Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ultra Sonic carb cleaning? (Read 166 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Ultra Sonic carb cleaning?
09/23/11 at 07:22:43

Is ultra sonic carb cleaning needed with only around 7.500 miles on my bike? I know it's something that can never hurt, but it would hurt my wallet.

IP Logged
Morgii

Me fail English?
That’s unpossible.

Toronto, ON
Re: Ultra Sonic carb cleaning?
Reply #1 - 09/23/11 at 08:03:59

I'm not sure how much it is needed per se AND I'm not sure how much it would cost for someone to do this for you but if you happen to know anybody in physical sciences (chemistry, biology, etc), they have sonicators which can be used for F-R-E-E.

Cheers

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #2 - 09/23/11 at 08:08:34

It's about $100, and they'll have my carb apart anyway... but I don't have $100 just laying around to play with... only 7,500 miles on my bike.. so I'm wondering if it's worth it for me....

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 09/23/11 at 08:29:40

Built2Last wrote on 09/23/11 at 08:08:34:
It's about $100, and they'll have my carb apart anyway... but I don't have $100 just laying around to play with... only 7,500 miles on my bike.. so I'm wondering if it's worth it for me....

For less than that, you can BUY an ultrasonic machine.  Clean your carbs ultrasonically for the rest of your life for next to nothing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html  (on sale at the moment)

I have one of these.  I use it for everything from LS650 carbs to jewelry, to 9mm brass, to disassembled guns, to clock parts, to computer parts, to collector coins.  This particular model is cheap chinese stuff, but I probably have several hundred hours on it so far, and it still works.

If you get one, you'll be wanting to do a little internet research on what kinds of solutions to use for different situations.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #4 - 09/23/11 at 09:00:41

Thanks for the link!  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/23/11 at 09:26:01

It may make it less labor intensive, but you can clean a carb up just fine w/0 sonics.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 09/23/11 at 09:31:36

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/23/11 at 09:26:01:
It may make it less labor intensive, but you can clean a carb up just fine w/0 sonics.

Very true.  Good solvents and some compressed air, even the computer-duster-in-can air, will work fine.  It just makes me feel all tingly inside knowing those ultrasonic vibes got way down inside and vibrated every molecule off of every surface.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 09/23/11 at 09:33:59

Just use Sea Foam and you will get the vibration from the motor just by driving down the road.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #8 - 09/23/11 at 09:35:06

I already use Seafoam occasionally.. I think I'm gonna throw some in my crankcase next oil change Smiley

I gotta figure out how to get the Seafoam bottle clean so I can drink beer out of it...  Cheesy

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 09/23/11 at 09:41:01

bill67 wrote on 09/23/11 at 09:33:59:
Just use Sea Foam and you will get the vibration from the motor just by driving down the road.

Sea foam is a good solvent, alright.  Just like Berryman's chem tool, gunk carb/parts cleaner.  Just don't use MMO.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 09/23/11 at 09:51:23

I gotta figure out how to get the Seafoam bottle clean so I can drink beer out of it...

This would look like one of those things that would be in the
Not Recommended column..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #11 - 09/23/11 at 10:40:31

I'm kind of in the if it ain't broke, don't fix it camp.  Carburetors will work almost forever IF they are used regularly and IF there is nothing abnormal like a big slug of watery or dirty gasoline.

I think the biggest killer of motorcycles is not operating them enough.  If they sit around too long, with gas evaporating out of the carbs,  they get gunky.  Tanks can get rusty.  I know everyone can't do this, but my bikes have always gotten run regularly.  Even in winter, if there was a day over 40 degrees I would take it out.  Generally no more than 2 weeks between operation.  Also, my bikes are parked with the gas tank full.  I've never had to tear down a carb to clean it.

Built2last66, Is the carb working OK now?  You said the shop would have it apart.  Needs work or just a rejet or something simple?  If the bike is running OK now, other than just a tuning issue, I would skip the ultra-sonic cleaning.  Just get out there a ride the thing.

My son bought a 76 Kaw KZ400 a few months ago.  14k miles.  It sat for a few years.  then a new owner had for about 3 years and would only ride it about once a year.  Every year, he had to take it to the shop to get tuned up and the carbs cleaned up.  The carbs were a mess.  Dried out O-rings and rubber plugs, plugged jets.  We cleaned up the jet and pathways, new O-rings and checked the float levels.  We did not do a full carb teardown and soak.  It's running great now.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 09/23/11 at 10:44:02

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/23/11 at 09:51:23:
I gotta figure out how to get the Seafoam bottle clean so I can drink beer out of it...

Throw it in one of those ultra sonic thingys..... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #13 - 09/23/11 at 10:51:25

Maybe I'll just drink beer out of the ultra sonic thingy... at least I know its clean...

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #14 - 09/23/11 at 10:59:21

Gyrobob wrote on 09/23/11 at 09:31:36:
It just makes me feel all tingly inside knowing those ultrasonic vibes got way down inside and vibrated every molecule off of every surface.

When the box says "parts cleaner" they don't mean THOSE parts  Roll Eyes

Anyone tried PineSol to clean their carbs?  It supposedly works almost as well as gunk/gumout/specificCleaner but is a lot cheaper and less toxic.  I bet PineSol in an ultrasonic cleaner would really get it.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560117

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 04:28:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Ultra Sonic carb cleaning?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.