Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
tach question (Read 416 times)
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
tach question
08/02/11 at 00:00:29

I've been combing the website and all over the forums about these but I can't seem to dig up any definative info on them. I'm wanting to do a duel speedo/tach mount on my risers but can't find a reliable answer for what tach to get that isn't digital. Anyone know of a tach that I can get where the "wasted spark" can be read differently with a swapped out tach face? Or even one that actually works with our bikes?

99 savage: k&n filter, .6 spacer mod, 152.5 main, stock pilot, open HD shorty "muffler" and currently working on bobbing.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Re: tach question
Reply #1 - 08/02/11 at 05:17:13

You might contact Ryca to see who the source is for the matching tach and speedo they supply with their kits. And I imagine the mounts Ryca makes for them could be adapted to mount above the triple clamp instead of below. Oh, and you'd need their lengthened speedo cable.

Then, if you wanted, you could get the plate Ryca uses to cover the hole in the tank where the stock speedo was. It's also designed to hold a relocated ignition switch and idiot lights.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 08/02/11 at 05:52:11

if the tach doesnt read the "wasted" spark its reading only half the rpms

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Reply #3 - 08/02/11 at 06:34:13

so would an inductive pickup style work? like....

http://www.amazon.com/Equus-6086-Black-Tachometer-Measures/dp/B000EW0KW2

...this one?

99 savage: k&n filter, .6 spacer mod, 152.5 main, stock pilot, open HD shorty "muffler" and currently working on bobbing.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #4 - 08/02/11 at 07:16:03

I had a mini tach book marked for a long time.....til now,...it was common here..and on these bikes. Someone will post it I'm sure.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 08/02/11 at 07:57:06

I just bought this exact tach from this seller based on other users' opinions. It arrived quickly and I believe it would work, but the bezel has 2 dings in it so I am sending it back. When I get the replacement and installed I will let you know again.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120748140826&vi...

Here's the Tach Thread from the Tech section:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1221683647

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #6 - 08/02/11 at 09:06:42

It looks a lot like the one Ryca supplies, but with no screws at the 1 and 7, no post at 0 and no YIH TYAN at the bottom.

Hmmmm, I wonder why mine is reading about 1700 rpm when it's not even connected.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
ksthumper

Olathe, KS
Reply #7 - 08/02/11 at 09:50:44

EJID that looks promising, but I wonder if the two dings on it were the cause for the 5% off sale lol. I just might pick one of those up too if you like it!

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #8 - 08/02/11 at 09:53:30

MotoBuddha wrote on 08/02/11 at 09:06:42:
It looks a lot like the one Ryca supplies, but with no screws at the 1 and 7, no post at 0 and no YIH TYAN at the bottom.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk182/motobuddha/ea7ed3d1.jpg

Hmmmm, I wonder why mine is reading about 1700 rpm when it's not even connected.

I bought a Baron bullet tach and e-mailed them with the same question. They said not to worry, it would read accurately when powered up.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #9 - 08/02/11 at 10:28:40

ksthumper wrote on 08/02/11 at 09:50:44:
EJID that looks promising, but I wonder if the two dings on it were the cause for the 5% off sale lol. I just might pick one of those up too if you like it!

Contacted them and said if I ship it back they will send another. (Actully I sent a couple "Best Offers" and got it for 32.99 + shipping)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #10 - 08/03/11 at 11:54:51

How difficult are these to connect?  I would love to have one if it's easy enough to set it up.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #11 - 08/03/11 at 11:58:37

MrBrownTX wrote on 08/03/11 at 11:54:51:
How difficult are these to connect?  I would love to have one if it's easy enough to set it up.

Just mailed it back yesterday for an exchange. Looking at the directions though it has 4 wires.

Ground
Battery
Light
Coil

Battery and Light can be combined and directly switched from the ignition. Only one I'm concerned about is finding the right spot to connect to the coil.

Smiley

IP Logged
bluesrockdoc
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/04/11 at 06:10:33

Please keep us up on this, I would really like to get a tach.

IP Logged
Scheco
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/05/12 at 04:44:14

I got a bike that was standing for more than 5years and the tach is very dirty, full of dust. Looks identical to the one in the picture but got the Yih Tyan writing at the bottom. Can this tach be opened to clean the inside of the glass?

IP Logged
Chicagobob
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 01/05/12 at 10:42:51

Mike's XS sells a variety of tachs and speedos, some of which are mechanical and some electronic.  You could also go to a digital gauge like Trail Tech's Vapor, which I use on my old GS550.  Very nice, lightweight and useful.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 20:27:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tach question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.