Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Raptor 660 petcock believer!! (Read 609 times)
txsizzler
YaBB Newbies

Its a real THUMP in
the pants!

Portland/Corpus Christi, TX.
New Raptor 660 petcock believer!!
09/07/11 at 11:14:01

Well folks, I have now made the switch. After having the bike stall out on me 4 different times (not in a row, just randomly) when doing around 70 mph, I decided to do the petcock "test" http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1315418285 and sure enough, I was a good candidate for the Raptor swapout. So, I went to bikebandit, ordered the Raptor 660 petcock and a Slipstreamer Spitfire S-06 windshield, and got them yesterday.

Anyhow, I made a 3-part "HOW TO" video, showing step-by-step for all of us who are not very mechanically inclined (<-- me raising hand!), and for those of us who are "noobs", or just want a better explanation of the swapout! Here is the link to the technical document: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1315418285

Sorry if its a bit wordy at first! My first time doing a how to video, hehheh! Enjoy!

Ian

"Life is like a bath; the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkled you get!" -Garfield
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Re: New Raptor 660 petcock believer!!
Reply #1 - 09/08/11 at 07:39:46

Sizzler, I think you'll like the Raptor petcock. One thing I like about that type of petcock is how easy it turns compared to the Suzuki one. I check my oil before every ride, so even if left on there is not much chance of the float sticking and me not knowing it. I also have an S-06 windshield and it works well for me. I think mine was around $65, so anywhere in that range is a good deal. BTW, the new petcock has less reserve. I ran out and switched to reserve last week. After 10-12 miles It looked like I was close to empty, but didn't shine a light in the tank to see how much I had. It held 2.44 gals on the side stand up slightly into the filler neck.  

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
txsizzler
YaBB Newbies

Its a real THUMP in
the pants!

Portland/Corpus Christi, TX.
Reply #2 - 09/08/11 at 15:30:55

Yeah, I took a good ride in the freeway today with the new petcock and windshield. The bike preformed great! No hesitation at all, and the windshield did a good job keeping about 90% of the wind off of me. I made a How-To video on the installation of the Spitfire windshield, which I will post in the tech section later.

Ian

"Life is like a bath; the longer you stay in it, the more wrinkled you get!" -Garfield
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 09/09/11 at 07:04:33

quote:
"test" http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1315418285 and sure enough, I was a good candidate for the Raptor swapout.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
The link is not for the test as said.
If indeed the test showed that the petcock was shot, you were getting fuel down the vacuum line and into the intake....into the cylinder....into the oil,.....or overflowing the carb, out the vent tubes,....into  the aircleaner ??? How many of those if any ? Did you check your oil for gas in it.....or just change it ? Just curious.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #4 - 09/09/11 at 08:50:35

I am going to say this one last time. I had NO PROBLEMS with too much gas anywhere. I had problems with starvation at drag racing take offs and rolling on up to 70-80 on the four lane. It was an imtermittent problem solved by the new petcock, using the same gas line, etc.  I'm going riding now.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #5 - 09/09/11 at 09:15:58

Routy is in full petcock war mode and he now he wants to "define petcock failure" as only a split diaphragm, which is the oldest time frame and the very rarest of the failure modes.

Then he wants you to prove you had ALL the failure modes ... and nobody but Verslagen or Serobot has ever kept a stock vacsucker around long enough to get them all on the same unit.   The rest of us jump ship long before then.

He hates it when people say they simply got sick of dealing with the stock vac petcock due to the lesser issues, one of which is fuel starvation, running out of gas, false "empty" signals, etc.

He wants to redefine the fuel starvation as "low vacuum issues" which is fine by me -- then he has to research and figure out a way to remedy "low vacuum issues" which will be fun to watch him go do.  

Wait until he asks everybody to put their Suzuki stock air filters back in place ......  

Cheesy

Routy hates losing a petcock war, which is good because that makes him long lasting -- reminds me of eating a Brown Cow candy on a stick.   A Brown Cow was a dark caramel bar on a paper stick that you couldn't bite through it, it was way too too tough and thick.  You had to suck and lick it until it softened, then you could bite off a piece.  This always wound up with your teeth stuck together when you bit into it -- movie time fun to no end.

You can run him off screaming if you just simply cheerfully list all the ways the new Raptor petcock is easier to live with and simply works better.  Just tell him how much better you like it, and why.

Reminds me of sprinkling salt on a snorkle snail (slug) -- you get some similar reactions.

Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
HJH

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Cheyenne, WY
Reply #6 - 09/09/11 at 15:38:10

Seemed simple to me- the stock petcock has been a problem for some people, and it may cause a problem sometime, probably where I don't want it to happen.   My bike is 9 years old, so sometime is probably near, and the fix is cheap, so I got rid of the possible problem.  I don't really give a hoot about the debate whether the petcock is the source of all of the bike's carb problems or not, the Raptor petcock prevented at least one potential problem, and so far I have been smart enough to turn off the gas when I stop and park.

Silver '02, Dyna, Raptor Petcock, VM carb at 6000 ft, Q2 needle, 12.5 pilot, 170 main, UFO, Verslavy, Pirelli 150/90, Plexistar 2 Windshield, K&N filter, Tourmaster II bag, Progressive Shocks
  IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/10/11 at 09:35:12

for me the raptor was the way to go. i had starvation issues with stock petcock. didnt feel like rebuilding for future failure so i switched. no problems with scoot ever since. i remember to turn off when i get off bike, its turning it back on that gets me every now and again Roll Eyes. i will hear a big bang after about a half a block and automatically reach down to turn it on.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 09/11/11 at 14:49:08

Oh, you boys are so so cruel to your little pet snorkles .....   (more salt, please)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
CodyT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/09/16 at 17:19:00

trying to find a good guide for installing my raptor petcock.. i found a youtube guide with 3 parts to it. I just want to study more before i attempt it. Im more worried about sealing the carb part or w/e.

IP Logged
CodyT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/09/16 at 17:21:23

i did not do a prime test or anything and just decided to get a raptor for my 95 sav. I did have oil in my airbox and the air filter was saturated with some oil, but smelled to me like gas (slightly)

IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #11 - 05/10/16 at 07:24:03

3 parts? Brother, it just screws on where the factory one was, no huhu
use the screws / washers from the old petcock, clean the surface well, and slap it on, then plug the vacuum at the carb (I actually went and bought block - off caps)

IP Logged
Drestakil

innocent bystander

Southern Illinois
Reply #12 - 05/10/16 at 08:18:05

Boofer wrote on 09/08/11 at 07:39:46:
BTW, the new petcock has less reserve. I ran out and switched to reserve last week. After 10-12 miles It looked like I was close to empty, but didn't shine a light in the tank to see how much I had. It held 2.44 gals on the side stand up slightly into the filler neck.  

The new petcock comes with plastic hose over the screen so you can adjust when you have to switch to reserve. The problem was it wouldn't fit in the hole on my '09. But, it did fit on the '89 so it has more reserve. Just have to switch to it sooner.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 05/10/16 at 08:27:21

Drestakil wrote on 05/10/16 at 08:18:05:
Boofer wrote on 09/08/11 at 07:39:46:
BTW, the new petcock has less reserve. I ran out and switched to reserve last week. After 10-12 miles It looked like I was close to empty, but didn't shine a light in the tank to see how much I had. It held 2.44 gals on the side stand up slightly into the filler neck.  

The new petcock comes with plastic hose over the screen so you can adjust when you have to switch to reserve. The problem was it wouldn't fit in the hole on my '09. But, it did fit on the '89 so it has more reserve. Just have to switch to it sooner.

Nope....that little clear plastic sleeve is there to protect the filter from damage while it is being shipped around the world.  The sleeve is supposed to be removed before you install the petcock!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
CodyT
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/10/16 at 11:42:27

3 Parts... i mean the youtube guide has 3 video parts by the same dude showing how to change it. I was just worried about how to cap off? the vacuum part. Its not shown very well in video.

Im very new to cycles and love to do my own work but am not very knowledgeable yet. Slowly learning.

I would like to learn how to take out and clean my own carb sometime as well but thats for future project.

I was wondering if while the petcock is off and before installing the 660 if theirs anyway to clean the carburetor while that hose is off.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:25:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Raptor 660 petcock believer!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.