Send Topic Print
Backfire question (Read 238 times)
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Re: Backfire question
Reply #15 - 09/28/11 at 07:25:19

I've not had any multiple pops on decel. But when downshifting from 5th to 4th, 4th to 3rd, and sometimes 3rd to 2nd I have more frequently been having one loud backfire.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #16 - 09/28/11 at 07:31:52

Here's something I'm just throwing out there for you to check, take a tissue or something really light and soft and hold it around your header pipe where it connects to the engine and see if you have any air leaks in your gasket seal... I've been told that it could cause backfiring and that's easy enough to check... I in no way, shape, or form know from experience, nor am I a mechanic.  Smiley

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #17 - 09/28/11 at 07:55:23

I was blasting to work the other day and moving at a pretty good clip for a surface road. I cut the throttle at an underpass and it fired off POW, POW, POW, POW,POW,POW
I just cracked up... Grin

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #18 - 09/28/11 at 08:07:28

Built2Last wrote on 09/28/11 at 07:31:52:
Here's something I'm just throwing out there for you to check, take a tissue or something really light and soft and hold it around your header pipe where it connects to the engine and see if you have any air leaks in your gasket seal... I've been told that it could cause backfiring and that's easy enough to check... I in no way, shape, or form know from experience, nor am I a mechanic.  Smiley

I went out there with a candle the other day and it blew it right out. My header bolts were a bit loose. I tightened em down. Backfiring didn't get any better. I bought a new gasket though. Was waiting to put that on when I replace my stock muffler with a Dyna I have sitting around.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #19 - 09/28/11 at 08:18:34

What muffler/setup do you have right now?

IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #20 - 09/28/11 at 08:29:11

Bone stock. The only change to my bike has been my Raptor when the stocker was failing on me.

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #21 - 09/28/11 at 08:49:59

In my newbie opinion, the Dyna muffler is just a cheap replacement for the stock muffler, but some people love them and get them sounding really good... go ahead and hold that candle up to the header gasket seal again to check for a leak, go all the way around the circle, then check every other connection on the muffler, and make sure your idle screw is set right... if your stock muffler is in good condition I'd just change the header pipe gasket seal, or get a Supertrapp, change the header gasket seal, and rejet... and I'm just speculating from my own Dyna experience... I don't know too much about bikes but I know I had my idle screw setting messed up once and I was backfiring so much I thought someone was gonna call the cops...  Cheesy

But remember I'm new to this stuff...

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #22 - 09/28/11 at 08:54:16

Those pops are alot more entertaining with a straight pipe.  Roll Eyes

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #23 - 09/28/11 at 08:55:42

MrBrownTX wrote on 09/28/11 at 08:54:16:
Those pops are alot more entertaining with a straight pipe.  Roll Eyes

I love the decel pops, I'm having a straight pipe being put on (I have no shop)... I can't friggin wait.  Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:20:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfire question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.