Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rear Brake Fix & Jetting for Dyna Muffler (Read 329 times)
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Rear Brake Fix & Jetting for Dyna Muffler
09/28/11 at 10:24:39

I'm planning on replacing my muffler with a dyna, I'm not sure what the after market is that the PO has on there, but what am I going to need as far as jets go? Where should I be looking to see what the current jets are?

I need to replace my rear brakes, approximately how long should that take me. Have to get the parts still but I'm trying to plan the time. Also, where is the best place to get new brakes?

Thanks folks.

« Last Edit: 09/29/11 at 12:44:32 by greenmonster »  
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Couple of questions
Reply #1 - 09/28/11 at 12:12:57

See here... Harley muffler guide...

Jets are stamped with the size... They're in the float bowl... you'll have to pull them and look...

Rear brakes,... how'd you ever wear those out?...
Should take about an hour... two if it's your first time pulling the rear wheel...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/28/11 at 17:51:16

I seriously doubt the rear brakes are worn out,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 09/28/11 at 18:54:48

+1 on rear brakes not being worn out ...

Drill here for the first 15-20 years is to clean the dust out each time you take the wheel off, rough up the steel brake drum surface some with coarse sandpaper and put the brake drum assembly back in for another year or three  ....

What makes you think your rear brakes are worn out?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #4 - 09/29/11 at 07:46:18

I'm no longer able to lock them up. I need to throw some new rubber on there as well so the wheel has to come off either way, I figured while it was apart I'd take a look at them. It is an 86 and I highly doubt that the PO's ever did anything with the brakes.

Is the best place to get new jets still from Lancer? I haven't seen him posting in the Rubber Side Down lately and I don't spend time in anything other than the Tech section.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 09/29/11 at 07:49:42

A build up of brake dust results in not being able to lock the brakes up.

Lancer is out of pocket at this time, taking care of his aging mother.  

You can buy jets on line lots of places, just be able to give them the jet numbers you want to buy.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #6 - 09/29/11 at 08:16:09

How many sizes am I likely to be needing if I change the muffler to a Dyna (seems the thoughts on that run around a 150) and change to a cone air filter? (the filter box is just begging for extra tools to be stored in it.)

I'd be very happy if all I need to do is clean the brakes rather than replace them.

Can I get the jets out by only pulling the float bowl or do I need to take the carb right out?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: Rear Brake Fix & Jetting for Dyna Muffler
Reply #7 - 09/29/11 at 13:46:13

greenmonster wrote on 09/28/11 at 10:24:39:
I'm planning on replacing my muffler with a dyna, I'm not sure what the after market is that the PO has on there, but what am I going to need as far as jets go? Where should I be looking to see what the current jets are?

I need to replace my rear brakes, approximately how long should that take me. Have to get the parts still but I'm trying to plan the time. Also, where is the best place to get new brakes?

Thanks folks.

greenmonster wrote on 09/29/11 at 08:16:09:
How many sizes am I likely to be needing if I change the muffler to a Dyna (seems the thoughts on that run around a 150) and change to a cone air filter? (the filter box is just begging for extra tools to be stored in it.)

I'd be very happy if all I need to do is clean the brakes rather than replace them.

Can I get the jets out by only pulling the float bowl or do I need to take the carb right out?

Like you mentioned, use the suggestions here for jet sizes.  If it isn’t too far to the bike shop, take a stab at it with one jet.  Otherwise, bracket your best guess with two more jets, one larger and one smaller than your best guess.  Jets are cheap, anyway.

You can work the jets without taking the carb off,… if you are a skilled wrench, AND you are familiar with this particular set up.  I’ll betcha Lancer could swap out the main jet in 8 minutes in a dark room with one hand tied to an ankle.  For most of us, especially the first time, I would recommend taking the carb off, cleaning it well, and doing the work on a clean towel on a bench, or kitchen counter or some such.

I agree with the others about the brakes,.. unless something strange has been going on, the rear brake is probably not worn out.  Like you said, since you are taking the rear wheel off anyway, just clean it out.  I also like the Oldfeller’s sandpaper idea,… but I would rather use no coarser than about 100 grit, and I’d do both the drum and the shoe surfaces.  The idea is just to remove any glaze, dull the surface, and remove very little material, if any.

While you have it apart, make sure the cam that spreads the shoes has a little bit of lube on it.

« Last Edit: 09/30/11 at 06:56:19 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 09/29/11 at 14:00:31

Regarding the rear shoes, I did something I completely forgot.  I put a groove at about a 45° angle in the center of the brake material to help clear out the dirt.  Last time I had it open, there was still dirt, but I don't think as much.  At least blowing it out didn't create a blackout cloud.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #9 - 10/01/11 at 03:10:23

greenmonster wrote on 09/29/11 at 08:16:09:
How many sizes am I likely to be needing if I change the muffler to a Dyna (seems the thoughts on that run around a 150) and change to a cone air filter?

I was running a #150 main (Serowbot's suggestion) and everything else stock (except my K&N-137 air filter) with a Dyna muffler and everything was running pretty good...

IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #10 - 10/03/11 at 10:30:14

turns out that my rear brake line is shot. Guess that my brakes aren't the problem, nor is dust. Any suggestions for the best price on a new rear brake cable?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 10/03/11 at 13:36:08

Shot or needs lubrication?

Shot to me would mean 2 pieces or stretching with every stroke.

WWW   IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #12 - 10/03/11 at 13:41:45

Stretching with every stroke is the impression that I got from the mechanic that I have doing my front fork seals. I'll be picking the bike up later this week so I'll have details then.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 10/03/11 at 14:49:57

You can decide if its stretching,, no one needs to do that for you,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
greenmonster

Hellooooo Nurse!

Vancouver BC
Reply #14 - 10/03/11 at 15:54:13

Which is why I told him not to replace it but to simply mount the new rubber the way I had asked him to and that I'd take care of the brake myself.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 21:44:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Brake Fix & Jetting for Dyna Muffler

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.