Send Topic Print
Key Code (Read 207 times)
tixin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Key Code
09/12/11 at 11:23:00

Bought my bike a few months back with only one key.  Yesterday I decided to go cut a couple spares, but when I got to the local locksmith after running a few errands, the key is no longer in my pocket!  Called a couple dealers this morning and they said VIN# is useless, the key code is needed.  They offered me two options, either call a mobile locksmith or replace the lock set (ignition, gas cap, helmet lock) for $250 ... parts only!  Did some internet search and found that the key code may be stamped on the back of the ignition switch.  Has anyone seen this before and can confirm?  I don't mind working on the bike, but am terribly nervous about breaking something while doing it.  Thanks.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Key Code
Reply #1 - 09/12/11 at 11:49:08

On the bottom of the ig switch is a little black panel.
Your key code should be stamped there.
At least I know it is up to an '02.

There are places that can make you a key over the internet, but understand you want it now.

Haven't confirmed this but, take the seat off, find the connector to the switch, pull it off, short all the wires together and it'll either blow up or start.   Grin  Just make sure there's no black wires and it should work.

Yeah, it would be that easy.

WWW   IP Logged
jspace
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/13/11 at 18:57:03

I searched ebay and found a locksmith that cut motorcycle keys by code.  took the number off the ignition switch.  cost me about 5 bucks.

IP Logged
tixin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/13/11 at 21:14:30

OK guys,  where exactly is this mysterious code?  I took the switch off the bike, take the plastic cover off the back and no code!  And of course, I stripped the two little screws, which seem to be dipped in lock-tite! ARRGGGG!!!  BTW, mine is an '07.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/13/11 at 21:26:47

WeLl i told only know up to 02.
and you don't need to remove it.  it's visible from the bottom.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 09/13/11 at 22:55:32

Seems a dealer should know where the code is..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
VOLKY
YaBB Newbies

2006 S-40 Boulevard

Florida
Reply #6 - 09/13/11 at 23:35:41

I lost the key for locking the steering on the bike. I have the code and went to the dealer. Dealer said I have to order the key and a new tumbler and replace the whole thing by a locksmith. The whole thing costs $40 plus the locksmith work. I thought with the code number Suzuki can cut a key. I guess I was wrong or the dealer wants to make a few bucks.

IP Logged
tixin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/14/11 at 07:08:33

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/13/11 at 22:55:32:
Seems a dealer should know where the code is..

Called the parts department at Coleman Powersports in Falls Church, and they told me the code is on the ignition.  Eventhough it is not there, I give them a plug anyway since the guy was very nice and helpful.  He even refers me to a locksmith.

IP Logged
tixin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/14/11 at 07:13:44

Just called locksmith.  It would be $150! OUCH !!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/14/11 at 08:01:25

VOLKY wrote on 09/13/11 at 23:35:41:
I lost the key for locking the steering on the bike. I have the code and went to the dealer. Dealer said I have to order the key and a new tumbler and replace the whole thing by a locksmith. The whole thing costs $40 plus the locksmith work. I thought with the code number Suzuki can cut a key. I guess I was wrong or the dealer wants to make a few bucks.

Unfortunately, there's no key code for the fork lock key.
At least mine didn't show one.

With some polite prying, you can get the tool box cover off.
Take the cam off the back (little f n screws, locktited with near permanant stuff, yes worse than everywhere else) Pop the lock out and take it with you.  The locksmith should be able to make a key for that.  Hopefully, it's the same key   Shocked

WWW   IP Logged
MERKURMAN
YaBB Newbies

FNG

Fort Hood TX
Reply #10 - 09/14/11 at 17:33:18

Don't know if this helps or if the wiring is the same.  Found it on eBay

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=380369514507&index=12&nav=SEAR...

Its all fun and games till someone gets poked in the eye with a sharp stick!
  IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #11 - 09/14/11 at 18:19:42

The tool box lock, helmet lock & gas cap lock don't have as many tumblers as the ignition lock.

The ignition lock/ switch can be disassembled to remove the lock cylinder (the part with the tumblers) & a GOOD locksmith can make a key from that. But he must have the correct blank.

I know this because I lost the key to my '01 & tried to get one made from first the tool box lock & then the helmet lock.  Huh

I ended up taking the ignition lock apart & doing it myself after I got the right key blank. All it took was a set of jewelers files & some patience. Cool And it turned out the locksmith I went to didn't even use the right key blank! Angry

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
prsavage

atgatt

Nanaimo BC
Reply #12 - 09/14/11 at 22:18:13

My key code was there on my 1997 Intruder.  I looked into cutting a key from the code but it was going to be cheaper to buy all used lock set from a motorcycle wrecker in Florida.  His price including shipping was $102.  But he never sent the parts I paid for.  It was quite a hassle getting my money back but my bank scooped it for me and were they ever mad down in Florida.  I don't care cuz I got my money back.  SunCoastCycleSports.com if you care to risk it.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 09/14/11 at 22:56:55

Back in about 1977 I went from Thibodeaux La to Odessa Tx to get my car out of a storage building.. I got to the airport at about 1 am,, to the car,, almost 2 am,, I left the keys on my dresser, in Louisiana! I called a locksmith & he came out & I held the flashlight as he took a blank & clipped it in a small set of vise grips, putting it on the door & wiggling it, pulling it out & looking at it, then filing a bit,, over & over,, after about 10 minutes,, he had the door open,, another 5 minutes, he had the ignition,, & I fired it up & backed it out,,
Price?? $ 20.00 whole dollars! The cab from the airport cost about that,, Id sure hate to pay for either one today..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dinsdale

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ottawa, Canada
Reply #14 - 09/15/11 at 09:55:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/14/11 at 22:56:55:
Back in about 1977 I went from Thibodeaux La to Odessa Tx to get my car out of a storage building.. I got to the airport at about 1 am,, to the car,, almost 2 am,, I left the keys on my dresser, in Louisiana! I called a locksmith & he came out & I held the flashlight as he took a blank & clipped it in a small set of vise grips, putting it on the door & wiggling it, pulling it out & looking at it, then filing a bit,, over & over,, after about 10 minutes,, he had the door open,, another 5 minutes, he had the ignition,, & I fired it up & backed it out,,
Price?? $ 20.00 whole dollars! The cab from the airport cost about that,, Id sure hate to pay for either one today..

That is what I was charged 10 years ago to do it for a boat ignition that I had lost the keys for.
Pulled the cylinder and brought it in though.
10 minutes , $20 and I had 2 new keys

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/26/24 at 16:16:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Key Code

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.