Send Topic Print
Synthetic Oil (Read 166 times)
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Synthetic Oil
06/16/11 at 18:06:35

I was just in Wal Mart to night in the auto department behind the desk there it said all 2011 GM car use synthetic  oil only,I didn't know that.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Synthetic Oil
Reply #1 - 06/16/11 at 18:14:37

That good to know,, but its gonna be a long time before Ill be in a position to need to remember that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #2 - 06/17/11 at 20:04:23

bill67 wrote on 06/16/11 at 18:06:35:
I was just in Wal Mart to night in the auto department behind the desk there it said all 2011 GM car use synthetic  oil only,I didn't know that.

I hate when Bill is right. Especially about OIL. New GM oil is DEXOS. It is semi synthetic. It supposedly is better environmentally. Lasts longer between changes, and something else I don't remember from my quick search. It is backward compatable for older cars. looks like we have the light bulb deal all over again. Justin, I agree about not worrying for awhile, but I don't like being made irrelevant by default.  Angry

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #3 - 06/17/11 at 20:46:06

Boofer

you mean the new GM oil (DEXOS) woin't  do what oil does.

I doin't see how it can not be good for all engines ?   either its slippery and carries heat or it doesn't .

It may be something we want  to start using in our bikes .

Huh

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #4 - 06/17/11 at 21:29:50

OHH NOO not another oil thread???

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 06/17/11 at 21:39:08

No I'm not arguing. I just don't run after the newest, latest, best new thing. And I like to have a choice of what I use. I have a 1994 Mazda 626 that I love, but the trans went out so daughter is learning to drive on it in the pasture. I have an '86, 454 C20 PU to pull my camper. (3300 lbs) I have a 2000 Grand Prix in great shape. Just like the 2004 cars and up will probably be the only ones to run high levels of Ethanol, my cars and truck will be made obsolete or I will be hunting special gas at $10 a gallon. I look at improvements with a critical eye until they prove to be good, then I will be the first to admit I was wrong. Maybe I'm wrong about this. I sure hope so.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 06/18/11 at 02:24:36

This isn't latest greatest.   BMW taught GM how to cut down on warranty costs by using synthetic oil -- BMW puts synthetic in new and THEY (BMW) change it once a year with synthetic during the warranty period.

BMW is running near zero in warranty repairs accordingly and the beemer folks think they got something for nothing -- not so, BMW did it for their own advantage.

The GM oil is semi-syn, not the latest greatest.   Just good enough for GM.

Toyota is the one that needs to go the BMW route -- they have massive in warranty on jelled up engines by letting people use dino oil.

We already have discovered synthetic oil around here.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #7 - 06/18/11 at 04:32:51

I have always used synthetic oil in my cars. Change it spring and fall. My Land cruiser had a good relatively clean motor at 400000k.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 06/18/11 at 05:59:45

How many miles can I run Mobil One in the Pontiac Vibe? Its not driven in much stop & go,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 06/18/11 at 15:19:24

You've got one of those too huh? The oil in my "fossil in law's" (father in law) was changed in February and still looks spotless. Ditto the oil in the 94 Ranger he gave me. Both were done with 10W30 conventional.

The oil in my 69 Dodge truck was changed in March, driven across the country and is still squeaky clean. 15W40 Delo.

True synthetic in a rebadged Toyota? Probably won't need changed for years. Although Mobil 1 flattened the cam in our 22RE powered Celica.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 06/18/11 at 16:07:03

WD wrote on 06/18/11 at 15:19:24:
You've got one of those too huh? The oil in my "fossil in law's" (father in law) was changed in February and still looks spotless. Ditto the oil in the 94 Ranger he gave me. Both were done with 10W30 conventional.

The oil in my 69 Dodge truck was changed in March, driven across the country and is still squeaky clean. 15W40 Delo.

True synthetic in a rebadged Toyota? Probably won't need changed for years. Although Mobil 1 flattened the cam in our 22RE powered Celica.

Yea,, you can drive it a LOONG time with that Mobil One in it..

Maybe,,

I feel just SOOO Much Better nOW,, tHANXALOT, DEWD,,

I did notice it looked pretty good to be changing it,,, I think Ill let it run a bit longer next time..

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 06/19/11 at 03:52:51

Somebody should come up with an improved filtration system to replace the standard oil filter.

Oil can run a lot longer, but the filtration system was designed to be changed out twice a year.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 06/19/11 at 05:08:33

So, I can run that Mobil One till t starts Lookin like it needs changed?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 06/19/11 at 05:22:33

Had a coworker who ran it in his 360 powered 79 Dodge cab and a half one ton, changed the filter once a year, had the oil tested every 6 months. He changed the oil at the 5 year mark. But he was using Amsoil filters.

My VN800A ran 15W40 Delo and a Wal-mart brand filter (Super Tech brand). I changed the oil twice in 18 months. Which was just over 40K miles total.

Vibe has one of the best engines to ever be in a General Mistake Company product. I prefer pushrod engines, but I wouldn't run synthetic in them until dino juice is off the market. And the metallurgy and machining standards have come a long way since the 22RE was intro'd in the mid-80s.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 06/19/11 at 05:31:06

Weve got a Toyota Matrix & the Pontiac Vibe.. both on Mobil One. Ive been changing it at 5,000 miles.. I think Ill start running it a mite further..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 19:07:26

General CategoryThe Cafe › Synthetic Oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.