Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
roll bars or crash bars (Read 281 times)
royblueboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

roll bars or crash bars
12/04/11 at 19:11:33

I am looking for opinions on these, after I broke my ankle my wife thinks I need one. would they really help when the bike lays over?      thanks in advance for responding.

2005 650 pearl,memphis windshield.vic 100 muffler
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: roll bars or crash bars
Reply #1 - 12/04/11 at 22:08:23

Lace up boots do a good job of protecting ankles. A crash bar is good for protecting the bike & IF you can keep your leg out from under the thing, then yea, thats a good plan, but Id want some boots first. Just my O pinion,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 12/04/11 at 22:33:43

After the 1st time letting a bike fall on your leg should be your last.
That ankle will remember the last time and jump outta the way.

Good boots

don't get the oem bar, too small I've heard.

WWW   IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #3 - 12/04/11 at 23:01:02

My bike came with the OEM. When I laid it down the engine guard did not get a scratch on it.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 12/05/11 at 03:12:18

I was rear ended while riding a 1976 GL1000. I had rear crash bars that folded up against my foot pushing it through the right side case. It broke my ankle but I still got a foot!
And, the old sphincter works better than ever...every time I hear brakes sguea!l Grin

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 12/05/11 at 11:55:44

I have the OEM crash bars on my bike.  I laid it down and broke a foot, in fact I was trapped under the thing for a couple of minutes.  The crash bars don't have a scratch on them.  My foot and leg, the grip, mirror, peg, and turn signal took the damage.

If you look at some pictures from the fifties you'll see that they made crash bars larger back then so that when the bike was laid down it sat on the crash bar and the tires.  BUT, it has been pointed out to me from an informed source that they quit making them like that because it contributed to high sides.  Sliding out is better than a high side.

Verslagen1 said that after the first time you will automatically pull that leg up and I can say from experience that he is right, except when you get old like me and you get stiff, slow and out of practice.  Sliding out was considered a standard defensive move in my day and I did it many times, always pulling that leg up and going down with the bike and then sliding off.  

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #6 - 12/05/11 at 12:50:15

Modify your foot pegs so they don't fold. They (and the handle bars) should keep the bike off you. It's cheaper and lighter than crash bars, too.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #7 - 12/05/11 at 15:24:05

Yeah, laying her down was what I was told too. But that was back in the 60s & was wrong even back then. It was the thing to do when the bikes didn't have very good brakes. And a lot of old school choppers ran no front brake, Indian Larry was one of many. Sad

But the first time a lady backed out in front of me, I laid 'er down just as taught. I remember thinking as I slid down the road, that was dumb, I could have stopped. And whether I hit her or not, this is an accident. I HAVE NOT laid 'er down to avoid an accident since 1967. I haven't been in a wreck since 1968. I've had close calls, but practicing emergency braking & evasive moves has paid off MANY times through the years. Cool

An engine guard usually only helps in a low speed tip over. They are not meant to do anything in a real collision. Most don't attach to the frame well enough to offer any real protection. In some cases, it might even do more damage by trapping your foot or leg.  Undecided

That being said, I have one on my new bike. I don't have one on my Savage but if I did it would be the Wingerline? style. The OEM one doesn't even make a good place to mount hi-way pegs.  Grin

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Arizuno

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Prescott, AZ
Reply #8 - 12/05/11 at 15:38:34

Without wishing to reveal the full extent of my familiarity with this subject, I can report that I have dropped a guard-less bike on my ankle. Most unpleasant. Just after getting my used S40, which came with OEM guards and soft saddlebags, I inadvertantly repeated the above mishap. Broke left rear turn signal stem (ah, duct tape!), NO other damage to bike or yours truly, ankle not trapped. Both of these happened at very low speed, but I gather such embarrassing flops are not uncommon.

White '07, OEM wind screen, 1" seat lift, re-shaped OEM seat, seat beads, TKat, Dyna muffler (Serowbot), Raptor petcock, seat pins (Verslagen1), Big Crank.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 12/06/11 at 16:41:54

Epoxy doesn't do a bad job gluing those turn signal stems back together as long as you picked up all the pieces.  I used the 2000 psi stuff and it is holding just fine.  I have a new one but it was easier to glue the old one back into place.

The suggestion about making the folding pegs stationary might save some feet and ankles.  I don't typically lean mine over in the turns far enough to drag the pegs so fixed pegs would be fine with me.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 12/06/11 at 18:08:15

Ive had mine over so far I almost trapped my foot between the peg & engine. Pulled it out & held the line thru the turn, done that a few times.. & I still remember how I jumped the first several times I heard it touch,, scared me pretty bad at first. I wouldnt want solid pegs at all.
What if it got on you & they didnt fold?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #11 - 12/06/11 at 18:45:05

royblueboy wrote on 12/04/11 at 19:11:33:
I am looking for opinions on these, after I broke my ankle my wife thinks I need one. would they really help when the bike lays over?      thanks in advance for responding.

Some on here are afraid the petcock will cause a fire after a wreck. What if your leg is trapped by a folded over crash bar and your bike catches fire? I would say to just not wreck at all. Failing that, wear some good gear, ride safe and hope your next wreck qualifies for one of the "It's A Miracle" stories on the local news.

Seriously, you just have to do the best you can at being a safe rider. I was on  freshly recoated asphalt in a parking lot and nearly fell at about three mph from dry leaves under the front tire. It could have ended in anything from funny to tragic, or, as it did, in nothing but a new respect for that situation. I just remembered. You are the 70+ year old guy? I rode this fall with a friend who is 82. He saw all the states west of the Mississippi from Hondas AFTER he retired from sales at Sears. He and his brother-in-law stayed gone 13,000 miles one trip. His wife now wants me to ride with him. Maybe your wife would feel better if you had a riding partner? Us married guys should really thank our wives for letting us on these machines.   Hang in there. You'll be riding again soon. You're just a spring chicken.  Wink

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 12/06/11 at 18:52:08

I was reading a mc mag recently and a letter writing fight broke out from some lawyers who said people had been sued for sending a sliding piece of 500 lb metal into bystanders when it was said they should have stayed with the bike. Whatcha' gonna' do?  Undecided

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
royblueboy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 12/06/11 at 19:22:00

I got out of my cast last wend, doc says 6 months to completly heal. The older you get the slower you heal. Still thinking about crash bars, they are expensive.

2005 650 pearl,memphis windshield.vic 100 muffler
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #14 - 12/06/11 at 20:46:55

The Suzuki OE bars are a little less than $100. With food and gas taking a lot of my family budget I'm glad I bought them two years ago. However, they are only 1" bars. Hope you heal right up.  Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:27:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › roll bars or crash bars

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.