Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Side Stand Oil Method -- do you or don't you?

Yep, I do it on the sidestand
Nope, I balance it vertical using .....
.... my manservant, Emanuel Dexterity
.... a friend, buxom female preferably
.... a brick, a block of wood, other thick item
.... a stick *(Sluggo can explain it)
Remove timing port, fill till it comes out (V1)
.... I don't ever have to check it (Bill)

« Last Modified by: verslagen1 on: 07/31/11 at 20:17:02 »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
side stand oil method (Read 1896 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: side stand oil method
Reply #105 - 08/11/11 at 04:51:03

Only those who can understand the method should be trying to using it -- but it isn't rocket science, it is fairly easy if you actually try to do it.

We'll all talk you through it,  Ralfyguy

First step is to find the spot where you always park your bike -- can you see the side window from that spot (enough light, etc).   Turn your handle bars the way you always leave them when you get off the bike, everything same same.

Now fill your oil up until the oil just peeps over the bottom edge of the oil window.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #106 - 08/11/11 at 06:23:52

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/11/11 at 04:51:03:
Only those who can understand the method should be trying to using it -- but it isn't rocket science, it is fairly easy if you actually try to do it.

We'll all talk you through it,  Ralfyguy

First step is to find the spot where you always park your bike -- can you see the side window from that spot (enough light, etc).   Turn your handle bars the way you always leave them when you get off the bike, everything same same.

Now fill your oil up until the oil just peeps over the bottom edge of the oil window.

Done this way on a standard bike, I can almost garanteee no problem.
But I believe a big problem could be,....what is standard ?
Anyone that can put a 4x4 under the side stand and not have the bike fall over, all guarantees are OFF. Those bikes are going to have more oil in them. A bent SS or an over size rear tire could make a difference in more oil to peek the sight glass. This just may be the reason Suzuski (maybe others) chose to use the (not so stupid) vertical method.

The only sure way is to know what works on "your bike" (hot test?)

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #107 - 08/11/11 at 16:10:40

Ralfyguy,

Why are you confused?   You see a fellow rider who has competed his side stand HOT TEST analysis on his own bike and He Understands How It Works.

Your first step is to find your spot and set your oil level -- your second step is to do the HOT TEST to verify your chosen level poses no issues for you or your bike.

Having done this, you can be a happy and secure side stander who, if he bends on his side stand swing arm any knows enough now to repeat his side stand test to make sure he has stayed nice and safe.

==============

Now, Drunken -- if you glued a side stand puck (a pavement penetration protector) to the bottom of your side stand foot you would pick up HOT TEST clearance off its thickness on about a 1:1 ratio from what you have told us so far.   Pavement penetration is bad, right?   A wee little extra bit of oil clearance is good, right?

Two goods make a double Woopieee !!         last time I checked anyway .....

My side stand puck is a 4" long, 1" wide,  1/2" thick super magnet that I use to trip stop light sensors

-- so mine is a triple good Woopie !!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #108 - 08/12/11 at 04:50:34

Well what confuses me is that the suggestion is to fill the oil to the bottom of the glass when on the SS. This should result in a no more than half a glass full of oil when idling hot and the bike held upright. Turns out that there is a few fellow riders that stated when the cold fill their bike to the bottom of the glass on the SS as suggested, theirs shows the glass almost full or full completely with a few bubbles when doing the upright hot idle. So the suggestion also was that this is too much oil, as it isn't supposed to be more than half full then.
So these people should not cold fill to the bottom of the glass, because the hot idle test shows too much oil on their bikes.
That is what confuses me.
On my bike it's filled to the top mark when held level and on hot idle the level shows close to half the glass. Putting my bike on the SS and checking when cold, there is no oil in the glass. This is done all in the same parking spot.
So my hot idle is about what it is suggested to be. But no oil visible in the glass when cold and on SS. So on m bike I should not put more oil in to make it visible then, because it might show overfilled when doing the hot idle test right? Grin

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #109 - 08/12/11 at 05:22:10

You are so right on all counts.
As I said before, if that is the case, there is no point in all this BS SS stuff ! But,......who is qualified to determine what "overfilled" is ??
Just because OF says it, doesn't make it gospel. And I for one don't believe it, only because I have proved it not to be true.
Even the talk of bikes spitting oil seems to have come from no where, because I haven't read of even one case of it happening. Maybe I missed it.
If filling to the low line on the side stand works on my "standard" bike, then it should work on all "standard" bikes. That is why I put up the poll,...to determine which bikes are standard. But if you are like most the others....as the poll shows, and don't care,....and are afraid to try the "low line SS fill" method, then forget the whole "SS check" thing.
I myself think this whole SS thing has gotten blown way out of porportion. It works great for me, and anymore, thats all I care Roll Eyes

I'm outta here !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #110 - 08/12/11 at 05:28:47

All oil is checked cold,Thats the way it is,Don't worry were the oil is when hot,I think the Japs figured out that stuff years ago.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #111 - 08/12/11 at 06:44:30

Ralfyguy has just now rediscovered the points made two side stand wars back that caused the HOT CHECK to come into being -- oil expands, our bikes are different from each other and the side stands are not at the same angle.  Welcome to 3 months ago, you are finally catching up with the discussion.

And yes, Ralfyguy, ideally you might want half a glass empty on a hot test but trouble doesn't start until a full glass is seen -- you need to get that particular point right or else you are just lobbing hand grenades into the discussion (which in a side stand war is normal enough behavior , but the other folks simply need to recognize what that smoking knobby oval form means when it lands at their feet).  

Routy is upset that I take conservative positions on these things, this one being that logically, you don't want your oil level getting up into your crank space above the oil shelf.  You can get away with it short term, we all do each time we hit the brakes going down hill -- but conservatively you don't want to do it all the time.  

Another conservative point that Routy may not like  -- once the oil is over the window in the hot test you simply don't know how high it really goes.  Over the window is "unmonitored territory".

Now, the fact nobody is seeing copious amounts of oil in their air boxes does tend to support Routy's position that this may not be harmful, but I still can't recommend people going past a full window on a hot test -- jest can't do it.   Conservative, you know.

===============

What is a list member to do?  

If you want to side stand, do the Hot Test once on your bike to see what the angle of your side stand combined with the expansion rate of your favorite oil really really does.  Two folks have seen that they shouldn't side stand on their bikes out of the dozen or so who are currently doing it.

heck if somebody wasn't going to fail the test why would we be saying you need to do it ....

Interesting point discovered this time around the barn, if you added a side stand puck to your side stand (something the folks down South need in the asphalt softening hot summer months anyway) you would pick up some hot test clearance.    

Roll Eyes    Jest think of it as carrying your wooden block around with you all the time ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #112 - 08/12/11 at 07:42:54

Well as a natural born German, my English might be just insufficient to fully understand the discussions. So since I also don't like to participate in wars, I should just keep to myself and just read. I'm not particularly a grenade launcher either. So far my bike is doing ok, so it can't all be wrong how I treat it.  Smiley

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #113 - 08/12/11 at 08:02:58

ralfyguy wrote on 08/12/11 at 07:42:54:
......So far my bike is doing ok, so it can't all be wrong how I treat it.  Smiley

Yes, these bikes sure can take a lot of abuse, eh?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #114 - 08/12/11 at 08:10:56

"My side stand puck is a 4" long, 1" wide,  1/2" thick super magnet that I use to trip stop light sensors"

That is awesome. Can you post a pic of that, or point to one?

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #115 - 08/12/11 at 08:52:33

Gyrobob wrote on 08/12/11 at 08:02:58:
......So far my bike is doing ok, so it can't all be wrong how I treat it.  Smiley

Why you mean I abuse mine?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #116 - 08/12/11 at 09:04:37

SoE,  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #117 - 08/12/11 at 11:58:41

ralfyguy wrote on 08/12/11 at 08:52:33:
Gyrobob wrote on 08/12/11 at 08:02:58:

Why you mean I abuse mine?

I'm not sure I understand.

Are you saying you abuse your bike?

Or are you saying you think I think you abuse your bike?

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #118 - 08/12/11 at 12:50:02

It sounded like that you might think I abuse mine. I bought my '06 three years ago with 3,000 miles on it. It has now 16,000 on it and it runs better than ever. It uses 1/2pt of Rotella T6 over 1,500 miles and most of those miles are superslab 75+ mph most of the time. And the summers in Oklahoma are hot. She's strong enough to get up to highway speeds even with my wife on the back. Strong enough that on acceleration the 100lbs more are hardly making a difference. So I think the bike is still in great shape.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #119 - 08/12/11 at 13:13:11

ralfyguy wrote on 08/12/11 at 12:50:02:
It sounded like that you might think I abuse mine. I bought my '06 three years ago with 3,000 miles on it. It has now 16,000 on it and it runs better than ever. It uses 1/2pt of Rotella T6 over 1,500 miles and most of those miles are superslab 75+ mph most of the time. And the summers in Oklahoma are hot. She's strong enough to get up to highway speeds even with my wife on the back. Strong enough that on acceleration the 100lbs more are hardly making a difference. So I think the bike is still in great shape.

Sounds typical of this bike.  They are great machines, eh?  Glad you are having a good time with it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 02:40:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › side stand oil method

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.