Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Handle bar prefferances? (Read 356 times)
mr.HUBA
Ex Member

Handle bar prefferances?
09/07/11 at 01:54:48

Which type of handlebars do you guys like?

I dig the drag style handlebars but i think those only look right with a bobber type set up.

Which kinds come stock with the bike? Bucks??

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Re: Handle bar prefferances?
Reply #1 - 09/07/11 at 05:28:12

The earlier bikes all came with buck horns while the later S40 bikes come with drag bars. I can't remember the exact year the change was made, I'm thinking around 2005. It was also when the 2 piece seat was replaced with the 1 piece seat. I personally prefer the drag bars.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #2 - 09/07/11 at 05:37:59

Mine is an '87 with buckhorns and single seat. My back and I prefer the buckhorns. I'm not racing, just riding. My a$$ would prefer a more comfortable seat, although the forward controls and 3" risers seem to have eased my pain somewhat. Now I just need a backrest.

« Last Edit: 09/07/11 at 19:52:13 by drums1 »  
  IP Logged
Demin
Serious Thumper

We need more
chlorine in the gene
pool

Warren,Ohio
Reply #3 - 09/07/11 at 05:57:24

I like the drag bars.Which DID come stock on my '86.You could get them either way.Look up parts it ask for either LS650F or LS650P.Flat or pullback.

Next project:finish '87 Savage custom/bobber/CHOP STYLE***DONE
finish '77 Yamaha XS650 bobber Bought another one
finish'79 Harley custom bobber(NEXT)
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #4 - 09/07/11 at 06:10:22

Having owned and Ridden both an '03 Savage and an '05 S40, I prefer the stock drag-bar set up on the S40 as opposed to the stock buckhorns on the Savage for overall Riding comfort and handling.

That said, rotating the Savage's buckhorns forward in their clamps by about an inch and a half or so made a world of difference in comfort and handling ... so I came to like the bucks too!

Aftermarket Z-bars would likely be the best of both worlds and look darn cool too!

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #5 - 09/07/11 at 08:19:19

Broomstick for me.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Sarge
YaBB Newbies
Alliance Member

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 09/07/11 at 10:12:07

My 2003 Savage came with buckhorns.  I recently put S40 drag style bars on it and what an improvement!  More comfortable to handle and looks much better.
Smiley

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 09/07/11 at 10:45:47

I'll take drag bars any day. The buckhorns make me feel like the bike is smaller than with drags.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
ezornes239

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/07/11 at 10:47:45

I have an '07 S40. I didn't like I high the stock bars were, so I put on clip-ons. I dig the look mostly, real low and mean in the front, and the ride comfort doesn't suffer that bad at all. I'm the the process of kind of mixing in parts of the Ryca kit, some bobber-esque aspects, while also leaving a stock fender and seat, for both cost purposes and having the ability to have someone else hop on th eback if needed.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/07/11 at 10:53:16

I had bucks on a Kawa 750 years ago.. Swapped them for some Drags, much better handling,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #10 - 09/07/11 at 11:35:12

I like the stock 05 Drags on the stock risers, but am thinking about swapping for some 10in mini-apes or Z-bars over the winter (just want to make sure the stock cables are going to work first)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #11 - 09/07/11 at 13:46:21

Just my opinion, but I think the particular buckhorns Suzuki used are some of the stupidest looking bars around.  If I were building a street tracker rather than a Ryca cafe racer, I'd use the buckhorn bar mounts with a bar about 29" wide, with a 2" rise and 3" pullback -- you know, "normal."  Wink

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 09/07/11 at 13:53:43

I think a better handle bar would be like the older bikes between buckhorn as drag bars.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/07/11 at 14:03:20

i started off with buck horns on my 86, they didn't stay for long and a co-worker donated a set of drag bars. those were cool looking and the bike handled great, but they made three fingers on my throttle hand go numb. bought a pair of z bars at a swap meet a couple of weeks ago, and they rock. it handles different with the z bars, but it took the numbness away. oh and the coolness factor is thru the roof Cool

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #14 - 09/07/11 at 14:55:02

Love the drag bars. They aren't bone straight. The slight curve makes them very comfy. Plus they just look awesome.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/05/24 at 20:35:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Handle bar prefferances?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.