Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
"my" Problems with Ryca Build (Read 320 times)
Stevere
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

"my" Problems with Ryca Build
09/28/11 at 11:18:53

I figured I should share my Ryca build experience for those who are thinking about doing it.

1st, let me say I love the way the Ryca bike looks.  Saw it in a magazine and decided that would be a great project for 2011.

I've built/rebuilt maybe 25 bikes, maybe more.  Kind of lost track.  So I have a decent idea of what goes on.

There were 3 big things though that really were frustrating (and I will admit, maybe I Just missed something):

1. Documentation: The instructions are not what I expect.  I realize it says the printed docs were expected to work with videos, but I do not usually wrench on a bike with a movie playing.

I expected documentation that was more "complete" and flowed well, like a manual, from start to finish.  I did not expect the documentation to be in 6 different PDF files, and then not be complete and you had to look at videos for areas not in the docs.  Further the pictures are pretty small - I like big bold pictures, not 3"x3" pics, but maybe 1/2 the page so it is real clear what you are looking at.

2. Rear Break -  It does not seem adjustable like the OE version, and i found it nearly impossible to work correctly.  Because there was not stop for the break pedal, if you tried to adjust the rear break, the break pedal just swings towards the rear. I ended up building a STOP for the break pedal, and finally gave up on the entire "shaft" idea Ryca had, and had a custom cable built.  I like the look better, it is way more flexable and it works - stopping is a big dealSmiley

3. Decompression Linkage - The bike has you remove all the items related to the decompression.  But just like the rear break problem the decompression linkage was a huge pain.  It did not really align up, and frankly I found it really frustrating that I was removing the automatic and "do not think about it" solution Suzuki built for this manual not so great looking solution.

I finally gave up on the linkage idea, and ended up reinstalling the automatic decompression system.  This system works great, and Suzuki clearly put a lot of effort in building it.  It engages the decompression when you start the motor, then disengages after .7 seconds once the sucker is running.  

I further put the coil back to its original location - which worked out great - it was real tight in the Ryca location and I did not like it there.

The only major issue because of this is I ended up welding the  tank holding brackets back onto the bike.  You can't get the tank that low and still have the decompression system working.  But this was ok, because the tank is only a bit higher and there is now room to put the wiring and stuff.

Having done #3 + the tank I also decided the engine covers were not so bad looking and did a good job of hiding some of the stuff there.  So I plan to put them back on - but probably paint flat back.

License plate was a pain too.  The way Ryca had it done was to epoxy it to the rear of the seat.  But it just did not feel right, too flimsy in my opinion.  So the license plate got mounted to the top of the battery case.  Which worked out just fine.  Then I epoxied just the rear tail light to the rear seat pan.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: "my" Problems with Ryca Build
Reply #1 - 09/28/11 at 11:39:57

how does she ride??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Stevere
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/28/11 at 11:44:23

I am still working on it, plan to fire it up this weekend..

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #3 - 09/28/11 at 12:13:38

How about the $3k it costs!?  That's my main problem with it.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Stevere
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/28/11 at 12:30:47

I spent 2500 because I will do my own paint job - when it is ready.  The kit does include a lot of stuff for that amount.  Granted, the bike was only $2000, so in some respects that is expensive.

However, you are paying for custom designed parts that you would be hard-pressed to find on your own, and revisions to your tank and rear tire.

I bet they could come up with a nice solution that was way less expensive and eliminate the problems I had.

1. Keep the tank in current location  - ie no modifications to the tank at all - if you want to change the color, you do it.
2. Keep the decompression and coil in the same location. - this eliminates the decompression pedal and junky shafts they provide.
3. Use a simple rear break cable instead of all the stainless steel shafts they used.

That brings it down to lowering the front, raising the rear via new shocks, new rear tire, handlebars, instrument cluster, the rear light, new exhaust + jetting, new air box and moving the pedals.

I am not sure the savings, but i suspect it would be substantial - not only is the tank labor intensive cutting it, but it has to be tested and then shipped back to the customer.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #5 - 09/28/11 at 13:21:27

dont forget about the custom side covers, seat, seat pan, and rear fender

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #6 - 09/28/11 at 16:10:27

Sorry, but I don't understand the problem various people are having with the rear brake and the claims they need a stop for the pedal. So here's a video of my brake assembly. The bracket for the pedal isn't bolted on tightly at the moment, so there's some slop, but otherwise it works the way it should.

Clicking the photo will take you to the video.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
Stevere
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/28/11 at 16:43:19

I saw your video, but if you try to adjust it, the pedal just moves toward you.  

Further, my pedal is more level than bent way over, and there should not be 1/2 travel in the break.  Adjustments should allow it to be nearly no travel, just a slight tap should engage it.

I also found that due to the shafts they used, the break does not pull as smoothly as the cable does.

Anyway, the stop I built and the cable really work great.

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #8 - 09/28/11 at 17:19:47

The pedal angle is adjusted by the placement of the pin between the pedal and the brake tab. There are six holes on one of them and seven on the other, so the pedal angle can be pretty well fine tuned. It's seldom a case of moving the pin to the next hole. It's a matter of rotating the two pieces and then looking for the hole pair that comes closest. That might be several holes away. Once the pedal and tab are close to the right position, it can be really fine tuned by adjusting the rod ends.

You can loosely assemble the system without the pin in place, then move the lever to the angle you want and make an alignment mark on the lever and tab. Take everything apart and see which holes line up. Put the pin in and reassemble everything.

There's a long history of rear brakes actuated by a rod. Cables became necessary with forward controls. But if you rigged up a cable and stop that work for you, that's good.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/29/11 at 17:05:01

i guess I am with buddha on this one. I did not have any issues at all with the rear brakes.

As far as the tank- the cut-down tank totally makes the look of the ryca. Sure it would save lots of money to omit that part of the kit, but it wouldn't really look right either. The tank would sit way too high up and wouldn't transition into the low look of the front end and clip-ons. My decompression linkage involved a little fiddling around with to get it right, but it works fine. People that have seen my bike at bike night, etc think its a pretty cool feature of the bike. Sure the automatic one is easier, no arguments there.

Finally, to address your issue with the documentation- I think it did the trick just fine. Unlike you (and your 25 builds or whatever), this is my first bike build and it went just fine. Didn't have any major problems. The problems I did encounter were easily solved with a quick post here or an e-mail to Ryan or Casey. Took me about a month to build this, working a few hours here and there.  I suppose RYCA could have printed up a nice full-color installation book, but they would have had to pass on that extra cost to the customer, resulting in an even higher cost for the kit.

Long story short is that you are getting a custom bike at a decent price. If you wanted to have a custom bike shop build a one-off bike like this for you, I am sure the cost would be much, much more. RYCA did a great job at semi mass-producing a full custom bike that the average Joe can afford and build themselves with a little effort- kudos to them and i hope they prosper from it.

IP Logged
copterdoc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of North.
Reply #10 - 09/30/11 at 19:58:02

I totally agree with you. My build is 95% done and it has been pretty easy and enjoyable. a buddy of mine who is a painter laid down my paint today. (Kirker Hot Rod satin black) I should be wraping up the build in the next week or two. I am thinking of doing something  unique with the exhaust that may slow the process down a little, but i will get pics up soon.

2000 S40 RYCA conversion built in 2011.
  IP Logged
beacon

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 10/01/11 at 20:19:25

Yes, the Ryca kit is not a bolt-on-and-go proposition. At least for me:

The air cleaner is way too wide. I’d have to cut away some of the rear tank support bracket for it to fit. I’m not doing that, so I found a smaller filter.

Speedo cable is about 7” too long, so it makes a huge ungainly loop up forward. Had custom cable made.

Screws to hold the upholstered seat to the pan are too short to grip, had to use #8 ¾” instead. Suggested drill-size for holes was 5/32”, which was too small. Had to use 3/16”.

Decompression foot control is clever, but awkward. I left the decompression solenoid and coil in their stock positions, then cut out a few recesses in the tank’s bottom to make them fit.  I also had to design and weld on some support brackets to keep the tank low in front, as per the Ryca design.

Can’t get the rear brake switch and cable to work well. I’ve made a bracket and installed an aftermarket switch with a more direct linkage.

The rear brake linkage is clever and can be set up without a back stop at the right rearset. But a more conventional system gives better and more adjustments. I put in a stop, plus added longer threading and a spring to the rod.

The muffler support bracket stuck out past the rearset bolt. I had to make one with an “S” kink in it to reach.

Engine mounting bolts too short. I cut back the bosses as per the videos but it wasn’t enough. Need to cut about a ½” more for two of them.

Nub inside the sidestand bracket was not big enough to keep the stand away from the belt. Had to weld in some extra meat to make a proper spacer.

Belt guard hit the belt. Would need a ¾” + spacer up front to make it work. Made my own.

Engine-case bolt head rubbed against the drive belt because of the swing arm’s new angle. Had to countersink in a flat head bolt.  

I’ve seen some side covers where the holes for the rear shock supports are out of align. This has more to do with Suzuki’s poor workmanship and inconsistency on this bike than Ryca. For example large sloppy welds on the frame had to be ground down to allow the Ryca rearset bracket to fit in place.

To sum up: for some of us the Ryca kit is not a bolt-on-and-go project, mostly because of idiosyncrasies between bikes. If you’re thinking of doing this build be aware that you may have to do some tweaking and head scratching. Some bikes will go together easily, others will take work.

Stevere wrote on 09/28/11 at 11:18:53:
I figured I should share my Ryca build experience for those who are thinking about doing it.

1st, let me say I love the way the Ryca bike looks.  Saw it in a magazine and decided that would be a great project for 2011.

I've built/rebuilt maybe 25 bikes, maybe more.  Kind of lost track.  So I have a decent idea of what goes on.

There were 3 big things though that really were frustrating (and I will admit, maybe I Just missed something):

1. Documentation: The instructions are not what I expect.  I realize it says the printed docs were expected to work with videos, but I do not usually wrench on a bike with a movie playing.

I expected documentation that was more "complete" and flowed well, like a manual, from start to finish.  I did not expect the documentation to be in 6 different PDF files, and then not be complete and you had to look at videos for areas not in the docs.  Further the pictures are pretty small - I like big bold pictures, not 3"x3" pics, but maybe 1/2 the page so it is real clear what you are looking at.

2. Rear Break -  It does not seem adjustable like the OE version, and i found it nearly impossible to work correctly.  Because there was not stop for the break pedal, if you tried to adjust the rear break, the break pedal just swings towards the rear. I ended up building a STOP for the break pedal, and finally gave up on the entire "shaft" idea Ryca had, and had a custom cable built.  I like the look better, it is way more flexable and it works - stopping is a big dealSmiley

3. Decompression Linkage - The bike has you remove all the items related to the decompression.  But just like the rear break problem the decompression linkage was a huge pain.  It did not really align up, and frankly I found it really frustrating that I was removing the automatic and "do not think about it" solution Suzuki built for this manual not so great looking solution.

I finally gave up on the linkage idea, and ended up reinstalling the automatic decompression system.  This system works great, and Suzuki clearly put a lot of effort in building it.  It engages the decompression when you start the motor, then disengages after .7 seconds once the sucker is running.  

I further put the coil back to its original location - which worked out great - it was real tight in the Ryca location and I did not like it there.

The only major issue because of this is I ended up welding the  tank holding brackets back onto the bike.  You can't get the tank that low and still have the decompression system working.  But this was ok, because the tank is only a bit higher and there is now room to put the wiring and stuff.

Having done #3 + the tank I also decided the engine covers were not so bad looking and did a good job of hiding some of the stuff there.  So I plan to put them back on - but probably paint flat back.

License plate was a pain too.  The way Ryca had it done was to epoxy it to the rear of the seat.  But it just did not feel right, too flimsy in my opinion.  So the license plate got mounted to the top of the battery case.  Which worked out just fine.  Then I epoxied just the rear tail light to the rear seat pan.

IP Logged
phantom
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/04/11 at 05:37:34

Stevere & Beacon: You guys are real gentlemen. I am not quite so polite. Having said that, here is my input. I also love the RYCA concept. Taking into consideration the lack of research and development in this project I give them a "C minus" . I think I am more disgusted with myself for jumping in without proper research, I got "wowed" by the article and at my age I should know better. I have finished the task and I like what I have now. I agree with everything you both said. This is a building process that once you jump in there is no backing out without a sizeable loss.  In my observation of others building the RYCA, I have only seen one member of this forum make a statement about the rear wheel, that blows me away considering the magnitude of safety involved. The spokes not being straight is caused by improper spoke nipple seating, thus the nipple/seat contact is low and cannot maintain spoke tention. I repaired mine by welding a seat area and grinding a new seat allowing the spokes to pull straight with good nipple seating, yes, 36 of them!.  Other areas  of concern, exhaust spacer fellout of pipe because we cut the pipe to accept the pipe/muffler adapter and in doing so we removed the portion with the spot welds securing it. I reinstalled the spacer and weld it in place. Kickstand: support plate bending I replaced it with 3/16 plate and welded it to the stand mount. Tail light adhesive did not hold. I installed screws. Speedo cable: too long. I routed it from the right side of the Eng. around the left side and between the forks and reconnected to the speedo. Decompression sol.: I too, utilized the unit but relocated it behind the starter I did not have the guts to modify the tank further. Side cover retainers: I made a cross over bar attaching it to the bottom of the battery box where the lower thumb screws attached. Installed nut plates on both sides and drilled the side covers for screws. Belt guard: belt draging on guard I also added a spacer and cleared the belt. Airfilter: I had to grind over 1/4" off the chrome face to get a fair fit. Caution! make darn sure your Carb. is properly seated in the intake manifold or you might have an air leak, not good. Rear break: I did not have a problem here however I though it was a make shift solution. Several of us on the forum were explaning how it worked, then RYCA made a video after they caught on. The brake light switch is another poor example of engineering. I moved the switch and attached it to the brake rod via the spring. On the personal preference side the seat does not have enough cushion for this old rump. I replaced the seat with a nice 2 in. unit from Custom Cafe Seats. I also installed a piece of metal along the backside to protect the area infront of the rear wheel, a fender if you like and covered the underside of the rear adjacent to the tail light, boxed it in. I was able to hear the belt guard and pipe problems because I installed a Harley dyna muffler. These are a few things I did to recover as stated earlier from my lack of research. In closing, I will say that RYCA has worked with me as I requested. Maybe they will consider our comments.   PS :  Ryca has not shown my build on their site and I don't think they will.    Phantom

IP Logged
wombat

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/06/11 at 18:48:16

Phantom,
Maybe I'm not understanding this. But did you say that you relocated the decompression solenoid behind the starter? How did you manage to run such a long circuitious cable to the little decompression lever on the engines top left corner?
Wombat

phantom wrote on 10/04/11 at 05:37:34:
Stevere & Beacon: You guys are real gentlemen. I am not quite so polite. Having said that, here is my input. I also love the RYCA concept. Taking into consideration the lack of research and development in this project I give them a "C minus" . I think I am more disgusted with myself for jumping in without proper research, I got "wowed" by the article and at my age I should know better. I have finished the task and I like what I have now. I agree with everything you both said. This is a building process that once you jump in there is no backing out without a sizeable loss.  In my observation of others building the RYCA, I have only seen one member of this forum make a statement about the rear wheel, that blows me away considering the magnitude of safety involved. The spokes not being straight is caused by improper spoke nipple seating, thus the nipple/seat contact is low and cannot maintain spoke tention. I repaired mine by welding a seat area and grinding a new seat allowing the spokes to pull straight with good nipple seating, yes, 36 of them!.  Other areas  of concern, exhaust spacer fellout of pipe because we cut the pipe to accept the pipe/muffler adapter and in doing so we removed the portion with the spot welds securing it. I reinstalled the spacer and weld it in place. Kickstand: support plate bending I replaced it with 3/16 plate and welded it to the stand mount. Tail light adhesive did not hold. I installed screws. Speedo cable: too long. I routed it from the right side of the Eng. around the left side and between the forks and reconnected to the speedo. Decompression sol.: I too, utilized the unit but relocated it behind the starter I did not have the guts to modify the tank further. Side cover retainers: I made a cross over bar attaching it to the bottom of the battery box where the lower thumb screws attached. Installed nut plates on both sides and drilled the side covers for screws. Belt guard: belt draging on guard I also added a spacer and cleared the belt. Airfilter: I had to grind over 1/4" off the chrome face to get a fair fit. Caution! make darn sure your Carb. is properly seated in the intake manifold or you might have an air leak, not good. Rear break: I did not have a problem here however I though it was a make shift solution. Several of us on the forum were explaning how it worked, then RYCA made a video after they caught on. The brake light switch is another poor example of engineering. I moved the switch and attached it to the brake rod via the spring. On the personal preference side the seat does not have enough cushion for this old rump. I replaced the seat with a nice 2 in. unit from Custom Cafe Seats. I also installed a piece of metal along the backside to protect the area infront of the rear wheel, a fender if you like and covered the underside of the rear adjacent to the tail light, boxed it in. I was able to hear the belt guard and pipe problems because I installed a Harley dyna muffler. These are a few things I did to recover as stated earlier from my lack of research. In closing, I will say that RYCA has worked with me as I requested. Maybe they will consider our comments.   PS :  Ryca has not shown my build on their site and I don't think they will.    Phantom  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 21:18:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › "my" Problems with Ryca Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.