front brake problem (Read 86 times)
zx6chris
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

dorset england
front brake problem
08/16/11 at 12:47:27

hi all iv got an 86 savage and have stripped it down  to restor it quite a few years ago i replace the insids of the master cylinder and had a real big hassel trying to bleed it some times it would drag really badly and other times it would be really week now iv stripped the bike to restor it i had a look at the master cylinder and with it held in a vice and the top of i put fluid and no brake line was attatched i could pump the leaver and nothing would come out even it i didnt touch it nothing would come out so i took the insides out and the looked ok they have not really been used so iv cleaned it all up and still nothing it dont matter how i pump the leaver it just dont work could it be the barrel or the intunals??any help would be great cheers

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: front brake problem
Reply #1 - 08/16/11 at 13:16:44

Chris,

I can't really determine what you have done to your master cylinder from your post.   It sounds like you may have tried to install a master cylinder piston/cup set and it isn't working correctly at all.  

expanded view:

http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID/26/Type/FRONT_MASTER_CYLINDER_LS650P_198...

Sorry we couldn't figure out what you did incorrectly from the contents of your post.    

The only thing I could suggest that you try is to put your finger over the exit threaded fitting (the one the hose goes to) and hold it there while you pump the lever a few times.   This will give you a finger meat based "one way valve" to help you prime your rebuilt master cylinder.

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
zx6chris
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

dorset england
Reply #2 - 08/16/11 at 13:23:16

lol yeah its not that clear now iv read it back

what i have done is a few years ago i fitted  a new master cylinder repare kit. and had a few problems getting it to bleed up, so now i have the whole bike stripped, i started on the front brake system and have found its not pumping any fluid at all

as u can see there is fluid in there and nothing is comming out

IP Logged
zx6chris
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

dorset england
Reply #3 - 08/16/11 at 13:26:25

it should let some fluid through. i dont know if the bits i have replaces have failed or if i fitted them wrong

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 08/16/11 at 13:27:34

Check the expanded parts diagram above to make sure all the parts are present and correctly oriented and in the right order.

The only other thing I could suggest that you try is to put your finger over the exit threaded fitting (the one the hose goes to) and hold it there while you pump the lever a few times.   This will give you a finger meat based "one way valve" to help you prime your rebuilt master cylinder.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
zx6chris
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

dorset england
Reply #5 - 08/16/11 at 13:33:37

i did  put my finger over the end and pumped the leaver to see if there was any presure and there was non and all i got was small bubbles comming up from the 2 tiny holes in side

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #6 - 08/16/11 at 15:10:30

Ya there's not much to it, parts wise. If you're sure you have all the right parts in there, in the right order, then do the finger over the hole and pump thing again. Do it until you have no bubbles coming from the tiny holes. As long as bubbles are still coming out, there is still air in there. Remember to keep your finger tight on the hole while pumping. Once you get the master completely bled, then it should gravity bleed out the hole where the line hooks up. Don't let the fluid get too low or you will suck more air in there and have to start all over again.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/16/11 at 15:33:43

Suction on the bleed nipple,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 08/16/11 at 17:01:21

Justin, he has the master cylinder up on the bench not attached to anything so he can only suck on the treaded fitting coming from the end of the master cylinder.

Try this, squeeze the lever, put your finger over the exit hole then let the lever return while blocked, when lever fully is out remove the finger,  then squeeze the lever, put finger over hole then let the lever return while blocked,  when lever fully is out remove finger,  squeeze lever, put finger over hole then let the lever return while blocked,  when lever fully is out remove finger,  squeeze lever, put finger over hole then let the lever return while blocked.   You are trying to suck some fluid into the piston/cylinder by doing this.

Jusin is right -- some suction may be needed.  You are just moving air back and forth with the rubber cup right now instead of pumping any fluid.   It is working a tiny bit -- every little bubble you see is a tiny bit of fluid getting into the piston and cup and a tiny bit of air leaving.

Are you SURE you have the piston cup lip pointing in the right direction and all the parts are there and in the correct order?

Are you SURE all the drilled passageways in the master cylinder casting are clean, open and not blocked with corrosion or gorp?

« Last Edit: 08/17/11 at 01:42:33 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 15:22:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › front brake problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.