Send Topic Print
My Next Bike (Read 287 times)
goattw3lve
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

My Next Bike
09/20/11 at 19:58:43

Hello all- I recently lost my beautiful 2009 Z400sm to a low-life thief; and have been looking around at new bikes. I've come to the conclusion that I need something more highway friendly than the z400. I sat on an S40 in the showroom the other day, and found it quite comfortable. Totally different style of bike- but I'm ok with that. My question is- Since this is now my second bike- coming from the 400cc z400sm, will the 650 of the S40 at least match up to the 400 in pull/quickness? I've looked at the bigger models- but they're possibly bigger than what I'm looking for for city driving (the S40 is even narrower than my enduro was)- I know that 650>400, but the gearing must be different etc...  Also I'm 6'. Does that rule out the S40? It felt comfortable sitting there in the showroom- but I'm not sure what the leg position on this type of bike is supposed to feel like, really. Thanks for any opinions.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Re: My Next Bike
Reply #1 - 09/20/11 at 20:15:13

a 50cc bike will probably outrun the S-40 at first, being a big single means it makes lotsa torque for an easy ride but it ain't a bullett.  While it will go 75 mph without too much fuss, top end seems to be generally just short of  100mph and if you ride 2 up a lot, a bit less.  Some people find it ok for highwaying it but the small tank means stopping every 200 miles for a fill up.  It is a wonderful around town ride, a bit less so on the highway (which is true of most bikes).  6 footers fit and there exist extenders for the fron which allows you bigger fellows the ability to strech your legs out.  The upright seating  positions is easier on the arms, wrists and sholders than yur previous ride, but the smalll of the back can take a hit.  There are plenty of used ones around, so if the dealer isn't willing to let you test ride (for at least 1 hr)  try to get a used bike seller to let you (you know, leave hin the ferrarri with keys as collateral.)    Hope this blurb helps. Cheesy

IP Logged
goattw3lve
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/20/11 at 20:26:55

Thanks! Super helpful reply. I had done all sorts of modding to my z400 to make it more highway friendly- but it really just wasn't built for that. I'm thinking the S40, possibly with a windshield, might be just what I'm after. The dealership agreed to let me take it out for a spin so I think I'll do just that and consider the extended foot controls. So far as the range goes- I had to fill up the Z every 100 miles! And no fuel gauge or low-fuel light. 200 miles in a tank will suit me just fine as my longest usual ride is about 100. I don't really care that it's super quick off the line- but you make it sound like it'll do 75 on the highway ok, and that's fine for me. Again- Thanks- I was getting really frustrated until I thought 'There must be some kind of thumper-talk equivalent for the S40...'  Grin

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #3 - 09/20/11 at 20:40:36

Depending on how heavy a hand you have on the throttle the range is more like 130 miles then hit reserve for another 20 or so.
The S40 makes pleanty of low end torque and will take off just fine. Enough to burn about anything short of a supersport light to light. Its no slouch.
Top end is more along the lines of 80-90mph tops unless you dig into the engine.
Fit wise im 6ft and it fits me just fine though i would'nt mind some 4 inch foreward controls for longer rides.
Easy to ride, easy to mod easy to work on though there are'nt a lot of aftermarket parts. Lot of harley parts can be made to fit though.
A blast in the twisties, great around town and will hold its own on the highway though at 383lbs it is a lil light and a good cross wind will wake you up.
For commuteing and highway rideing it will satisfy you a LOT more then the 400 did.

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #4 - 09/21/11 at 05:34:56

Yeh, I think Trippah hit a "2" instead of a "1".  Most of us fill up around 100 miles.  Another common issue is the stock seat which usually requires your tush to stop around 100 miles too.  And I agree with Wolfman, plenty of take-off power!  

Let us know what you do!  Got a ton of people around here who know this bike inside and out, so if you get one, you found the primo place to be.  Hell, you can even stick around if you don't buy one!

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #5 - 09/21/11 at 06:14:26

Ya, I agree on the 120-130 mile range. I'm getting about 54 mpg and the tank is what, 2.2 or 2.5 gallons? Lots of mods can be done to make the bike better than stock, and there is a catalog of info on this site to help you out. And some very knowledgable folks to ask, whenever you're stumped. The forweard controls (there are several sets to choose from) make a world of difference. I am 6'1", and ride quite comfortably, now that I have installed a set. Also, when out on the highway, I have no trouble keeping up with the "big boys". Plenty of power. As mama mia used to say, "try it, you like it".  Check out the photo gallery, here on the site, and see some of the awesome things you can do with this bike.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #6 - 09/21/11 at 06:25:32

I guess the s40 and DRZ are about the same amount of "pull" it's just the character of it is very different.  The s40 is way less frenzied than a DRZ.  More pleasant IMO, but less "racy" while delivering about the same acceleration.  If you'd done the 3x3 mod and fitted a twin air, FCR carb and race pipe to your DRZ, forget it.. you are now spoiled and will have to do with less performance.

Stock acceleration may be on par, but handling, braking and ground clearance is a different story. You'll especially miss that big rotor that came with the 400sm.

The s40 seems to have taller gearing than the DRZ even after you go up a tooth on the countershaft sprocket.  The first time you take off, you'll think you accidentally put it in 2nd gear.

Neither bike is that great for long trips.  If you go with an s40, look into windshields.  That will lessen the feeling of "perpetual sit-up" at speed.

If you want 200 miles per fillup, get a DR650 and put a big ol' IMS tank on it.  Cheesy

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 09/21/11 at 06:35:23

At 200 range, I thought for a minute I mite have to put some leaner jets!

I'm not up on other bikes much, but if I wanted to continously ride at 75 mph, I would try some other bikes. My s-40 will do 85-90 just like all the rest, but it runs a lot better......easier and smoother at 65. And at this time in my life, 55 is even better yet. Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 09/21/11 at 07:44:54

I love my s40 but if I was in the market for more performance and hiway riding I'd consider a 650 Kawa versys or a Suzi SV650...especially at 6 foot tall.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
goattw3lve
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/21/11 at 07:54:33

Great info guys. Thanks a lot. This is definitely making the decision a lot easier. Something generally more smooth and somewhat more powerful is what I'm looking for coming from the z400sm- So I think if the test ride goes well I'll be an active member on your site shortly. In response to the comment about the braking capacity- I upgraded the z400sm brake lines to Hel SS braided lines which made a big difference- Is that something people do commonly with the S40? I don't need Ducati braking, but I definitely want to be able to stop confidently in a reasonable amount of time...   Another concern was that most of the videos/stories I found were about women riding this bike. Guess that's not the general case/it's just a bit of a smaller bike. Thanks again!

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #10 - 09/21/11 at 08:44:24

The S40 is my second bike and I LOVE it.  I would say it is as fast as my old ninja 250 but not faster.  It has more than enough power and style though.  No that I have straight piped my exhaust I love my bike even more.  It has a GREAT and enjoyable sound.  The only down size is the 48 mpg I get (I expected alot higher mpg but didn't really research that ahead of time) and the tiny gas tank.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #11 - 09/21/11 at 10:51:26

goattw3lve wrote on 09/21/11 at 07:54:33:
I upgraded the z400sm brake lines to Hel SS braided lines which made a big difference- Is that something people do commonly with the S40?

No, that is not a common thing to do on the Savage/S40.  I guess the sponginess of the brake is lost in the sponginess of the forks.  Grin  Nah It's not too bad.  A much more popular mod is to install a fork brace.. way better bang for the buck than a brake line would give you.  Of course, coming off the 400sm you'll probably notice a glaring contrast in both the fork stiffness and brake, so might want to do both the SS braided line and fork brace.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
goattw3lve
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/23/11 at 10:20:15

How about the tall windshield? Anyone have it installed on theirs? I imagine it makes a pretty big difference in windblast? Does the tall windshield direct the air entirely over you? Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #13 - 09/23/11 at 19:47:57

OOPS, my bad..yes 100 not 200 miles Embarrassed

I have a slipstreamer enterprise fairing on mine and the wind goes to the top of my helmet which is good; also directs the wind away from my hands keeping them happy.  There arre much better rides out there IF you like riding at3-5000 rpms kissing the sweetspot and keeping it on that narrow band by fairly constant shifting.

The LS650 is for that other style of riding where once you are rolling you quickly forget what gear you are in because it doesn't matter.  If it sounds like you are lugging the engine then shift down and get it going, if its winding out (ha ha) then shift up a gear..otherwise just siit back and enjoy the ride and the scenery.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #14 - 09/24/11 at 06:08:47

Boule’tard wrote on 09/21/11 at 10:51:26:
goattw3lve wrote on 09/21/11 at 07:54:33:
I upgraded the z400sm brake lines to Hel SS braided lines which made a big difference- Is that something people do commonly with the S40?

No, that is not a common thing to do on the Savage/S40.  I guess the sponginess of the brake is lost in the sponginess of the forks.  Grin  Nah It's not too bad.  A much more popular mod is to install a fork brace.. way better bang for the buck than a brake line would give you.  Of course, coming off the 400sm you'll probably notice a glaring contrast in both the fork stiffness and brake, so might want to do both the SS braided line and fork brace.

I just put a Hel ss brake line on mine and the "feel" is much better. Braking performance is a bit better. The fork brace makes a world of difference.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 11:08:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My Next Bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.