Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine Cooling Fins Question (Read 114 times)
RandyRP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine Cooling Fins Question
10/14/11 at 07:47:18

Hello

I am interested in buying my first bike. ( I still need to choose a riding class, as well) and the Savage seems like a good choice, but maybe not as I am 6'2, but do have short legs for my height (32 inch inseam).

In any event, in noticing pictures of various bikes, in some the cooling fins appear rounder than in others. I realize that in some photos of some bikes, the cover is of of the top of the head, and the may be the difference, but I am wondering if the design also changed over time.

Thank you

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Engine Cooling Fins Question
Reply #1 - 10/14/11 at 08:15:26

Maybe an optical illusion, no change in design that I know of.

There is a chrome head cover that many opt to remove.

BRC, basic or beginner rider course, offered in many states.
graduating from the course gives a license to ride and may qualify for an insurance discount.

http://msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?spl=2&action=display&pagename=RiderCourse%20...

WWW   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #2 - 10/14/11 at 08:24:48

Bottom of the jug is black in later years, may cause the optical delusion... I mean illusion.   Wink

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
RandyRP
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/14/11 at 09:50:13

Thanks for the tip of the BRC.

I think the paint  and covers make the engine look different.

Are there any disadvantages to removing the covers? I plan on bobbing the bike, or going with a vodoo vintage hardtail at some point and think the coverless motor looks more old school.

Also for the shorter term, are there any single seats that bolt into the stock frame. I don't mean a seat with springs, but just a seat for one person. If I can find that, I might use it and then go with the hardtail.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 10/14/11 at 10:22:00

RandyRP wrote on 10/14/11 at 09:50:13:
Thanks for the tip of the BRC.

I think the paint  and covers make the engine look different.

Are there any disadvantages to removing the covers? I plan on bobbing the bike, or going with a vodoo vintage hardtail at some point and think the coverless motor looks more old school.

Also for the shorter term, are there any single seats that bolt into the stock frame. I don't mean a seat with springs, but just a seat for one person. If I can find that, I might use it and then go with the hardtail.

Pre-2005 models had a 2-piece seat.  Alot of folks just remove the passenger pillion.  If you get post-2005 model, you can buy a single seat from an older model and it will fit.  Plenty of people have modified the foam inside also.  I'm sure there are aftermarket seats too, but most of those used here have springs.  Can't remember any bolt-on ones that aren't spring mounted.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 10/14/11 at 10:27:35

The older Savages have a single seat and a seperate passenger seat. There are aftermarket options though. Not sure exactly what, as I have never researched it, but I have seen it mentioned here.
I, too, am 6'1", with a 32" inseam. With a set of either Routy's or Ed L's forward controls, fitment becomes much better and more comfortable. I no longer feel "too big" for the bike. And there's plenty of power there to haul my big a$$ around. (245 lbs.)

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:11:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine Cooling Fins Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.