Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil leak! But is it serious and how to fix it??? (Read 250 times)
dogbot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oil leak! But is it serious and how to fix it???
07/08/11 at 15:22:31

Hi Guys,

Would appreciate some help identifying where this oil leak is coming from and what needs to be done to fix it.

I've posted a picture but unfortunately it's so dark I'm not sure it's much help at all. The oil leak appears to be coming from the bolt that is in the recess of the crank case located next to where the carb joins the engine on the left side of the bike. In the picture it's the shadowy spot behind fuel hose   Smiley

I only noticed the leak after spotting oil on the cooling fins on the left-hand side of the engine. It doesn't appear to be coming from the head because the oil is only in the lower fins just above where the engine case tapers down (and in line with the recess mentioned above, which is very oily).

For info - I've only recently bought the bike which is a 1986 model. The previous owner has done a lot of work on it which included new piston and rings and a full gasket set. So I'm hoping it's not the head gasket and just something that hasn't been torqued down properly.

What do you think?? Any advice gratefully appreciated.

IP Logged
jdeluca

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

South of Boston, MA
Re: Oil leak! But is it serious and how to fix it?
Reply #1 - 07/08/11 at 15:30:14

Looks like a cap leak for sure.  $15 part and about 4 hours for someone good with their hands I believe.  Here's a link to the tech section with a how to.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1099227295
I picked up the cap last year when I got my bike, just the wife never gives me the time I'd like to spend on mech stuff...lol

delucaja   IP Logged
dogbot
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 07/08/11 at 15:44:50

Hey jdeluca,

Thanks for the reply and link.
So is this something that can be left until winter? I don't really want to have the bike in bits when the weather is nice. (Although it's been bucketing down with rain today - typical British summer weather!  Tongue)

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #3 - 07/08/11 at 16:20:25

If it is indeed the plug leak, you can leave it until winter. Carry rags with you. It's more of an annoyance than anything else, and you won't lose a lot of oil. Ask me how I know.

FSO
  IP Logged
drulg
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 07/08/11 at 17:21:24

Yup, it is cap leak, just fixed mine not too long ago, it wasn't that bad of a fix until one of the head cover bolts seize an it took hours to get it out!!

IP Logged
RadRacer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Petaluma,Calif
Reply #5 - 07/08/11 at 18:43:52

everyone is sooo fast on the cap leak but its on opposite corner of engine id say its the head gasket didn't get re-torqued

'97 Savage stock carb #55 pilot, 1/2 spacer, #160 main,Modified Jardine, K&n air filter w/ pre-charger wrap, Nology Ign. Coil, PowerStar Spark Plug, ported head, stock cam, Verslavvy,Belt Drive
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #6 - 07/08/11 at 19:07:58

RadRacer wrote on 07/08/11 at 18:43:52:
everyone is sooo fast on the cap leak but its on opposite corner of engine id say its the head gasket didn't get re-torqued

It's possible that the head gasket may be the issue, but also remember that when the bike is on the stand, it leans left and gravity takes over. The oil rides the fins to the other side when on the stand. Ask me how I know.

FSO
  IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #7 - 07/08/11 at 19:10:35

Actually, a good way to do an outside visual is take a strong flashlight with a narrow beam and shine it up into the area just about where the exhaust head mounts. If there's oil/residue up there it may just be the plug/cap.

FSO
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 07/08/11 at 19:19:19

Most likely is the head plug leak, but...
take the tank off and the chrome covers and check the valve inspection covers and all the head cover bolts.

WWW   IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 07/09/11 at 02:27:52

And if they are all tight it is the cap. Mine has been leaking for over 10 years. Not enough to cause any harm, carb cleaner will remove the residue if it bothers you. Savage is a knock-off of a Matchless or AJS, they leaked too.

Mine leaks oil from: head cap, speedometer cable mount, shifter and the wiring from the stator. Also has standard Lucas style electrical gremlins. Other than the battery is good for 3 days if I forget to unhook it, they just aren't that annoying.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 19:53:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil leak! But is it serious and how to fix it???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.