Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cam Chain Tensioner Check Clarified ? (Read 218 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Cam Chain Tensioner Check Clarified ?
09/11/11 at 08:40:28

Ok, see if I understand this,......and correct me if wrong,...........
W/ the later model bikes needing the check sooner than earlier models, my '07 is probably near check time at 6500 miles.
So if I plan to keep the bike, one way or another, I should have a new extended 2 hole plunger ready to go in if I don't want to chance a week or 2 downtime.
When I do take it down, if the plunger is beyond the 18mm spec, then the new one can be installed,......w/ bolt in the extended hole.

If it is not near the limit, then effort is wasted, but then I have 2 choices, leave as is, or install the new plunger w/ bolt in original hole,.....the difference being nothing.

Then after another 3-6k ?? miles, move the bolt to the 2 hole if needed, and all is well for another.......many miles.

Why am I thinking that there must be an easier way of checking,......like a 1" flat rubber inspection plug inline w/ the plunger ? Tacky ?? Shocked I guess I'd have to agree,.......but if it wadn't for the cuttings getting into the oil side, I'm afraid my 1" hole saw just mite be warming up already Shocked

Any thoughts or corrections welcome.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Re: Cam Chain Tensioner Check Clarified ?
Reply #1 - 09/11/11 at 09:01:38

That's a great idea, but I doubt a rubber plug would work. Maybe some kind of window? like the oil level window?

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 09/11/11 at 09:10:11

"Mr Verslagen, messy cam chain expert question on Isle 6, messy cam chain (w/war potential ??) question on Isle 6"

"Leftover cam chain wear data question on Isle 3,  leftover cam chain wear question on Isle 3"

Routy, the recent guys who are checking seem to be checking earlier and earlier and they are seeing wear about 3/4 of the way there.

We used to check around 15,000 miles and we WERE there, and we were also at a point where a new clutch rod wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Let Verslagen crunch his old cam chain wear data and see if there has been a shift or not with these newer bikes.   This answer is complicated of course by the fact they are looking early and are only 3/4 of the way there.

==================

Bunch of old history -- http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1176999168

Window idea might get complicated by the position of the oil filter area (right over where you need to be looking).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/11/11 at 09:24:17

I see you guys have never had the cover off or you'd know the answer.
The location of the hole is under the oil filter.  And there's very little space there.  

You'll have to find the cam chain adjuster life thread yourselves.  Very limited responses right now.

WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 09/11/11 at 09:57:49

verslagen1 wrote on 09/11/11 at 09:24:17:
I see you guys have never had the cover off or you'd know the answer.
The location of the hole is under the oil filter.  And there's very little space there.  

You'll have to find the cam chain adjuster life thread yourselves.  Very limited responses right now.

Good thing the battery was dead in my hole saw drill ??
Why did I know there would be a curve thrown into my style ?
Maybe if I had went out there and just looked at it ??

I thought I had read enough to know that there is a big difference in the miliage that these chains wear.
But I ain't in no hurry to inspect it yet,.....as its all perdy quiet in there yet.
OF,.....what would we do w/o you ?? Wink

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 09/11/11 at 10:10:24

WHAT IF..... you cut an inspection hole in the clutch cover behind the oil filter. You wouldn't have to worry about sealing it up as it's behind the filter.
I can't see how it would impede the function of the filter. That way you could check the tensioner every time you change the filter.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/11/11 at 10:12:01

Even if the chain is still within spec.... put in the Verslavy on the first hole...
It's not a wasted effort,.. because the Verslavy has two features...
The extended adjuster hole,... and the pinned adjuster...
The pinned adjuster will prevent the plunger from popping out and causing havoc...
Well worth the trouble.... Wink...

I see you're a believer in this engineering screw-up by Suzuki... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/11/11 at 10:19:02

arteacher wrote on 09/11/11 at 10:10:24:
WHAT IF..... you cut an inspection hole in the clutch cover behind the oil filter. You wouldn't have to worry about sealing it up as it's behind the filter.
I can't see how it would impede the function of the filter. That way you could check the tensioner every time you change the filter.

A leak will mean no pressure downstream.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 09/11/11 at 11:16:16

Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin

I love's them I do .....    

Both all our newbies and all our brand new never-done-it-before Newbie Exspurts.

Hell, I won't even claim to be the cam chain expert any more, I'll let Verslagen do it because he's a lot more current than I am.  

Furthermore, has anyone worn out a SuperChain yet to see if it actually outperformed their original cam chain?

Cheesy    let's all sing along together !!

T'ain't me babe, no no no
It ain't me you lookin' for,  babe
My chain is still on the second hoooole .....
It ain't me you lookin' for,  babe

« Last Edit: 09/11/11 at 12:21:37 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #9 - 09/11/11 at 11:24:43

verslagen1 wrote on 09/11/11 at 10:19:02:
arteacher wrote on 09/11/11 at 10:10:24:

A leak will mean no pressure downstream.

So that chamber is under pressure?

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #10 - 09/11/11 at 11:49:03

That's a darn good idea, arteacher.  I wouldn't put a glass window there (cuz the oil pressure might pop it out)  but one could install a threaded metal inspection plug there, making it very easy to check the tensioner when changing the filter.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 09/11/11 at 12:19:25

This is the same oil pressure that can bust the oil cover slam out if you put the filter in backwards?

Same one that spikes up to 60+ psi on the gauge (filter oriented correctly) when engine is first started and the oil is cold & gooky?

yeah !!   that one !!

==================

All youse guys do realize that you don't need to "check it" at all when a chain is on the second hole, right?

Chain will declare itself very clearly when it wears out in the second life.  It will make a most peculiar sound when it starts rubbing up against itself -- probably a whirring/burring sound combined with a slack slapping sound, probably quite distinctive and LOUD.

Ain't nobody heard that particular sound yet that I know of, so we'll get a video when it happens and post it for everybody to listen to.

Wink

HAS any body put in their new super duty cam chain yet?

If so, Who?

Grin   Grin   Grin        I loves a good intellectual discussion, I do .....
and I gots me two of them smancy fancy super chains, I does, two of 'em golden jobbies from the very first certified shipment.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 09/12/11 at 10:50:15

A inspection hole in the cover would be cool. About an half inch would do. Then either put a window or a threaded plug there. But the area has to be reinforced as the cover also takes mechanical load from actuating the clutch. An additional hole without reinforcement could crack the cover from using the clutch. But like Oldfeller said: In principle you don't need it when you're on the "2nd" chain life with the verslavy in there.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 09/12/11 at 12:00:22

Here's a couple of pic's.
Top one clutch cover removed.
bottom one inside of the clutch cover reversed to compare
The place to put the inspection port is right thru the oil passage.
So, you would also need to engage the plunger to indicate a limit.
Or you can put in a verslavy with a built in limit.

WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #14 - 09/12/11 at 13:09:31

A small inspection hole to the right of the oil passage in your pic would allow you to see the head of the tensioner bolt, which would give you a good idea if you needed to change the tensioner, or move it to the outside hole in your tensioner.
BTW, I would like to buy one of your tensioners so I will have one to put in when I need it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 14:20:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain Tensioner Check Clarified ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.