Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Motorcycle Title Question (Read 126 times)
mojo
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW MO
Motorcycle Title Question
07/17/11 at 20:41:58

Saw a couple bikes advertised on Craigslist with a salvage title (one was a dealer).  What are the pro's and con's of buying one with a salvage title?

tks.............mojo

"Never Say Never"
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Motorcycle Title Question
Reply #1 - 07/17/11 at 21:07:06

Look, you call them what you wanna call them, I call them motorcycles,, thats their title..

A salvage title says one thing,,

Its been totaled ,  If you buy it, buy it cheap,. cuz youre gonna sell it for cheap.

& check the frame real careful,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 07/17/11 at 21:31:56

check with your insurance company, I think they will only insure for liability.

some states will give you a hard time to register too.  so check them too.

WWW   IP Logged
AZSGT

2006 Bobber

Mesa, AZ
Reply #3 - 07/17/11 at 22:47:15

As posted above, Salvage Title only means the bike was totaled out and repaired. Doesn't mean it is not still worth owning. But plan on owning it because you will get less (considerably) on resale.

As far as title or registration goes, here in AZ they will do an inspection to make sure the vehicle is safe for the road, other than that they don't give much trouble. Just be sure to give it a really good once over, or better yet have a mechanic do it, so at least you know it is good to go.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #4 - 07/17/11 at 23:09:34

My bike title states rebuilt. You
would never know it
to look at her that she was ever in a
wreck let alone considered to be a salvage
bike. Oh she has a scrape here and there,
yet that can be found on most bikes.
She had to be inspected once she was
repaired by the WSP..kim

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 07/17/11 at 23:48:56

With the price of dealer replacement parts, a bike can be "legally" totaled very easily... just a dink in the tank, and the replacement can be $400 to $600 ... scuffed fender, $200, plastic doo-daa cover, $200... etc... + labor... and it's cheaper for the insurance to total it out...
You need to be sure the frame is straight, and no stress fractures.  Ride it, see that it tracks straight, and look at the welds at the steering head, swingarm, and triangle joints... inspect engine cases...
Should cost 60% or less of blue book,.. because resale will be low...

I'd rather buy one that's not been fixed up,.. because you can mentally total up the visual damage, and see that it adds up to totaled...

My Yamaha xt225 was a salvage title... I bought it for $1400, rode it 16k miles, and sold it for $1600... no problems...

I totaled my Ninja myself,... brought it home before it was reported as crashed... fixed it up myself and sold it.  No salvage title...
(I know,.. I'm bad)... but I know if it's sound or not.  (I told the buyer how it went down, what was repaired, and how)...
That bike was still on the road 4 years later, 'cause I saw it..
Point is,.. buying used, is a pig in a poke... Treat every used bike you look at as if it's been crashed...
Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #6 - 07/18/11 at 06:40:00

A Salvage Title scares some people away, so it is impossible to sell or hard to sale. And it will probably sell for less. My bike was wrecked and repaired before I bought it, but it had the regular title so Serowbot may not be all that bad. They told me and I bought it as is, which was pretty nice. Also, knowing Serowbot, it was probably better than when he got it. There may be legalities to follow that are different from state to state. I would be up front in selling it as I always do, and let them decide. The title has "Salvage" stamped on it. That's as up front as you can get, imo.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #7 - 07/18/11 at 06:54:18

I bought my savage a couple of months ago and it is a salvage title bike.  Its a 2006 bike with 8k miles but was apparently rebuilt on a 1986 frame so that's what its titled as, an 86.  I had seen it on CL for a while at $1500 and finally called.  The guy said he got lots of calls but no one would come to look when he said it was a salvage title.  I took a friend with me who has owned and worked on lots of bikes too look at it and he was impressed with it.  I offered the guy $1200 a few days later and he took it!

I called the tag office first and they said as long as it has a blue title it was no different to tag.  The blue title meant it had been inspected and all the retitling fees had been paid.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
adberns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 07/18/11 at 09:06:46

I believe in most states, a "salvaged" vehicle is one that had a certain amount of damage.  Usually the insurance company takes the vehicles when they are salvaged, but as noted by Serowbot, sometimes you can fix the vehicle yourself.  Technically, many states will still require you mark this on your title, making it a salvage.  As others said, doesn't take much to "salvage" a bike.  Besides lowering the resale, I wouldn't let it scare me away from buying a bike.  Just inspect thoroughly, as you should any bike.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 07/18/11 at 14:55:41

If you own a car & it gets totaled, you can buy it from the insurance company for what theyd get for it from the salvage yard.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:25:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Motorcycle Title Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.