya I'm in for one.  Once that airbox is gone, yanking the carb is cake.  How much extra velocity is this going to give me, ha ha.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #19 - 03/02/12 at 17:36:54

teabowl13 wrote on 03/02/12 at 06:49:53:
HEY LANCER, THAT LOOKS AMAZING!
Can you tell us more about it; how it works for you, and why you have it set up that way? Why is it so long? Does that help with turbulence?
I'm sure you've posted this info elsewhere, so just some links, or tell us where to look for it would be helpful.
Cheers!

The longer the tunnel the more the air flow is straightened out before it enters the engine, and should improve air velocity as a result.
More velocity = more power & responsiveness.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #20 - 03/02/12 at 21:53:16

I considered putting one on my MK2, as Amal makes one for it, but decided to stick with my K&N.  It's a personal preference but I feel I'm choosing cleaner air over faster air.  Is that not a correct assessment?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
ST33ZY-G
YaBB Newbies

Bay Area, CA
Reply #21 - 10/22/12 at 22:20:00

Hey wombat are you still getting those velocity stacks cuz id really be down to get one from your guy making those things i cant pm cuz i need to reach 10 posts  Angry since im just signed up for the site lol

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #22 - 10/23/12 at 10:49:57

It is difficult to judge from the pictures, but I would guess the wire mesh essentially blocks off about half of the area of the stack, and would thus restrict the airflow. Also, the round wires from which the mesh is made are not streamlined, so the flow around and downstream from the wires would be turbulent.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:24:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Velocity stacks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.