Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Poll Poll
Question: Side Stand Oil Method -- do you or don't you?

Yep, I do it on the sidestand
Nope, I balance it vertical using .....
.... my manservant, Emanuel Dexterity
.... a friend, buxom female preferably
.... a brick, a block of wood, other thick item
.... a stick *(Sluggo can explain it)
Remove timing port, fill till it comes out (V1)
.... I don't ever have to check it (Bill)

« Last Modified by: verslagen1 on: 07/31/11 at 20:17:02 »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print
side stand oil method (Read 1896 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: side stand oil method
Reply #90 - 08/09/11 at 17:17:17

Put the handle bars straight, in gear,Take left hand on seat and pull it straight up and check the window,Its as easy as falling off a log.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #91 - 08/09/11 at 18:05:09

bill67 wrote on 08/09/11 at 17:17:17:
Put the handle bars straight, in gear,Take left hand on seat and pull it straight up and check the window,Its as easy as falling off a log.

Bill, It ain't gonna happen over here, ok !

It appears that most the bikes are doing just fine using SS oil level.
And whosever isn't, don't do it,....simple as that.
This ain't anything new to me. I been doin it this way for 2 yrs, and the previous owner did it the same way.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #92 - 08/09/11 at 18:22:12

I quit worrying about it with mine years ago. 2 quarts 15W40 or 20W50 at filter/oil change. Add some if it has been leaking more than it should. Add a cup or two if the top end gets noisy.

It's just an AJS or Matchless with crappier electrical parts.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #93 - 08/09/11 at 20:08:30

Same as on older cars, the pcv valve (positive crankcase ventilation), opens and closes as the blowby gases pulse, as Gyrobob said. Also, in the system is the breather filter. Blowby gases are routed out the valve cover, through the breather filter (to filter out any blowby oil), and into the air cleaner, thus recirculating the blowby gases back into the intake. On our bikes, there is no PCV valve and no breather filter. It's a free flowing system, but accomplishes the same thing. the oil in ours tends to settle in the airbox, and the gases get recirculated back into the carb. So if you have any blowby, you're gonna have some oil in the airbox. Even if you're not overfilled.
I use the 2.5 Qt. method. On SS, it's at bottom of glass. Vertical, it's about 2/3 way up. I haven't done the hot test, or even the warm test. I trust that on my bike, 2.5 Qts. is the right amount. I don't have any oil in my airbox.

Smiley

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #94 - 08/09/11 at 21:09:18

We don't have a PCV valve on our bikes, we have a wad of screen mesh up in the head cover that keeps liquid oil splash out of the huff tube.  The huff tube runs straight down to the protected side of the air filter and then dumps the vapors back through the carb, with the ugly emulsified liquid ooze shite going down the airbox drain tube that we open up when we do an oil change.

Gross over oiling goes out the huff tube and down the airbox dump tube -- but apparently what the sidestand folks are saying is that our side stand levels are not resulting in any oil in the airbox.

========================

The HOT TEST is intended for you to know where your bike's oil level winds up while it is being ridden and while the oil is fully expanded.  Some of you are getting educated on where you oil really runs at, which is right below the oil shelf that protects the spinning crankshaft.  The oil shelf is right over the top edge of the oil window, so a full window of oil during the HOT TEST signals too much oil -- any air space seen in the window during the HOT TEST indicates the HOT TEST oil level is acceptable.  

Remember, a half window clear is the "ideal condition" and a full dark window is "fails test".   Don't let Ralfyguy go get you all confused again.

Frothing -- some folks are reporting bubbles on their hot test.  This is NEW and it is good information to know about.  

A few bubbles are meaningless, but real frothing is bad, it is liquid oil in bulk getting churned into an air filled mass by gears and cranks and suchlike stuff.  Frothing is not a few bubbles, it is a large mass of bubbles that slowly reduces and goes solid after you cut the bike off.

I have never seen frothing.   I use Rot Syn and I don't think it believes in frothing.   I do see a mist/rain of oil that makes judging the HOT TEST oil window level a get a flashlight and get down on a blanket on your elbows and study it for a few minutes event, but I know I have a partial window condition while the bike is running, so I am not overfilled.

What most of you are reporting is about the same thing I see (which is OK) with the exception of RL153 who is reporting a solid dark filled window during hot test.   He says he's doing the HOT TEST right, but something's wrong with his set up --- you don't set an oil window level just peeping over the bottom window edge cold on the side stand and then see a solid window of oil idling held vertical during HOT TEST -- not unless you are running forward controls or have a really bent side stand swing arm.

=================

So far I see nothing wrong with the "oil peeking over the edge of the window while cold on the side stand" trick -- providing you do your HOT TEST at least once and KNOW where your running oil level really is for the oil and oil window side stand level you are now using.

I think the folks who are going mid window or higher on the side stand are pushing it a bit, but so far they say they have nothing going out their huff tubes to their air boxes, so I cannot biatch that they are doing something stone evil to their bikes.  

(I wouldn't do it personally but Informed People making informed choices about their own bikes -- that is what this list is about)

==================

Froth people -- if you got real frothing you got an issue.   Froth is BAD NEWS as froth doesn't lube like solid oil does, the oil film is interrupted by the air content and you could be getting some contact through your oil film on your plain bearings up in the head.

Frothing is the original mass of oil getting bulked up with air bubbles, which increases the mass and puts more into the gears, which makes more froth which increases the mass yet again .... frothing is bad news and if you got frothing I'd change oil brand or oil levels or something to get it to stop.

Ball bearings -- would they care all that much about froth?  
(this is a question because I don't know the answer)

« Last Edit: 08/10/11 at 08:54:36 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #95 - 08/09/11 at 22:42:14

Looks OK to me.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #96 - 08/09/11 at 22:55:20

Looks a lot better than mine does.  Now that you got Ralfyguy out of your head do you still have any issues with your hot test?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #97 - 08/10/11 at 08:33:19

A little oil got used/redistributed since my change so now I can't see it in the window when on the side stand. So there's a little less in there than last week.

I'll do another hot test when I get home from work tonight. After idling on I90 for 20 minutes, it'll be nice and hot.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #98 - 08/10/11 at 09:01:44

Neat thing about the side stand method that you come to appreciate as your bike gets older and uses more oil is that when it gets low, you just rock it a bit towards vertical and if the window shows oil you KNOW you have enough oil in there.    

Actually you have more real oil reserve that a vertical person has when he's freshly topped up .....

You can roll towards vertical at any time and actually see your extra reserve of oil and KNOW you are in no danger of actually running low.

Wink

People who vertical, they have to worry when their oil gets low and they should, their bikes are in mortal danger if the oil shows low and quite a few engines around here have been hurt by unintentional low oil levels that resulted from a little bit of inattention combined with the use of the Suzuki vertical oil check method.   When I did vertical, I carried a quart of oil with me on any sort of trip and I had to use it several times ...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #99 - 08/10/11 at 10:16:04

What's your definition of low (mortal)? Half the glass, low mark or below that when checked cold and vertical?

IP Logged
Sunchasers

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks the Rockies!

Northern Colorado
Reply #100 - 08/10/11 at 10:35:41

Just curious... do any of the SS people check the oil on their 4-wheel type vehicles on an incline or decline??  Huh

I have no strong opinion either way, SS or vertical.  Actually use both methods off and on, but predominantly use vertical.   Smiley

1987 LS650P, Blue/Purple, stock w/ white spacer mod, 2-1/4 turns, Raptor petcock, seat ht. mod, Verslavy, Routys F.C., 8300 mi
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #101 - 08/10/11 at 10:50:25

OF ,I rechecked my oil with the hot test. I wasn't completly level the first time ,but this time I tried putting a level on the starter ,which is a great idea that someone here had. This time with the high idle ,there was a bubble of air in the top 1/4 of the glass ,but on low idle the glass is still full of oil . I've gone about 500 miles with the oil this way ,and I just checked my drain plug , there was around a teaspoon of oil in it.My garage floor is basically level for the side stand method ,but I couldn't be sure if the previous owner of the bike transported it the way you mentioned . I'll probably just leave it till the next oil change ,in october ,and then ,refill it with a little less . Thanks for your input.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #102 - 08/10/11 at 11:43:35

Ralfyguy,

"Mortal Low" is when you use the vertical method but get real slack about doing the check (or your bike finally starts using oil and you didn't catch that it first started) and when you do do the vertical check you don't see any oil in the window at all.       aw shite !!

When you do go do the vertical Road Runner check and find you have to add nearly a quart of oil then you have been running at "Mortal Low" levels and have likely been sucking some air at the oil pump when you hit the brakes, etc and rocked the oil mass forward away from the pump intake.

==================

Now, why do our bikes just suddenly start using oil?  

We have had enough instances of pistons getting sudden galling (which puts the rings in a groove bind and causes mild smoking) to say we have that as an occasional issue that we can certainly point at.  

This is an "any mileage" issue completely apart from the 45,000+ piston slap which is pure and simple wear over time.

May I propose a theory for this sudden galling -- Serobot's Theorum, with some practical expansions.

Serobot (who has written the definitive Tech Post on the subject) theorizes that:

1/3 of the folks on the list have had a vac petcock go bad on them
1/3 of the folks who are just waiting for it to happen to them,
1/3 of the folks who (because of how little and how slow they ride) may never have it happen to them.   They never exceed the vac petcock trickle flow rate.

My extension on his theory is simple -- those that ride hardest will have the vac petcock starve their engine at speed and when their float bowl level gets low their mixture leans out which can cause their piston to overheat and gall or to cause rapid piston wear.

(or you name the screw up that flows from it, none of them are good news)

So, I say sudden onset oil consumption has an assignable cause -- that you had a vac petcock event at speed and "running lean" damaged your engine some.

Now, for reluctant confirmation of this theorum, we suggest a person who is a high speed rider, who has two Savages that both became NOTORIOUS oil users, who investigated oils in great detail to see if he could relieve his problems and he freely admits he has had high speed vac petcock episodes before that caused him to replace hoses multiple times and to put rebuild kits into his vac petcocks.  

Note:  he has recently totally rebuilt one of his engines twice and it is currently in great shape.   He now has a virgin test bed and as of now he is on alert to this potential oil consumption root cause.

Verslagen, when your rebuilt vac petcock craps out on your fresh engine bike for the very first time, keep a lookout for sudden onset oil consumption to follow soon thereafter.

Grin    Grin    Grin    Grin

« Last Edit: 08/10/11 at 19:31:34 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #103 - 08/10/11 at 21:51:41

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/09/11 at 22:55:20:

Looks a lot better than mine does.  Now that you got Ralfyguy out of your head do you still have any issues with your hot test?

When cold and on the side stand, it's just below the sight glass.
When hot and vertical (approximated), it's just at the top of the sight glass. Some bubbles, but no froth.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #104 - 08/11/11 at 04:36:55

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 08/10/11 at 21:51:41:
Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/09/11 at 22:55:20:

When cold and on the side stand, it's just below the sight glass.
When hot and vertical (approximated), it's just at the top of the sight glass. Some bubbles, but no froth.

-D. Dwarf

See, now I'm confused again...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 12:31:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › side stand oil method

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.