Send Topic Print
Helmet Color.... (Read 340 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Helmet Color....
Reply #15 - 06/16/11 at 05:49:54

White has mostly been my color,I think it shows up better and is cooler in the sun.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #16 - 06/16/11 at 17:44:25

I would prefer PINK, but no go in finding one that fits. So i have black with custom reflecting whippet stickers that i made, plus there are now more stickers on the full face helmet, and my girl whippets registered name on the half helmet (Wild Child)... Wink

the helmets look ALL BLACK until headlites shine on the the stickers, or in this case, the camera flash. I like how it is subtle during the day, but safe and shiny at nite.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #17 - 06/17/11 at 06:36:27

I use a candy apple red 3/4 helmet with a bumble bee yellow, armored jacket.  My goal is to be seen.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #18 - 06/17/11 at 08:18:34

LostArtist wrote on 06/15/11 at 18:22:05:
I try to wear as light a color helmet as I can, silver or white, got one white and red one but it has red lights in the back of it.  I ride from work to home in the night so I want to be as visible as I can at night.

I think there are some stats that show that people wearing white color helmets get in less accidents, don't know where I heard that from though

i've heard the same thing - white is most visible- (why not flu orange?).  My own non-scientific observations back that up.  Helmet is the most visible part of rider and white is by far more visible than black.  I'm guessing same would apply to other bright colors, they're just not nearly as comon on the road

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 06/17/11 at 08:28:35

runwyrlph wrote on 06/17/11 at 08:18:34:
LostArtist wrote on 06/15/11 at 18:22:05:
I try to wear as light a color helmet as I can, silver or white, got one white and red one but it has red lights in the back of it.  I ride from work to home in the night so I want to be as visible as I can at night.

I think there are some stats that show that people wearing white color helmets get in less accidents, don't know where I heard that from though

i've heard the same thing - white is most visible- (why not flu orange?).  My own non-scientific observations back that up.  Helmet is the most visible part of rider and white is by far more visible than black.  I'm guessing same would apply to other bright colors, they're just not nearly as common on the road

Maybe "Most Visible" in scientific terms, may not translate exactly to most easily noticed?

I know I spot differences more readily than more of the monotonous same,, White is visible, but it doesnt exactly stand out from the norm..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #20 - 06/17/11 at 08:43:49

JOB -

I agree about the idea of being most easily noticed.

If you recall, back in the late 1950s anbd into the 60s, the USAF painted noses and tails of airplanes in orange to supposedly help prevent collisions.  They even had orage flight suits for a while to supposedly aid in seeing a downed crew member.  All of that didn't last more that about 10 years.

I think my fire engine red helment stands out fairly well - I know my bright yellow jacket does.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #21 - 06/17/11 at 09:43:18

In Navy SEAR/Survival Swimming school they tell you the majority of the time the first thing to be noticed when searching for downed aircrew/aviators is the white helmet on top of their head. They stress keeping your helmet with you at all times because of this.

I would imagine that somewhat carries over into the motorcycle world too!

...the real question is what helmet makes you visually stand out to the females!

IP Logged
weracerc
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Greensboro, NC
Reply #22 - 06/17/11 at 09:52:23

Wake51 wrote on 06/17/11 at 09:43:18:
...the real question is what helmet makes you visually stand out to the females!

the one with a decal that says
$$ Lottery Winner $$

"GOD Was Busy, He Sent The Marines"
</div
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #23 - 06/17/11 at 10:30:37

Mine is flat black, open face ,with a flip up full face visor.Probably not too safe . Also stuff that hits it like small stones or whatever ,put scratches in it.

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #24 - 06/17/11 at 11:53:10

Two 3/4 helmets of the same style, one black and one white. Time of day and weather dictate choice.

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #25 - 06/17/11 at 18:07:39

Jerry brought up something that ya'll probably won't understand. I am not color blind, but very color weak. I can be riding or driving in bright sun and completely lose a whole vehicle in the shade--especially if it is red. When using flagging tape to mark property I use the yellow, 'cause I don't see the red mixed in with green leaves. About 40 years ago I used to run lights with green at the top and red on bottom. It was a different green than today, which looks a little blue to me. You know what a cardboard box looks like. I mean raw without any color on it. My wife (sitting here) says it is a shade of brown. Red printing shows up if I look really close, but it's just a glob. I had 20-40 vision or something like it until I was 42. I could see at 40 feet what normal folks saw at 20. It's weird, but I'll bet a good percentage of the riders on here are the same way. Daddy was that way and my brother is now.  Smiley

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 06/17/11 at 20:48:51

Soooo,, what color do YOU see when you get mad?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #27 - 06/17/11 at 21:41:09

I rarely get mad. I guess I would get mad more often if I could see red like the rest of you. Grin

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #28 - 06/18/11 at 01:35:59

Funny stuff Boof! LOL!! Grin

Here's the exact Lid that one of our MTP Students wore last weekend ... and as I said, it was REALLY noticable!

Icon-Alliance Hi Viz

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Wolfman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

SW Missouri
Reply #29 - 06/18/11 at 11:08:19

Just went to a HCI model 89 modular myself recently from a fulmer 3/4.
Wanted a lil more face coverage and the flip down sun glasses...lol
Ended up with silver as all they had was silver and black.

THE MOST visible color to the human eye is whats called in the industry(hunting/firearms safety) Blaze Orange/Hunter Orange/10 mile cloth.
It just kind of reachs out and grabs your eye. Its not a naturaly occuring color in nature. BUT im sure theres pleanty along the road.

Need a small led strobe on the rear fender kinda like the ones on top of school buses. Maybe they would see us then!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/28/24 at 19:08:31

General CategoryThe Cafe › Helmet Color....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.