Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help calm my tight valve fear? (Read 84 times)
adberns
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Help calm my tight valve fear?
07/18/11 at 09:00:18

Hi, all -

as you read from my story, I adjusted valves this weekend.  Went pretty well, thanks to all the info here.  Before, the cam chain tensioner was shot, so it was loud.  Now, it's quiet.  Like really quiet.  I can hear a very slight ticking on the top end.  We adjusted the valves to 0.004.  Rotated the engine multiple times and rechecked.  They were all easy to get a 0.004 in to (no binding, etc.).

With everyone talking about tappy valves, I am now worried that they are overtightened.  Wouldn't we really have had to mess up to overtighten them, being as we re-checked?  Are valves just normally pretty quiet when in spec, just barely audible over the exhaust?

Another question - can I ride without a front fender, or does it help hold forks in place?

Thanks!
Andy

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Help calm my tight valve fear?
Reply #1 - 07/18/11 at 09:40:53

Unless you notice a loss of power, I'd say you got the valves dead-on perfect.

You shouldn't have any problems running without a fender (apart from the mud of course).  The forks flex pretty bad with or without the fender.... psst.. fork brace  Wink

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #2 - 07/18/11 at 10:00:58

if they are in spec, they are in spec. no worries.

I think a bunch of people run without the front fender. If you ride when it is wet you'll get a bunch of crap in your face though.

valves get louder the hotter the bike gets, and hearing them over the exhaust depends on what kind of exhaust you have. Ride around for a while to get the engine nice and warm, then lean down and see if you can hear them then. Typically people get more concerned when they hear strange ticking noises from engines than when they don't. if it works and doesn't make noise, maybe you just got a special bike  Wink

hmm... or you need hearing aids  Grin

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #3 - 07/18/11 at 14:19:32

My '87 with 20k is loud as hell IMO. I can hear the valve train over the HD, no baffle muffler, plain as day. Always have. But remember, I had nightmare head issues; had head replaced with, I assume, a junkyard head. Has made lots of noise ever since. And it REALLY makes a lot of noise now--other noises, since I bashed in the bottom of the motor, riding over that big rock.
But after listening to multiple Savages on Youtube, while checking out Savage exhausts, a lot of them sounded worse than mine. So I assume some of it is normal.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:21:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Help calm my tight valve fear?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.