Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Head repair at the machine shop (Read 129 times)
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Head repair at the machine shop
07/27/11 at 22:23:04

Has anyone actually had their head repaired at a machine shop from excessive wear on the cam journals? I have been trying to repair my head using sand paper on a surface plate (precision ground stone plate) and a 20mm reamer (from MSC $58) and I still have to take a lot more material (0.005-0.006") out of the head just to get the clearance back to spec on the main 25mm journal.

I am curious how much the repair cost. My machine shop turned down the  work because the cam is in a blind hole and not a through hole with plugs on either side. That makes it not possible to use the typical boring bars used to repair journals and line bores. Custom bushings and boring bars will need to be made or purchased. Anyway, I've decided to take this on myself. I guess I better put out for the $65 25mm reamer now. My only fear now is that the geometry of the rockers will have changed so much that the tappets may slip off the valves and lock open, but I will be sure to check em. Oh yeah and the cam chain is going to be a tad too long now as well....but we are only taking 0.010-0.020" excess length for the tensioner to take up.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Head repair at the machine shop
Reply #1 - 07/27/11 at 23:17:30

I went thru the cam chain geometry awhile ago, and calculated the for every 0.01" of chain stretch you'd have 1° of cam retardation.

If you're dropping the cam in the head by .01 to .02, then you're retarding the timing by 1 to 2°.

I would think those journals would need to be concentric by less than a .001".  I would buy the 25mm reamer and have it stepped down to 20mm

WWW   IP Logged
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Reply #2 - 07/28/11 at 08:06:13

hmmm 2 degrees of retard. Sounds like I need to make the cam gear adjustable. Who knows what I need with this Web cam and 2mm overbore. I'm going to go ahead and confirm your calculation!

IP Logged
buttgoat1
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/28/11 at 09:49:41

advancing a cam is sposed to improve torque.
We would not notice a small drop in torque as the chain stretches since we have plenty.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 07/28/11 at 19:50:39

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1268452150

You cannot use two separate reamers to do the two separate surfaces as they will not line up when you are done (ask me how I know).

Read this and remember -- this was 8 months of effort (several different methods were mocked/attempted before settling on this)

It was the accumulation of several years worth of cam journal fixes by a number of people.

Line up of the pins is critical -- mark your pins so you put them back exactly as they came out.  Correct end into the head, witness marks lined back up exactly ....

Keep your 20mm reamer, it will be useful.  

Don't bother buying the 25mm unless you do like Verslagen said, get it precision stepped down to 20mm on a cylindrical wet grinder by a toolmaker.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Reply #5 - 07/28/11 at 21:31:34

I agree with the single tool approach, unfortunately I didn't start that way. I will be spending my entire Saturday all on set up and it won't be a 25mm reamer...boring bar. I know, still not as good as a stepped reamer.

IP Logged
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Reply #6 - 07/30/11 at 20:23:29

Phase 1 complete. Cam cover mating surfaces decked flat and parallel to the deck surface. Only took 8 hours today. Only like cutting open a skull. The brain surgery is the tricky part. And now to think about phase 2 for a while before the attempt.

Pretty satisfied that my rocker arm pins are perfectly parallel to the newly machined surfaces.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 22:20:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head repair at the machine shop

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.