Send Topic Print
Fuel Stabilizer (Read 171 times)
rodeoclown

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Glenview,Il
Fuel Stabilizer
10/21/12 at 04:51:08

What fuel stabilizer do you guys use for winterizing? Would sea foam be ok?

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Fuel Stabilizer
Reply #1 - 10/21/12 at 05:07:25

rodeoclown wrote on 10/21/12 at 04:51:08:
What fuel stabilizer do you guys use for winterizing? Would sea foam be ok?    

I don't use any.
Todays E10 will easily store for a year and more w/ no noticable degredation in quality.
If I knew it mite set longer than that, I would use Stabil, only because it was the first out.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/21/12 at 05:22:08

Stabil blue the marine version it works with ethanol or startron, the ethanol crap sold in fla wont store more than a few weeks. We have been down this road you cant say there is no problem because there IS!  There are many fuel blends being used maybe some store well others DO NOT!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 10/21/12 at 05:23:10

For many years (say, from 1980 to 2000) I used no fuel stabilizer at all, and had no problems at all with gas stored for at least a year in standard motorcycle tanks. On those bikes on which it was easy I drained the carburetors; on the ones where draining was difficult I didn't bother. For the last several years (about 2000 onward) I have been using Sta-Bil, and have still had no problems. It is hard for me to tell the difference from "no problems" to "no problems." When my present large container of Sta-bil runs out I probably will not bother to replace it. By the way, if you read the directions, the container of Sta-bil says it should be used within two years of opening. Makes me wonder how a product with a self-claimed shelf life of two years can preserve gasoline for very long.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #4 - 10/21/12 at 07:09:20

I use Stabil in my mowers, and my emergency generator, and this year I'll use it in the bike - first time I've had one in many years. Everything I've used Stabil in has always been just fine come Spring.
This is the red stuff from the auto store. I've never seen the blue version. Is it different ? Better?

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #5 - 10/21/12 at 07:26:43

I've never used any stabilizer and my savage sits for october to april. never had a problem. my generator sits for a year or more between uses and never had a problem with that either. same goes for the lawn mower and string trimmer. Might be different in warmer climates but in warmer climates I'd be riding, not storing.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 10/21/12 at 08:13:05

For my equipment storage like chainsaws, lawn mowers, tillers, weed wackers I drain the tanks, then start them and let them idle until the fuel runs out.  I put a small piece of plastic wrap over the fuel caps to prevent the tank from pulling in moisture as the temperature and air pressure changes.  My generator has 100LL Avgas in it, as that will never turn bad and never gum up a carb.

For the motorycle I go for a ride and get it nice and warm.  Then it gets drained including the float bowl.  Then the cap is sealed with the plastic wrap placed under the cap.

If you don't want to drain the tank - fill it up with fresh fuel with Sta-Bil added.  Open the drain screw and let all the fuel drain out of the float bowl.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 10/21/12 at 08:16:34

ALfromN.H.  FSO wrote on 10/21/12 at 07:26:43:
I've never used any stabilizer and my savage sits for october to april. never had a problem. my generator sits for a year or more between uses and never had a problem with that either. same goes for the lawn mower and string trimmer. Might be different in warmer climates but in warmer climates I'd be riding, not storing.

From someone who actually knows !

I could add that I been using a little 2 stroke tiller off and on all summer,  on last year's 40:1 E10. Starts 2nd pull every time.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #8 - 10/21/12 at 18:37:10

Charon wrote on 10/21/12 at 05:23:10:
.....By the way, if you read the directions, the container of Sta-bil says it should be used within two years of opening. Makes me wonder how a product with a self-claimed shelf life of two years can preserve gasoline for very long.

Char,

You may want to check your bottle of Sta-bil for precipitates.  I had a bottle for several years that I had to trash for this very reason......

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
ZAR
Serious Thumper

Rock this town! Rock
it inside out!

Kentucky, USA
Reply #9 - 10/21/12 at 18:58:24

Drifter wrote on 10/21/12 at 05:22:08:
Stabil blue the marine version it works with ethanol or startron, the ethanol crap sold in fla wont store more than a few weeks. We have been down this road you cant say there is no problem because there IS!  There are many fuel blends being used maybe some store well others DO NOT!  

Same situation here in Kentucky and Southern Indiana......let a piece of equipment sit for three or four weeks and it runs like crap. Let it sit two months and it does not start until you rebuild the carb and clean the fuel system.

Star-tron has been the best treatment I've used.

And yeah...I've had a lot of experience with the ethanol fuel fiasco...I work for an outdoor power equipment dealer/repair company that sees over 500 pieces of equipment through the service department every month.

Yellow 1996 Jetted and Dunstall exhaust. Dakota Chubby Bags, Memphis Slim shield,Tank Bib from?? Seat riser mod. More to come!
  IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 10/22/12 at 08:50:04

The biggest problem in my neck of the woods is actually stuff that gets put away over the summer months - snowblowers that get pushed into the garage after the last blizzard of the year and don't get touched until it snows again. I think the fuel goes bad faster in the hot months.

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #11 - 10/22/12 at 17:04:12

oldNslow wrote on 10/22/12 at 08:50:04:
I think the fuel goes bad faster in the hot months.

I suspect that, too. All chemical reactions happen faster at higher temperatures. The cold of winter acts just like a refrigerator, and stuff stays fresh longer. Which probably helps explain why I had no trouble for years with unstabilized gasoline kept in motorcycles stored in an unheated garage in Nebraska.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 10/22/12 at 18:24:11

I had the bowl off last week, it sat for about an hour, uncovered.
When I sat it down it was clear, when I picked it up, it was cloudy.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 14:50:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel Stabilizer

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.