Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fair price?? Now have a pic posted. (Read 266 times)
lonerider65
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Fair price?? Now have a pic posted.
07/08/11 at 07:04:01

Hey guys, I am currently building a savage bobber. The bike is an 01 with 16,000 miles. I am building the bike to sell. Im injured and cant really ride anymore, but I love building bikes. I cant post a pic with this post, due to this is my first posting. I should be able to in the next. The question is what would be a fair price to ask for a custom built Savage?

« Last Edit: 08/07/11 at 10:05:07 by verslagen1 »  
  IP Logged
lonerider65
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Fair price??
Reply #1 - 07/08/11 at 07:19:44

Ok well Im having trouble posting pics.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 07/08/11 at 07:26:18

lonerider65 wrote on 07/08/11 at 07:19:44:
Ok well Im having trouble posting pics.

Follow the link:
HowTo Post Pic's

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
lonerider65
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/08/11 at 09:36:35

Thanks for the info will do.

IP Logged
lonerider65
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pics uploaded
Reply #4 - 07/08/11 at 09:52:08

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Fair price?? Now have a pic posted.
Reply #5 - 07/08/11 at 12:42:44

To the right guy,... it may be worth more than the sum of it's parts... but  most buyers won't be interested...

If you're looking to sell it more quickly,... I'd change the bars...but again, to the right guy....those bars are great...

I just think they are less popular the the rest of the bikes style...

A basic price for an 01' with 16k in good order...  I'd say $1400 to $1800...
With your mods it could bring more,... or less...

Personally,.. I think it looks pretty nice, except for the bars...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
lonerider65
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/08/11 at 12:45:59

Thanks Bud, I appreciate the opinion. The bars are perfect for my taste though. When finished I would like the bike to look like it was built in the 60's. Thats my goal anyway.

IP Logged
CBH
YaBB Newbies

Mid Ohio Valley
Reply #7 - 07/08/11 at 12:47:01

Personally...the way it is in the photo, I'd say in the $800 range. It looks like it needs quite a bit.

1986 Suzuki Savage LS650
1993 GoldWing GL1500 Interstate
1984 Honda Shadow VT700
  IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #8 - 07/08/11 at 13:15:35

thats the problem with "Custom"...as long as you find a guy who has your exact taste you'll have no problem selling it. The odds of that are slim though.

I have a friend who owns a car lot and he tells me all the time people come in with their Civics and Eclipse cars with body kits, wings, wild paintjobs and graphics looking for a couple thousand over book value because the car is "Custom" and he tells them it ain't gonna happen. In his eyes, a Custom car is a huge PITA to sell, rarely fetches the high price tag and typically is a poor investment.

Also you got the guys who put this, that, and the other thing and expect somehow to get bike value AND all the money they invested. My savage as it sits in book value is worth around $1500. If I go Custom crazy and change the bars, pegs, exhaust, carb etc does that raise it's value? Hell No. People don't care what you got in it, they care about what it's worth and you might get lucky and find the guy who loves what you've done with the bike. In that case, he'd pay the extra because in his eyes it's "worth" it.

I think it's a cool bike. I think prices vary area to area. Here in Boise the economy is good, I see late 90s and 2000s Savages go for $2000-$2500 quite often. The late 80s and early 90s go for $800-$1500. I got mine for $600 but thats because it needed a new rear inner tube, carbs cleaned, new air filter, oil change, and other minor things, she was a "fixer".

Your bike looks nice, love the bars. As long as she runs strong, fires up easy and doesn't spit oil everywhere and you got all the parts for it I'd put it up for $1700, let someone talk me down to $1500 so they think they got a deal. They think thats too much, tell them the dealership has plenty of them new for $5k. People assume these buys are cheap...I don't find $5k as cheap.

You gotta remember, aside from the economy being low right now, gas is going up up up. Motorcycle prices are easily double around here what they were last year. Before I bought my Savage I spent all spring on craigs trying to find the right bike/deal. I couldn't believe how many 81, 82, 83 Suzuki GS, Yamaha XS, Kawasaki KZ and old Hondas were over priced. I saw many old, old, old UGLY bikes that weren't ready to ride yet being sold for $1000.  Shocked I saw a guy trying to sell a 83 Suzuki GS for $2000 and it didn't even run. He "Claimed" it was totally rebuilt but due to sitting in storage for 5 years, the carbs needed rebuilt again. Was green with a beige seat....ugh it was hideous.

Anyway, people want bikes right now because of the MPG. Keep that mind when selling your bike and settling on a price. Advertise the bike and say over and over "70+MPG"   "GREAT GAS SAVER"   "LOOKS COOL AND SAVES $$$" you'll sell it easy.

IP Logged
lonerider65
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/08/11 at 13:32:52

I really needed an outside opinion, Thanks.  To the guy who said that it looks like it needs alot, look closer. All it needs as it sits is controls mounted and the seat bolted on. Question is What to ask when its finished. Modifying a bike is a gamble, in this instance this is the first single cylinder bike that I have done. I know that they arent worth all that much but, they usualy sell for more than kbb during the summer months.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #10 - 07/08/11 at 16:22:42

Magickninja---70+ mpg ???? I want that bike. As you can see, I'm getting about 54.6 mpg.

IP Logged
MagickNinja

Dont sweat the petty
things, Pet the
sweaty things

Boise, ID
Reply #11 - 07/08/11 at 16:31:37

drums1 wrote on 07/08/11 at 16:22:42:
Magickninja---70+ mpg ???? I want that bike. As you can see, I'm getting about 54.6 mpg.

Local dealership has a 2011 advertised as 70+ MPG so it stuck in my head. Probably stock with very conservative riding to legally be able to post that number. Or maybe it's BS, we are talking about a dealership.

My only point being that emphasizing the mpg will help sell the bike.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #12 - 07/12/11 at 09:39:20

Price depends on where you live also. If you were in the U.K. you'd get more just cuz.
How many miles on it? Is it leaking oil? All sorts of stuff to consider but personally I think stock bikes fetch more because the new owner can do whatever they want to it.
That being said, I like what you've done and I'd ask 16-1800 for it.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
MrBrownTX

Caddo Mills TX
Reply #13 - 07/12/11 at 14:30:27

I have come to experience lately that any money you put in a vehicle to customize it is being thrown away or "enjoyed" by the person who spent it.  I have a lot of extra money in my truck that is for sale right now and I am not getting any of it back, if I can even sell it.  

Also I have done a lot of shopping for Jeeps lately and people aren't getting their money back on the custom parts on those either.

Used to have 2006 S40 http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1331666008/0
Gear up like you are going to slide across the pavement. Ride like everyone else is trying to kill you
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:14:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fair price?? Now have a pic posted.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.