Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Carb to Engine distance. (Read 561 times)
Jockesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carb to Engine distance.
09/26/11 at 08:20:14

How far from the engine can you place the carb?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Carb to Engine distance.
Reply #1 - 09/26/11 at 08:31:53

The downside to long intake distances is you have a response lag to a throttle change and you have a nice long 15:1 gas/air filled chamber that will explode quite nicely on the eventual backfire event (a minor intake valve leakage igniting the long chamber full of perfect gas air mixture).

Tell us how it all works out for you ....  BTW, dragster people who put their blowers after their carbs can tell you all about them narsty 15:1 mixture filled chamber explosions.    

Hey you could go ask Shirley Muldowney ....  she'll tell you.

Shocked

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #2 - 09/26/11 at 08:45:13

I would imagine choke would also be a problem.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/26/11 at 09:23:35

A few have side mounted their carbs (harley style)
search REX for one, but there are a few in the gallery.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 09/26/11 at 10:03:13

It can be placed just about as far away as you want.  On some aircraft installations, the carb is feet away from the furthest cylinders.

On a motorcycle, you can't get it far enough away to make much difference.  The mixture is traveling something like 50mph or so,.. around 70ft/sec.  If the carb were 1 foot away from the intake valve, it would take 1/70th of second for the mixture to travel that distance.

The main differences from moving the carb away from the cylinder head would be thermal (the carb and manifold would stay colder), and intake tube resonance (longer tubes tune for lower rpm).  This resonance can result in better torque/hp at lower rpm, but it is pretty hard to get the carb far enough away from the head to take advantage of this tuning concept.  On the Savage, Suzuki just ignored it, placing the carb right on the head.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/26/11 at 10:45:37

From what little Ive read, what I got out of it is this, The volume between carb & air filter needs to be equal to or larger than the cylinder volume. BIgger is better,,
anyone want to correct that?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jockesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/26/11 at 12:09:57

Gyrobob wrote on 09/26/11 at 10:03:13:
It can be placed just about as far away as you want.  On some aircraft installations, the carb is feet away from the furthest cylinders.

On a motorcycle, you can't get it far enough away to make much difference.  The mixture is traveling something like 50mph or so,.. around 70ft/sec.  If the carb were 1 foot away from the intake valve, it would take 1/70th of second for the mixture to travel that distance.

The main differences from moving the carb away from the cylinder head would be thermal (the carb and manifold would stay colder), and intake tube resonance (longer tubes tune for lower rpm).  This resonance can result in better torque/hp at lower rpm, but it is pretty hard to get the carb far enough away from the head to take advantage of this tuning concept.  On the Savage, Suzuki just ignored it, placing the carb right on the head.

So on a motorcyle you woldent feel any differens in throttle respons unless you something other than human...

The backfire issue... how comon is that? I never heard about a exploding intake on a harley for example. And if there was a risk of backfiering the would be someone that experienced at least a small *poof-explosion* on there stock savage intake.  Anyone??
If there were a risk of backfire in to the intake the must be some kind of release valve to place on the intake to save your "diamonds" in case of explosion right?

Would it work if I moved the carb down? And made an "S" shaped intake?

Oldfeller here .... please remember that Gyrobob is a helecopter/airplane person in a lot of his examples, and they get ramped up and down very gently and tend to be run at a constant speed.   Our single cylinder bikes don't do that.

Our intake and exhaust streams totally start and stop their motion at the valves of the one cylinder, else where residual momentum keeps the air moving, moving relatively more steadily the further you get away from the valves themselves.

Bob's mental picture is of a multi-cylinder aircraft engine with a single carb set up on a manifold system, which is pretty common on small aircraft engines for maximum fuel efficency, ease of leaning/richening, reliability and ease of maintenance.

Next, an intake valve backflashes (backfires) whenever it does not close completely.  Two ways to do that on our single cylinder bike.
1) a piece of carbon or trash on the intake seat -- pretty rare -- and
2) over revving and floating your valves -- this one depends on your wrist really.   It happens to my bike pretty frequently.

Intake leakage (backfire potential) does eventually happen to all of us, I think you will just notice it a lot more than say mebbe I would.  

(  Undecided  especially if that carb was maybe mounted sideways and happened to be aimed at your leg or your balls  Shocked )

« Last Edit: 09/26/11 at 18:36:52 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 09/26/11 at 12:35:19

I just got a big WHY on this...  

...much like the right-side kickstand...  Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Jockesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/26/11 at 12:38:10

Serowbot wrote on 09/26/11 at 12:35:19:

You are looking at it the wrong way. It's "why not?" Cheesy

And for a more specific reason, to make space in the frame and get the look I want.

IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #9 - 09/26/11 at 13:03:22

I run a 45 degree right now that is 3-5 inches away from the stock location it works well. Can be a lot better.

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 09/26/11 at 13:56:01

Jockesavage wrote on 09/26/11 at 12:38:10:
Serowbot wrote on 09/26/11 at 12:35:19:

You are looking at it the wrong way. It's "why not?" Cheesy

And for a more specific reason, to make space in the frame and get the look I want.

I like that open space look in the area behind the engine.  The Savage frame is not optimal for that look because of the angled-down side frame members.  The Norton featherbed frame is great for this open look.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Jockesavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/26/11 at 14:10:39

kevinphan wrote on 09/26/11 at 13:03:22:
I run a 45 degree right now that is 3-5 inches away from the stock location it works well. Can be a lot better.

Cool. Any pictures?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 09/26/11 at 15:36:03

Can you find one where the carbs ain't back there?... Huh...
Here's a featherbed....

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
kevinphan

Dracut, Massachusetts
Reply #13 - 09/26/11 at 15:45:20

I'll try and snap some pics but my bike just caught on fire shortly after I posted that post above. Darn bike heard me

WWW diverseclothing   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #14 - 09/26/11 at 15:55:42

If your carb is to far away it will catch on fire.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 01:53:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carb to Engine distance.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.