Send Topic Print
Uh oh ~_~ (Read 658 times)
bigdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Uh oh ~_~
09/21/11 at 22:35:58

So I've been posting about my 99 savage a while now trying to diagnose it s problem. Bike started off fone when I bought it earlier this yr. It has under 6k miles. Bike started back firing after a month of having it. It wasn't loud but sounded like a fart. Puff. Then it got louder. I never did trips over 10 miles & it was mostly 15-35 mph speeds & then after I hot use to the bike I did 40-50 mph trips. I did this because this was my first real bike on the road so I was learning. Well when I finally took it on the highway I got 10 miles away of doing 46-55 mph, may have been in 2nd or 3rd, & the bike backfired or at least made a huge pop, lost all power. Bike completely shut off so I was stranded on the side of the road for an hr. Got a local craigslist mechanic to pick it ip & agreed towork on it. He said he had it running fine, did an oil change & that the battery was shot & so was the power regulator/thing under the back seat. So I rosebud home & got a new battery, charged it & had it running for a couple days & then it died on me. I tried restarting it but no connection.  Everyone said to clean the carb. I took it off & no gumming,at least from what I saw. But it's still not starting. I accidentally let go of the throttle while trying to start it & for some reason it started. But haven't had it running since. When I try starting it it sounds like it's trying to start but like it's not catching the spark to connect. It kind of sounds like the muffler is under water. I'm lost & really needing/wanting to ride as it's been 1.5 months. I've resorted to riding the wifes moped just to get that partial feeling. Lol. Fo any help would be appreciated.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Uh oh ~_~
Reply #1 - 09/21/11 at 23:09:09

when did it backfire (afterfire I hope) ?
Shutoff? shifting?

starting wierd, most will say it won't start if you twist the throttle.
Sounds like the pilot jet is way too rich.

what jets do you have?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 09/21/11 at 23:22:10

Started small,, kept getting worse,, check for leaks on exhaust,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bigdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/22/11 at 00:07:15

I just went over a small hill didn't do anything different & 30-40yds later pop,like a rifle, then bike immediately shut itself off while doing 55mph. I don't know anything about jets except that their in the carb & should be free of grime. The bike did start smelling really hot too. & around the inside of the pipe where it connects to the motor us about a inch long spot of rust. & the bike usually only backfired after it was shut off. I thought it nay have been because I stupidly put 87 in the tank & not the good stuff. & doesn't the throttle need to be engaged to start? As well as the clutch?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 09/22/11 at 04:54:20

bigdave wrote on 09/22/11 at 00:07:15:
..... I thought it nay have been because I stupidly put 87 in the tank & not the good stuff. & doesn't the throttle need to be engaged to start? As well as the clutch?

What's wrong with 87?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 09/22/11 at 06:38:38

It's gonna be a pain to remove unless you've done it before but pull the plug and ground it against the engine fins...see if you're getting a spark when you hit the ignition.
If you are then I'd check the carb again make sure your vac line didn't come off. If you don't get a spark go from there...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/22/11 at 07:56:59

You were cruising for 5 or 10 miles at 46 to 55mph,... in 2nd or 3rd gear?...
That's revving pretty high... for cruising...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #7 - 09/22/11 at 08:12:30

Is it possible the tensioner/adjuster went kablooey? Only 6ooo miles on bike but you never know.....

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #8 - 09/22/11 at 11:05:55

Also you said you accidentally let the throttle go when trying to start and it did start. Sounds like you are flooding it, I never give my bike gas when trying to start it, it should start idle on its own. Seems your bike may be running hot and way too lean, starving for fuel...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 09/22/11 at 11:47:55

Partially plugged jet?
If I give mine gas when starting,, its flooded,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #10 - 09/22/11 at 12:57:54

bigdave wrote on 09/22/11 at 00:07:15:
I thought it nay have been because I stupidly put 87 in the tank & not the good stuff. & doesn't the throttle need to be engaged to start? As well as the clutch?

87 is the good stuff for these bikes. No need to go higher. Ethanol, however, is a whole other discussion, but we here in the US of A don't have much choice about that now.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/22/11 at 13:22:17

No gas,, hit the choke & hit the starter,,

IP Logged
bigdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/22/11 at 20:18:56

When I've looked at 87 next to 93 in a glass bottle you can tell 87 is awfully dirty. Most of the guys at the biker pub say they use the 93. & the only reason I had the throttle twisted was because it wasnt starting so I tried giving it gas. & the 55 mph in 2nd or 3rd was in case I did because I didn't remember how many times I down shifted after the bike "popped" & lost power as it freaked me out. I've got a spark plug on the way just as a tune up so maybe that will help if it's the problem. I still would like any input on why the bike would have shut down like that. & would a blown headgasket make it not start?

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #13 - 09/23/11 at 05:14:13

A bike should start with a blown head gasket, but it will smoke, leak oil, lack of compression...

IP Logged
bigdave
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/23/11 at 05:50:10

Ok. It does leak oil around the seal now. No smoke though. Are the heads easy to remove to replace the seal? Could the I of had so much compression that the seal broke & that's what the pop was & caused the bike to shut off?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 16:21:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Uh oh ~_~

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.