Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
valve timing inspection cover (Read 661 times)
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: valve timing inspection cover
Reply #15 - 08/20/12 at 20:47:04

Mine wouldn't come loose with any scredriver, hand tool or brake pads. I have a 3/4" cold chisel I tapped lightly but solidly straight on to "break" it loose. Then used channel locks to turn it with same chisel. No problem. BUT I have used chisels and hammers extensively and understand the strengths of the metal I work on. (Usually) Verslagen's caution is not misplaced and should be adhered to. Just the way I did it. The key to doing almost anything is not to get frustrated and let your inner gorilla take over. BTW I put it back with anti-seize as I do on a lot of similar projects.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 08/20/12 at 20:47:24

You need a friend, someone to hold the tool in place Firmly, while you use a hammer to put some power to the tool. Macho isnt the answer, its the shock, keep pressure on the tool, dont let it bounce in the slot Clockwise after you spank it CCW,,A smallish hammer with quick raps, & dont forget the board across the plug & a few quick raps around where the threads are.
Once its out, use antisieze & dont get it as tite as the ape who was in there did.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 08/20/12 at 20:58:01

the plug is aluminum and the cover is aluminum, not a good combination.
when you put it back, use a new o-ring and don't tighten it the shoulder meets cover.

A few sharp raps on the face of the plug may loosen it.

WWW   IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #18 - 08/20/12 at 21:01:26

Agreed.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
jase_mcgee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 07/08/13 at 14:13:05

I'm having the same issue. I just bent washers and a bar opener and it still won't break free. I used a pipe wrench for added leverage, and just watched the washers slowly warp. Liquid Wrench hasn't helped. How stuck can these things get?

I've given up after trying all the rigged ways and broke down and ordered the tool so hoping that works. Any other suggestions?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 07/08/13 at 14:16:43

Ride the bike around and get the engine hot.....then try to remove it before the engine cools down.  When you put it back in....just snug it up as the thing does not need be tight to seal.....the O-ring does the sealing.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 07/08/13 at 14:26:11

An old brake pad fits in the slot tightly.  

grind the end flat, use a large cresant wrench to turn it and push it up against the plug to prevent twisting the plate.

also the tank/seat bracket works, but not as stiff and no mod required.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 07/08/13 at 14:57:25

yes, ride it,, get it good & warmed up, pull up to tools laid out & ready, have a friend meet you with an ice cube, cool that plug down. then, use some pressure CCW & a light hammer. while youre twisting, pop the tool quick & lite, its aluminum, youre just trying to shake it a little,, you can pop straight in & slightly flex the plug & you can tap the tool in a CCW direction,, by light, quick, i mean just fingers on the handle, not a full grip, loose in the hand, if you dont have smaller than a 1 pound hammer, maybe an extension or punch, i use a body hammer for this kinda stuff, maybe 6 oz?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #23 - 07/08/13 at 15:03:59

I swear mine was reverse threaded when I took it out a while back.  You know, as we get older our memory is not as good but I think it was.

I hate to jump in all Moderator type...but this is a bad rumor to get started.  This is not a reverse thread......turn it counterclockwise to remove it!   Dave

Absolutely... regular thread, righty tighty/lefty loosy  -v1

Edit -

Thanks, Dave.  I stand corrected.  I don't know what had me thinking that.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 07/08/13 at 15:07:19

i cant remember if i ever had a good memory,,

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #25 - 07/08/13 at 15:39:10

You can't see through that little bitty hole anyway, just pull the whole cover. Of course, you have to loosen the peg/engine/sidestand bolts to do so, and drop the right side foot peg/brake lever...

Seriously, if the bike has enough miles to have heat seized the inspection plug, you need to check the timing chain anyway.

2 fer 1, then you can ignore it for another however long... unless you know how to check the valve lash w/o using the mark, or notch, or however it is designated on our engines. It isn't tricky, anybody who's ever driven a 22R equipped Toyota (rwd and trucks) already knows how...

And do not be surprised if the Motion Pro "tool" bends, it's really a poor grade of steel. Buy the part from Honda, THEIR tool line, NOT an Emgo, Motion Pro or other cheap knock-off.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Badass94Cad

This space for rent

Mass-->Jerz-->PA!
Reply #26 - 07/08/13 at 15:43:31

Glad I happened upon these tips!  I have to check/adjust my valves for the first time since I've owned the bike, if not ever.  Roll Eyes

1995 Suzuki Savage - It's a rat, but it's MY rat!
  IP Logged
wheelsoffreedom76
YaBB Newbies

Kansas
Reply #27 - 07/18/13 at 20:03:17

Mine was stuck good too the first time. Another way to do the temp diff is to warm up the bike, get a can of compressed air for computers and turn it upside down and spray the inspection plug till it's good and frosty. I have used compressed air as a mechanic many times for stuck parts.

06 S40
  IP Logged
damiancds
YaBB Newbies

I've caught the bug
and can't/won't
stop!

Upstate NY
Reply #28 - 08/12/14 at 19:25:13

Not to bring up an old thread but,

Does anyone have a part # for the vl800 timing cover?

I looked, and the diagrams for a '96 and a '03 show a slotted. then i found one in a '08 diagram with part number 09259-36008.

I just want to confirm that it will fit (threads and o-ring)

1996 Suzuki Savage ls650 Stock, Except for:
-Larger Rear tire (140/90-15)
-saddlebags
-winshield
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #29 - 08/12/14 at 20:21:27

Bubba wrote on 02/05/13 at 07:56:59:
I replaced mine with an Intruder/M50 timing port cover....it uses a hex key....way more betterer... Smiley

sbaugz wrote on 04/26/11 at 13:36:13:
here is the link to the one I bought. It fits and looks great.
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products/533957-suzuki-09259-36008-hard-parts-...

If you take a look, I think any year vs800 will be fine.

From that post, the p/n you're looking for is 09259-36008

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/11/24 at 01:16:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › valve timing inspection cover

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.