Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage exhaust removal? (Read 280 times)
kidsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

galveston
Savage exhaust removal?
07/19/11 at 19:37:48

i just got a 2002 suzuki savage which im turning into a bobber...im wanting to take the muffler completely off to give it an extra umph....if i do this does it effect engine performance? long term problems? overheating? please help if you can

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Savage exhaust removal?
Reply #1 - 07/19/11 at 21:38:22

too loud,
no back pressure, too hard to tune
no back pressure, no low end torque

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 07/20/11 at 02:56:42

kidsavage wrote on 07/19/11 at 19:37:48:
i just got a 2002 suzuki savage which im turning into a bobber...im wanting to take the muffler completely off to give it an extra umph....if i do this does it effect engine performance? long term problems? overheating? please help if you can

Verslagen1 knows of what he speaks.

Yes, the stock exhaust weighs a ton.  The header alone weighs 10 pounds -- it is triple wall tubing.

He says too loud,.. very true,... damages your hearing over time and pisses off the public -- a bad thing for all of us

If you do nothing to the rest of the bike, it will run poorly, to say the least.  

If you really do want to make your exhaust fit your bobber persona, please use a muffler of some sort.  The public will be happy, and you will have a fighting chance of the bike running as well as a stocker,.. assuming you want to adopt carb tuning as a new hobby.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #3 - 07/20/11 at 05:24:27

I just went through the same thing. I was looking at really short "mufflers" with almost no baffle or packing, but I went with a smaller Harley muffler. Glad I did. It's smaller and lighter than the stock, and it sounds nicer without ripping holes in the atmosphere & pissing off my neighbors with the new baby.
Find a smaller muffler and add a cone air filter and you will probably like the sound just fine. And you may not have to mess with the carb at all.

IP Logged
kidsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

galveston
Reply #4 - 07/20/11 at 10:59:34

thanks for the tips...now what about if i kept my save exhaust but grinded out the baffle? still the stock exhaust but with a meaner sound

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #5 - 07/20/11 at 11:39:07

FWIW, grab a HD takeoff...they're a dime a dozen and make a significant improvement in both appearance and sound (entirely subjective, I know)

If you insist on hanging onto the stock anchor for an exhaust, there are a few users on here that have had good luck drilling out the back plate in a couple different fashions to get acceptable improvements in sound, but they still weigh a ton.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #6 - 07/20/11 at 18:16:45

+1 on that.

I had a some holes drilled in my stock muffler by the previous owner. The HD muffler still sounds way better.

IP Logged
kidsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

galveston
Reply #7 - 07/20/11 at 19:24:15

so what is the exhaust name and where can i find it?

IP Logged
Markusublime
YaBB Newbies

Thumpin through the
great white north.

Ontario,Canada
Reply #8 - 07/20/11 at 21:14:48

You can buy a Harley muffler on eBay.here's a great post showing the different mufflers.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1298689417

Loud pipes save lives
  IP Logged
Edgar

Are you a lucky
little lady in the
city of light?

San Diego
Reply #9 - 07/21/11 at 04:23:22

SoE wrote on 07/20/11 at 05:24:27:
Find a smaller muffler and add a cone air filter and you will probably like the sound just fine. And you may not have to mess with the carb at all.

Does a k&n cone style filter change the sound on a motorcycle like an air intake system in a car?

Stay Frosty.
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #10 - 07/21/11 at 09:41:28

Edgar wrote on 07/21/11 at 04:23:22:
SoE wrote on 07/20/11 at 05:24:27:

Does a k&n cone style filter change the sound on a motorcycle like an air intake system in a car?

The exhaust will not really change in sound but you will be able to hear the carb sucking air.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #11 - 07/21/11 at 09:42:33

verslagen1 wrote on 07/19/11 at 21:38:22:
too loud,
no back pressure, too hard to tune
no back pressure, no low end torque

+1

ran my bike for about 1000 miles with little to no baffle and I never could get her to run right.

IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #12 - 07/21/11 at 12:17:42

Yep, it does. It gives a slightly "throatier" sound (to quote someone else on the forum). I like it.

IP Logged
kidsavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

galveston
Reply #13 - 07/21/11 at 17:41:02

ok so i am thinkin of gettin a harley dyna muffler....however i just got my carb rebuilt due to sputtering and stalling...if i get this new muffler on would i have to retune the barb? jets?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 07/21/11 at 18:16:33

SoE wrote on 07/21/11 at 12:17:42:

Yep, it does. It gives a slightly "throatier" sound (to quote someone else on the forum). I like it.

I went to school with a guy who ran just screens on his carbs mainly because he loved the intake sound, although he tried to make us believe he did it for more performance -- freer flowing than a paper filter.  The sucking/inhaling noise was loud and throaty.  Very machine-like.  They looked sorta like this:

Whether or not the screens were less restrictive is not known.  At first glance they'd seem less restrictive.

We kidded him about the lousy filtration and he said things like, "There ain't no friggin dust in Palo Alto!!, and these things will strain out the friggin bugs and gravel!"

(he didn't say "friggin")

Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: 07/22/11 at 04:02:29 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 22:27:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage exhaust removal?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.