Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
potential s40 purchase? (Read 233 times)
jordan325ic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

potential s40 purchase?
07/10/11 at 07:10:30

Just got back from a motorcycle trip to South America, and looking for a new bike to replace my beloved ninja 250. Came back broke, so money is tight.

I'm looking at an interesting bike right now.

2006 s40, 40k(!) miles, runs but cam chain tensioner needs replacing.
$800.

I've got the tools and the time, so I'm not afraid of replacing the cam chain tensioner. My questions are:

Is 40,000 nearing the end of the life of the engine? This will be my daily driver and will probably log 10,000 a year, and some road trips. It would be nice if I could get a few more years out of her before she pops.

He says the bike just started chattering. If the bike still runs, is there any possibility of damage already being done? Would the bike be OK to drive 15 miles home, or would it have to be trailered?

Also, let's say a 6'5" guy just did a 15,000 mile road trip on a ninja 250 and had no comfort issues. Would this guy have a problem with the ergonomics of a savage?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: potential s40 purchase?
Reply #1 - 07/10/11 at 07:32:34

Is 40,000 nearing the end of the life of the engine? This will be my daily driver and will probably log 10,000 a year, and some road trips. It would be nice if I could get a few more years out of her before she pops.

40-50,000 is nearing piston/jug time -- and that engine already has known issues that are prompting the guy to sell it.

A replacement engine is currently moving used for $500-600 and there are some issues with electronics that mean you need to match the engine year-wise within a broad span.

To fix your engine will cost you a minimum of $250 in parts if nothing much is wrong with it.   This can ooze up to $400 if rocker and cam are damaged, going even higher if head bearings are damaged.

The seller knows what is wrong with the engine -- if he will not tell you exactly what is wrong with it then he is trying to shift it off on to you.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #2 - 07/10/11 at 07:38:43

Sounds like a good deal if you don't mind a little wrenching, maybe you can talk him down a little bit because of the tensioner.
The stock tensioner is a b!tch, you might wanna replace it with a verslavy tensioner.  While you're in there, wouldn't hurt to check the guides as well...
As for comfort, I'm only 5'8" but I think some forward controls would make things a little more comfortable for you.  Of course that's all personal preference.

As for riding it home...If the tensioner lets go while riding, you can cause some serious internal damage, i.e. valve and piston damage.  Might be a better idea to trailer it home if you *know* the tensioner is on its way out.  Here's a link for the verslavy tensioner.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1180206459

delucaja   IP Logged
CBH
YaBB Newbies

Mid Ohio Valley
Reply #3 - 07/10/11 at 07:40:36

I'd stay away from that one. I'm sure there are better buys out there for you.

1986 Suzuki Savage LS650
1993 GoldWing GL1500 Interstate
1984 Honda Shadow VT700
  IP Logged
jordan325ic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/10/11 at 07:47:11

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 07/10/11 at 07:32:34:

40-50,000 is nearing piston/jug time -- and that engine already has known issues that are prompting the guy to sell it.

A replacement engine is currently moving used for $500-600 and there are some issues with electronics that mean you need to match the engine year-wise within a broad span.

To fix your engine will cost you a minimum of $250 in parts if nothing much is wrong with it.   This can ooze up to $400+ in parts if rockers and cam are damaged, going even higher if head bearings are damaged.

The seller knows what is wrong with the engine -- if he will not tell you exactly what is wrong with it then he is trying to shift it off on to you.

The ad says the cam chain tensioner is bad and needs replacement, he's being straight with me.

$250 is for what, exactly? I did a little research on here and it didn't look that expensive, couple of gaskets and a new tensioner. What are you including?

Too bad about the engine only going to 50k before needing a rebuild. That's probably a deal breaker right there.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 07/10/11 at 08:08:37

1st it's not the tensioner that needs replacing, it's the chain and guides.  About $250

2.. I don't know how much further that bike will go with that engine.  There are several potential parts that will give you issues.  We've seen hints at which ones but at 40k you're gonna find out about all of them.  And at 10k a year you're gonna find out quick.

3.. look at the top of the piston, if there's alot of deposits, it's burning oil.  You'll need a piston kit and a bore job... about $200

here's the handy dandy buying guide...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1295653542

WWW   IP Logged
jordan325ic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/10/11 at 12:03:14

Hmm, well I'll think about it. If it's still around tomorrow I might pick it up. Researching around here it seems like the Versay thing might give me another 10k before the cam chain once again reaches it's limit, and at that point the engine will be toast anyway so a rebuild is in order. I know it's not the "right" way, but I don't see why I would go through the trouble of doing it correctly if I'm just going to toss this old engine in a year anyway.

IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #7 - 07/10/11 at 13:55:32

I recently jumped from a ninja 250 to the S40 and am super glad I did!  It is a great bike and you will love it.  If that one you found is going to be more work and money than it is worth don't be afraid to move on from it.  There are lots of S40's out there in great condition for great prices.  I have made the mistake of wanting a bike so bad I bought the first kinda of crappy looking one I found to find out it barely worked and died a few weeks later.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #8 - 07/10/11 at 14:33:14

Mind you, you can fix it .....

I could fix it for about $250 in parts no matter what was wrong with it, but I would be using some experimental techniques and methods that have no proven track record at this time.

(purely experimental methods)

If the chain tensioner is all that is wrong with it, why is he selling the bike instead of fixing it himself?  

I think he has mebbe some indicators of other issues ....

But I also get the impression you want to be riding it in the upcoming year, not working on it as a hobby.

Grin    Grin     Grin     Grin

......  heck fire, I can fix a sloppy cam chain and tensioner with a half inch hardwood dowel and some 5 minute epoxy and some black RTV sealant and that doesn't cost very much at all in real money  

($2-$3 for what little gets used ???)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
jordan325ic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/10/11 at 20:05:02

It's sold. Only lasted a few hours. Frustrating, such slim pickings around here. Other S40s are going for 3k+. Oh well, search continues.

IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #10 - 07/11/11 at 00:14:55

Dont know where your at jordan but theres usualy a couple of S40s on springfield MO craigslist at decent prices.

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #11 - 07/11/11 at 00:38:49

I second that Wolfman, MO can really be a hub for LS 650/S40 deals. I got an 01 with 5,000 miles for 1,500. It just seems a shame to buy a bike for almost a 1,000 when just a little bit more cash gets you so much more bike. But hey you know your situation and you know what you have to spend. We've all been there, "Well if you would just fork out a little more" when the amount you're currently willing to cap at is actually a little more forked out from where you started.  Grin

IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 07/11/11 at 01:39:04

I'm gonna knock on wood but I have 46,000 miles on my 02 savage and my engine is is still as tight as it was the day I bought it new. Never has had a oil leak . I was kinda hoping not to have to do a rebuild until maybe 75,000 miles. Got 33,000 miles out of the original cam chain and I think there is still lots of miles to go on my second. I think engine wear is determined more on how you ride your bike and take care of it.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #13 - 07/11/11 at 05:41:19

The Little Rock Craigslist often has several LS650/S40s for good prices.  I got a 2002 LS650 with 4,000 mi for $1200.  My RYCA-build buddy got a 2000 LS650 with 14k, he traded a dirt bike worth maybe $800 for it.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:32:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › potential s40 purchase?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.