Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Side Stand Oil Method -- do you or don't you?

Yep, I do it on the sidestand
Nope, I balance it vertical using .....
.... my manservant, Emanuel Dexterity
.... a friend, buxom female preferably
.... a brick, a block of wood, other thick item
.... a stick *(Sluggo can explain it)
Remove timing port, fill till it comes out (V1)
.... I don't ever have to check it (Bill)

« Last Modified by: verslagen1 on: 07/31/11 at 20:17:02 »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Send Topic Print
side stand oil method (Read 1896 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: side stand oil method
Reply #75 - 08/09/11 at 08:30:40

Drunkin,

I'm very surprised that Rotella T won't pass the hot test for you ....

What's going on with your side stand I wonder?   Ever have a "bend it" event of any kind with that side stand because your bike seems to be lying "further over" than normal?  

That would be a "bent out" condition on the side stand.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #76 - 08/09/11 at 08:36:13

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/09/11 at 08:30:40:

Drunkin,

I'm very surprised that Rotella T won't pass the hot test for you ....

What's going on with your side stand I wonder?   Ever have a "bend it" event of any kind with that side stand because your bike seems to be lying "further over" than normal?  

That would be a "bent out" condition on the side stand.

I bought it used in 2008 (1 year old) from a former co-worker. He said he never dropped it and I have no reason not to trust him. I've never dropped it.

I'm not aware of any other "events". Although, I did just have it shipped from NY to WA in a moving truck. They may have tightened it down too much.

I'll take a pic when I get a chance.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #77 - 08/09/11 at 08:36:18

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #78 - 08/09/11 at 09:03:01

That's how I bent mine, it was strapped down with straps in the bed of a pick up truck while resting on the side stand.

I got back most of the angle lost when I put the big magnet on the end of the foot -- it also acts like a pavement puck to keep the bike from digging into heat soften pavement.

Surprise, nobody's bike is new .... they all have had events of some sort.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #79 - 08/09/11 at 09:40:00

Ok, for the "hot test"

Cold engine...on the SS, oil level is just a trifle below the low line. It was on the low line 800-1,000 mi ago.

Engine hot, normal idle, bike vertical, window is mostly solid oil, except for a touch of bubbles at the very top.

Just above idle, (fast idle) window is solid oil....no bubbles.

Slow idle, (barely clickin over) window is 3/4 - 4/5 solid oil.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #80 - 08/09/11 at 10:07:41

Routy wrote on 08/09/11 at 09:40:00:
Ok, for the "hot test"

Cold engine...on the SS, oil level is just a trifle below the low line. It was on the low line 800-1,000 mi ago.

Engine hot, normal idle, bike vertical, window is mostly solid oil, except for a touch of bubbles at the very top.

I actually hadn't found this "HOT TEST" before, so I did a version of it this morning, engine was not real hot (only about a 2 mile in town ride before checking)
BTW, running blue jug ROTSYN

Cold engine...on the SS, oil level is just barely visible in the window.

Engine semi-hot, normal idle, bike vertical, window is just over 1/2 full of oil.

Just above idle, (fast idle), bike vertical, window is 3/4 oil....some bubbles.

Slow idle, (I don't do a slow idle).

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #81 - 08/09/11 at 10:08:18

Is that on kick stand or up right.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #82 - 08/09/11 at 10:42:11

So according to what Oldfeller said and the REAL hot test done by Routy, he has too much oil in it. But he filled it cold on the SS to the bottom mark. When he did the test it was somewhere between the bottom mark and the bottom of the glass. Now if he had it at the bottom of the glass to begin with when cold, and then doing the Oldfeller hot test, it probably would still fill half the glass. That means he still has too much oil according to Oldfeller.

Nope, too much oil on the HOT TEST is a full window.   The preceding paragraph got several people pumped up quite a bit, but none of you who got pumped up noticed it contained erroneous information put down by a brick person who has never done a HOT TEST in his life.  Go back up thread and read the HOT TEST again.  Oldfeller

I understand that there's people that have problems getting down to look at the glass with the bike upright and therefore like the bottom of the glass fill when cold and on SS, to not have to do that.

What I do is, I found a spot in my front yard that is pretty good level. I turn the handlebar all the way left and put a piece of leftover 4x4 under the SS. That gets it pretty good vertical and level without trying to flip over to the other side. I put a bubble level on the starter and that confirms it that it's level. Then I got my hands free to get down on my knees comfortably to check the oil in the glass window. And that's how I fill it when I change oil-to the upper mark.
It isn't too much effort, I keep the small piece of 4x4 handy and just park in the same spot.
I check it every time before I go on a longer run. And I also check it after I came back.

« Last Edit: 08/09/11 at 21:56:23 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #83 - 08/09/11 at 11:36:06

EJID wrote on 08/09/11 at 10:07:41:
Ok, for the "hot test"

I actually hadn't found this "HOT TEST" before, so I did a version of it this morning, engine was not real hot (only about a 2 mile in town ride before checking)

Engine semi-hot, normal idle, bike vertical, window is just over 1/2 full of oil.

I did the slow idle for just a couple minutes.....for info only.
It appears that my test compares closely w/ yours, except mine has more oil in it.

I'd wonder how "too much" oil is determined. I see no sign of mine having too much.     Too much oil is a solid window during HOT TEST.   Oldfeller

« Last Edit: 08/09/11 at 21:41:20 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #84 - 08/09/11 at 11:46:33

Quote:
turn the handlebar all the way left and put a piece of leftover 4x4 under the SS. That gets it pretty good vertical and level without trying to flip over to the other side.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I say that using a 4x4 won't work on an all standard bike ?
At least mine can't be trusted on little more than a 2x4 if the wind was blowin left to right !

It seems to me that this thread is now more than checkin the oil an easier way. It now is....how much more oil will it safely hold.

Rich
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #85 - 08/09/11 at 11:55:23

Routy wrote on 08/09/11 at 11:36:06:
EJID wrote on 08/09/11 at 10:07:41:
Ok, for the "hot test"

I did the slow idle for just a couple minutes.....for info only.
It appears that my test compares closely w/ yours, except mine has more oil in it.

I'd wonder how "too much" oil is determined. I see no sign of mine having too much.

I took mine for a longer ride at lunch with a short highway jaunt and such just to make sure it was nice and hot. When I checked it right after mine was closer to yours so I am probably overfilled as well  Sad

You guys are pumping each other up based on Ralfyguy's erroneous comment -- go back and read the silly HOT TEST again.  Oldfeller

With that being said, do I need to drain a little oil out before my longer ride this weekend? Or, since I don't think it is severly overfilled, just ride it and if I have a little blow out the crankcase breather I shouldn't worry? That is the purpose of that breather isn't it?

« Last Edit: 08/09/11 at 21:45:39 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #86 - 08/09/11 at 13:27:43

I just tried the hot test . My oil is barely visible cold on the side stand . After driving 15 minutes I stood it up level on a brick under the kickstand  ,at regular idle and high idle  the window is full of oil  . I guess I should empty some out ,but I didn't see any oil in the air cleaner compartment ,when I changed my air filter . I'm not sure about this hot test.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #87 - 08/09/11 at 15:24:05

Routy wrote on 08/09/11 at 11:46:33:
Quote:
turn the handlebar all the way left and put a piece of leftover 4x4 under the SS. That gets it pretty good vertical and level without trying to flip over to the other side.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I say that using a 4x4 won't work on an all standard bike ?
At least mine can't be trusted on little more than a 2x4 if the wind was blowin left to right !

It seems to me that this thread is now more than checkin the oil an easier way. It now is....how much more oil will it safely hold.

My bike is standard. The trick is with the handle bar all the way left. I even have some more room to tilt before it wants to fall over. The SS is not bent nor is anything else. If I leave the handlebar straight it won't work.
I mean you COULD kick it over, but it would need a hard kick to do so.
I do this all the time, never had an issue.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #88 - 08/09/11 at 15:41:43

EJID said, "....... just ride it and if I have a little blow out the crankcase breather I shouldn't worry? That is the purpose of that breather isn't it?

The crankcase breather allows the crankcase pressure pulses to breathe.  In our motor (being a thumper) the pulses are intense.  Everytime the piston goes down, it wants to pump air into the crankcase,.. and on a power stroke, it is even more intense because of blow by.

The breather lets this air/fume mix escape.

When the piston is on a compression or exhaust stroke (moving upwards) there is just of the opposite of a pressure pulse,... the crankcase wants to suck in a lot of air.    That is why breather tubes should have filters on them -- they suck in outside air.

So, in the crankcase, it is SUCK/BLOW/SUCK/BLOW/SUCK/BLOW to the tune of 100 times each second at 6,000 rpm.  

The breather lets the crankcase vent those suckblow pressure pulses.

If you have oil coming out the breather, you are overfilled.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #89 - 08/09/11 at 16:58:56

so the crankcase breather is located where the air filter is ,right? And if you don't have any oil in the air filter compartment ,you're not overfilled ,right?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 00:51:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › side stand oil method

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.