Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fixed muffler leak, now running rough (Read 111 times)
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Fixed muffler leak, now running rough
07/08/11 at 05:42:34

I've had a HD muffler on for weeks for now, no problem except a little air leak where it attaches.

I put a cone filter last week and have ridden a bit with no big differences except a little more pop when I let off the throttle in first.

Last night I decided to tackle the air leak and really sealed the muffler up way better than it was. It's still not 100%, but there's barely any air escaping between the muffler and exhaust now.

It gave me a little more trouble than usual starting this morning and I actually had to use the choke to turn it over and keep it idling until it warmed up a little.

Rode a few miles, noticed rain coming, decided to drive the car. On the way back it really started to act up, popping a lot when I let off the throttle and hesitating in low gear. I stopped just before home and it was acting like it wanted to die unless I really gave it some throttle.

Need to troubleshoot it tonight, any ideas? Is it airflow/back pressure issue causing this? Should I go back to the stock air filter?

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Fixed muffler leak, now running rough
Reply #1 - 07/08/11 at 07:00:39

let the bike idle (with choke off) for a few minutes (put a fan on it so it doesn't overheat). pull the plug and see what it tells you. you want a nice tan/brown color on it. darker means too rich/too much fuel. lighter means lean/not enough fuel.

sealing up the exhaust could have uncovered a problem with how your bike is jetted.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 07/08/11 at 07:23:35

I agree with space, but my bike tends to act the same way when I'm just about out of gas. It sputters, lugs, hesitates, whatever you want to call it along with additional popping. When I switch to RES it clears up and I know I need gas. Just my $.02

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #3 - 07/08/11 at 07:32:09

Yes, that's exactly how it acted. I just put some in, but maybe I've ridden more than I realized. I should check that first  Smiley
But assuming its got fuel, that says its maybe too lean in the lower range?

Should I try adjusting the mixture screw? I've read a lot of the posts on this stuff, but I haven't messed with the carb yet & it's easy to get lost in all the responses when researching.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 07/08/11 at 07:38:08

I used to think that diving into the carb to rejet was more involved than I wanted to get. When I went to do it a few weeks ago, it was so simple that I had to ask myself why didn't I just do this sooner. It is really easy to swap the main and pilot without having to take the carb off the bike (just be REALLY sure you have a screwdriver that fits well in the bowl screws) also, make sure you are turning them the correct direction.

Next time I'm diving into the top to get at that white spacer  Huh

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Reply #5 - 07/08/11 at 07:40:22

I'm far from an expert on much of anything, but I wonder if your exhaust leak was leaning your mixture out a little, and now that you've corrected that (for the most part anyways) now you might be on the rich side of the spectrum.  Add that to a more humid (just before the rain came) part of the day and there's even less oxygen getting in their (higher humidity = less dense air) which would make you richer still.  You can try turning your mixture screw clockwise, which would lean you out a little bit, but if that bottoms out with no change then you'll need to go down a step in your pilot jet.  It's impossible to jet with an air leak somewhere.  Just my $.02, to add to EJID's.  Keep it up, you might have a whole $1 soon!   Grin

delucaja   IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #6 - 07/08/11 at 11:24:19

EJID wrote on 07/08/11 at 07:23:35:
I agree with space, but my bike tends to act the same way when I'm just about out of gas. It sputters, lugs, hesitates, whatever you want to call it along with additional popping. When I switch to RES it clears up and I know I need gas. Just my $.02

Embarrassed
Dude, I think u called it. The tank was lower than I expected. Switched to res and rode it with no trouble. Been riding more than I realized.

For the record, is the air/fuel mixture screw the little brass one on the top right of the carb next to the hose going to the motor?

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #7 - 07/08/11 at 11:36:50

SoE wrote on 07/08/11 at 11:24:19:

Embarrassed
Dude, I think u called it. The tank was lower than I expected. Switched to res and rode it with no trouble. Been riding more than I realized.

For the record, is the air/fuel mixture screw the little brass one on the top right of the carb next to the hose going to the motor?

No worries, it happens to everyone at least once.

Take a look here to see what air fuel mixture screw

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1221818822/0#0

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #8 - 07/08/11 at 11:37:23

SoE wrote on 07/08/11 at 11:24:19:

Embarrassed

There I go, getting all into a deeper issue when the simple ones haven't been ruled out...

This post has what information you need on the brass mixture plug:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1221818822/0#0

While your immediate problem (the hesitation/surging) has been fixed with fueling up, given that you have done some mods to the bike (HD muffler, K&N filter), it wouldn't be a bad idea to check the spark plug to see how you are running anyways. not too much work to get at it.

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #9 - 07/08/11 at 13:00:41

I agree. I'd like to minimize some of the extra popping I get now when letting off the throttle in lower gears.

IP Logged
SoE

Rollin' the dice on
fire...

East TN
Reply #10 - 07/08/11 at 13:23:42

Someone did me a favor and removed the brass plug at some point. Makes things a bit easier....

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 07/09/11 at 01:37:12

Problem you describe with low gas level in the tank causing very poor running seems to go away with installation of a Raptor petcock -- is it the onset of the fuel starvation vac carb symptom/effects that will eventually drive you to make the switch over to the Raptor petcock.

All the tuning and rejetting that folks are telling you to do are fine, but I'd switch the petcock first then have to go through only what is needed (some of what you see now are phantom butterflies thrown up by your early level vac petcock issues).

Raptor petcock first, then sort out what's real ....  saves effort and unnecessary rejettings.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 19:58:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fixed muffler leak, now running rough

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.