Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
rebuild kit??? (vac petcock partial seizure) (Read 258 times)
dystormy79a
YaBB Newbies

charlotte tn
rebuild kit??? (vac petcock partial seizure)
07/28/11 at 17:47:21

is there anywhere that has a rebuild kit for the savage im needing to rebuild my motor and i am wanting to replace all bearings seals rings ect... just wondering if there was a full kit or am i going to have to get all the parts seperate

thanks

« Last Edit: 08/15/11 at 08:17:27 by Oldfeller--FSO »  
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Re: rebuild kit????
Reply #1 - 07/28/11 at 19:09:09

pretty much gunna have to do it peice by piece. You can get a pretty good gasket set from bikebandit and the rest you will have to find, it wont be hard, its not a big bike.  Wink

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 07/29/11 at 10:33:05

dystormy79a wrote on 07/28/11 at 17:47:21:
is there anywhere that has a rebuild kit for the savage im needing to rebuild my motor and i am wanting to replace all bearings seals rings ect... just wondering if there was a full kit or am i going to have to get all the parts seperate

thanks

What is your definition of a "rebuild" ??  Are you going to replace gaskets, rings, and do a valve job,.... or are you going to try to make it all new inside?

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
dystormy79a
YaBB Newbies

charlotte tn
Reply #3 - 07/29/11 at 19:57:22

pretty much everything new but the piston unless the make a high compression piston for my motor. i don't really want to bore it out keep it pretty much stock. i plan on doing a port and polish and a valve job. new spring tensioner (extended one) and a few other things.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 07/29/11 at 21:35:45

Wiseco makes a hi comp piston sorta for our bike.
only smallest size is 95mm, a 1mm overbore.
and I would recommend a nickosil cylinder treatment if you want long life.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1266928992/0

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1291516932

WWW   IP Logged
dystormy79a
YaBB Newbies

charlotte tn
Reply #5 - 08/14/11 at 23:57:09

what would you recommend getting to rebuild my motor. i know rings and gaskets for the head. but should i go ahead and put new bearings in the lower part? this will be my first motorcycle motor rebuild. everything that i  found on bikebandit is about 550 does that sound about right?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/15/11 at 01:29:21

Why does it need rebuil;t? Run low on oil? How many miles on it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dystormy79a
YaBB Newbies

charlotte tn
Reply #7 - 08/15/11 at 02:50:30

from what i can tell the petcock went bad and flooded the oil with gas. its not locked up completely but not far from it

IP Logged
Drifter

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/15/11 at 06:22:34

I had this happen to my bike, drain the oil gas mixture out of the engine leave the drain plug and fill cap open for a couple of days so the fuel will evaporate then put in some cheap oil run the bike for a few minutes so it gets hot....drain that oil out put in some good stuff and your done. I had NO damage to my bike when this happened.  Smiley

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 08/15/11 at 07:49:54

Stormy, when a vac petcock does  a dumper into your sump the ball bearings all around the inside of the engine are generally unaffected.  Ball bearings can use the thinner film of the gas/oil mixture jest fine, they do it at 50:1 gas to oil ratios in two stroke engines all the time.

(admittedly the gas/oil mist under back stroke compression is helped out by the post combustion residues from previous strokes, but it ain't a bath of solid oil by anybody's guesstimation)

Stormy, drain your oil and replace it and see if you can get your engine to run again.   Likely it will be a little stiff at first, but it may even up and you might not have to do a full teardown just yet -- the piston might be slightly scuffed right up in the ring area but there apparently are a lot of them are running around that way for 20-30,000 more miles.  They just use a little bit of oil every month now that they didn't before.  

We call it "sudden onset oil consumption" and we have apparently lived with it for years now and it is a common enough ailment here on the list.

============

Verslagen,  I find I should have kept a written list of the names of the vac petcock sump dumpers -- I think I see one new one and one old one here, plus the one who is currently enjoying the pirate talk.

Let's go with conservative on the count then, 5+2 additional = seven vac petcock sump events.

=================

Drifter, when did your bike first start using oil?   Do you remember, can you sorta pinpoint the time for us?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
dystormy79a
YaBB Newbies

charlotte tn
Re: rebuild kit??? (vac petcock partial seizure)
Reply #10 - 08/16/11 at 06:00:02

that would be great if thats all i have to do. ill try and see what happens this weekend. im going to keep my fingers crossed  Smiley

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 08/16/11 at 08:14:48

Read all of this tech thread, you still have to fix your petcock issue as well as getting your engine run in again.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1251932429

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #12 - 08/16/11 at 17:42:30

dystormy79a wrote on 08/16/11 at 06:00:02:
that would be great if thats all i have to do. ill try and see what happens this weekend. im going to keep my fingers crossed  Smiley

The "easy way out" is usually not a good idea, but you have nothing to lose. An oil change is simple and cheap compared to a rebuild. If it runs, I would stay close and take it easy on the revs till you see if it works. And replace the petcock with a Raptor if you like. 5LP 24500-01-00. Less than $25.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 19:28:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rebuild kit??? (vac petcock partial seizure)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.